work stand

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi William, welcome!

Theres a bunch of DIY ones using an old front forks. If ya have an over hang or garage with rafters, Harbor Fright has a pully system to hoist a bike up that makes it a breeze to work on. Can even make one out of found/scrap wood.

The cheap pully one could be used on a tree branch.

Really depends on what ya have to work with, where.

Lots and lots of ways. What space do you have?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The directions say it is rated up to a hundred pounds, if I remember correctly. But have had a 79cc HF build (130 something lbs) hanging from the rafters for a couple of years. What I do is hoist it up, then lower down on crates or something just enough so its steady. But can just let it dangle. Works great! And Harbor Frieght cheap.

Post 629 has pictures, https://motorbicycling.com/threads/building-a-work-shop.40014/page-32

Awesome if ya have rafters!

Post pics, what ever ya decide. Its cool to see what folks come up with.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It is steady enough just hanging. But earing on the side of caution incase the product has changed. I'll get fired if I get one more member hospitalized, snork.

...than there is all that paper work...

(KIDDDING!!!!)

Reactions: fasteddy

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Pat.

I've been thinking for years, a clothing rack like ya see on the street in the garment district of NYC. Put a pully/hoist system like the if one. Then could move it around the shop or outa the way.

Love the hoist thing. In my shop, the bike can just be hoisted up into the rafters and ya have all that room to work with. Works really great. But the hooks are scary chinsy . It's less than 20 bucks in parts to make a better DIY one. But the if has a cool locking thing. DIY one would have to be figure 8ed around a double hook or something. So has 2b done one handed.

Gonna rig an electric version using a bumper winch. Would be one handed control everything.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
hi dan
i will be using a garage for the build,
do you think the hf is stable enough, or is there a way to hold it steady?

I just looked at the Harbor Freight site and a 750 pound engine stand like Sportscar Pat uses is $48. You can't get a solid bike stand any cheaper than that and it rolls around. If you have a Harbor Freight store near you this would be perfect.

Steve.

Reactions: Dan and indian22

William G Vanslyck

Feb 16, 2018
Here is what I have been using for years. Modified engine build stands. Very heavy duty and portable.

Electra Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr
this looked like the best way to go,
i like it,
20180227_191436.jpg
20180227_191407.jpg
20180227_191500.jpg
i do some wood working so...
i came up with this 1, 2x4 and a old table saw stand had a small mitre saw on it already had plywood with storage below,
screwed hanger bolt into 2x4 [with glue]
bolt goes in kick stand hole with washer and nut. so far works great!
this is my first try at a board track bike
love the vintage look..
thanks guys for the imput.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Like it William!

Hey, my bad that it took so long to post. I only saw your post due to pics was waiting for modding when I went to hit the like button and it wasn't there. So that's why it didn't post right away. In case you were wondering or even noticed. But my fault, in any event. Just crazy busy and have not been helping out here as much as I need to.

That and I locked my self out. LoL, I do that once a year. Poor Eric. (our host) Good guy and always gets me back in.

Funny story. When Eric got us the new forum software, I was playing with the mod tools and banned myself. Good for a laugh but sooo embarrassing.

But back to your stand. Very cool. Thinking one like that on rollers and a hoist like mine.

So ya have it all. Can hide, move out of the way. Or/and. Lower it onto stand and move around as needed. Best of both worlds.

Like it!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
William, with that frame, ya gonna make or get an inframe tank? Would rock the whole look, me thinks.

William G Vanslyck

Feb 16, 2018
hey Dan
yes have a in frame tank, will keep you posted on progress!!
im sure i will have some other questions [ its my first build]
thanks again for responding!!!

bill

William G Vanslyck

Feb 16, 2018
hi dan,
just looked at my profile, first time it struck me 66!! holy s..., is that me! wow still don't feel it. its only a number!
do i get extra point's for making it this far!?
love motorcycles riding since 1972 riding across country 5 times, also canada.going riding in italy an Switzerland in sept.
found a new passion for board track since going to hd museum in Milwaukee, Beutiful classic look. will never be able to afford a orig. so these are a great way to appreciate the era, such a great time for m/c.

Reactions: Dan