Wounded hero tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Here's a look at another one of the builds I'm presently working on. This is will be a electric power assist - hand peddled recumbant tadpole. Built for a Disabled Vet with a both legs amputated. I like the rest of you, who served your country. Have more heros than can be easily named. This bike is for one of them, a mere token of our ever so humble thanks. .flg. From everyone here at RicksRides usflg Pics: parts both new and a couple repurposed parts

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
rear suspension: usflg check back for updates , please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you think abot this project

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Keep the progress reports coming. We'd all like to see the finished product and the proposed owner/rider with it. Thanks for sharing.
Tom

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Nunya ,2door, Thank you for the interest. This build will be our first one with our newly designed pedal assist electronics (pat. pending). Unlike Bionics where you choose your assist i.e. their 25%- 200%. With ours you type your desired speed into a small keyboard, start pedaling and the riders effort is then measured by a cumputerized torque sensor ( pat. pending)at the crank. The sensor tells the computer how much power the electric motor needs to deliver. Example he wants to cruise 15mph but only has the ability to do 10, the motor then supplies the rest of the power.the computers response to the riders input is virtually instant. While the bike is in physical therapy mode the rider must put out some effort, no pedaling no movement. Flip a switch to cruise mode and roll out at 18mph for 20-22miles. usflg I'll post pics of this unit when we reach that stage of the build. We are looking for a manufacturer to mass produce these electronics, and hope to have them available for sale to the general public from our company by the fall of 2012

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Now I am really interested. I recently found out that I have an aggressive form of Rheumatoid Arthritis that attacks all joints. I love to ride my pedal bike but it is getting to be more and more difficult these days. I am now following this thread with a great deal of interest.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
I was just talking with my son, who is a quad and working out on his arm bike as I type, about this as he had asked me awhile ago if there was a system like this. The question he had was how does the system allow for changing speed for conditions and slowing down especially?

Say you want to your top speed to be 15 mph but need to vary that down to say 10 to go around obstacles/corners. And how do you brake to a stop if you don't have the hand strength to pull a brake lever?

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
mabman, a good question with a reasonably simple answer ; Electrical actuater arms and a small custom designed computer boards. Brakes are activated by a variable pressure switch the further you push it the harder the brakes are applied.The switch only has half inch of travel requiring a mere 1/2 pound of pressure to fully activate. They can be installed just about any where on the bike with a few different types. Where I work we hand build specific need bikes. 2 years ago we began with a couple motorized versions, now we deal with electric, gas and even a little with alcohol burners. We rely heavily on in house, custom built electronics that we are hoping to offer the general public by this fall. usflg We have done more to this project and will be posting pics soon

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Thanks for the explanation Rick. This project sounds really good and will provide a new mobility option to the disabled community which is vast as I have come to find out via my son's injury. Hopefully you will be able to find the funding you need to develop this for market by the fall as you hope. I know for sure my son will be interested and will know others that are also.

I might suggest getting in touch with the mobility departments at the larger rehab facilities in the country like Craig in Denver and Shepherd in Atlanta when you get a bit further down the path. They see the need for something like this every day and have for a long time which could get you quite a que in short order.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Motorized bicycle with our Wounded Hero bikes it's really the electronics that help make them so versitile and safe to use regardless of physical disability. We make a wide variety of custom electronics, including tru-pedal assist,tru-hybrid controls (turns motor on or off as battery reaches full or low charge), electrically opperated brake, throttle and steering. Hybrid tadpoles get around 230-240 mpg pulling a small trailer with 180 lb. rider reaching 35 mph+ w/gas engine and 18mph w/elec motor. We are hoping to be riding a few of the fully loaded models from Chicago to Ft. Hood this summer on a Disabled Veteran Bike ride for charity. I think it'll be a great way to see the countryside and a cheap vacation at that.

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Tom ; Thank you, I've admired your builds logged on this site,you sir have skills. You a vet? U.S.Army here. Yes I am fimiliar with Freedom Concepts, they make some fine products. Most of them are helper based. Their motto of cycle of mobility defines them perfectly and thats great when dealing with children, the mentally disabled or even those with debilitating cases such as MS or MD. What about adults who want things a little more indepent. We build bikes here that (regardless of a persons physical challenges) can be without any help. Allowing not only the ability to get out in the fresh air and sunlight, but the independence to do it when ever you want.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
More pictures when they're available, Rick. We like to see progress pics of any build. Yours will be of particular interest to many of us.
Tom

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Oh im so t'd off they were supposed to send 20mm spindle and sent 15mm instead guess I make my own tomorrow, guess i can use theirs on a later build, will post the progress pics tomorrow evening DANG