WTB Bolt on performance caruretor?

GoldenMotor.com

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Has anybody out there found the definitive out of the box bolt on performance carburetor for a 80cc (67cc) ? I have read all threads I can find and even jumped on a cheap carb listed on ebay that turns out would require too much adapting to be practical. New/used doesn't matter. I'd rather pay a little more to get one that is proven to work than keep taking shots in the dark. Tinkering is fun, but I’d rather ride.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Try the search feature at the top of the page, and search "Dellorto" or "Mikuni" both have excellent reviews. I lean toward the Dellorto as replacement main jets are only $5 and a number of other reasons. Had their website somewhere, I'll have to look... Walter F.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks Walter. I saw that both were mentioned but couldn't determine if there was a preference. Do you know size/model will fit right on?
Well my good sir, I searched Dellorto and found, 20th entry down, the answer to your question! "High Performance Dellorto carb found" SEEK and ye shall find! Walter F.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Yeah, thanks, but that's one of many treads that pored over before I posted this.

Dellorto SHA or PHBG? Dellorto knock off? CNS? Mikuni? Lever controlled? Cable controlled? And a half dozen model sizes are mentioned. Plus multiple jet sizes. UGH! Makes my brain hurt. Looks like there several good possiblities...

I am hoping that someone out there can give his/her personal recommendation on the brand size/model and "best guess" jet size if they were in the market to upgrade their 80cc (67cc) engine.
Or the one they wish they bought.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I see what you want now, you want now-you want somebody to make up your mind for you! Makes your brain hurt, it's only research DUH you ever give any thought to contacting Dellorto and Mikuni directly, explain what you want and get their feedback??? What exactly are you a Professor of? You said in your original post you didn't mind paying a little more so why are you even considering clones and stock carbs? Hey while you're looking see what Dellorto has for a 49cc China Girl for me. Walter F.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. You forgot to include your personal recommendation; you must still be on the fence between Dellorto and Mikuni yourself.
I pulled out a fresh sheet of blank paper and made up a tally sheet of responses.
I made three columns across the top, Dellorto, Mikuni and undecided/no opinion/inconclusive. Your response is going in the third column.
Thanks for your input. No need to vote again. :)
Anybody else?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
You will never find a simple bolt on that is purely plug and play with the stock inlet manifold. At the very least you will need to tune it for awhile - order some jets, etc. Oh it will fit, but you'll have some real fun.

I bought a Dellorto Knockoff and in most ways it was not as good as the stock carb. I ended up removing it and going back to my tuned stock carb.

If you read the researched threads you can make some of the Walbro's work and perhaps a Mikuni, and a real Dellorto. The ultimate to me would be a custom manifold and a matched Walbro. Short of that, I find that with the purchase (or make) of a proper jet and a little tuning, the stock carb does pretty well for a POS.