With clutch out bike has little to no compression

GoldenMotor.com

Blizz

Feb 7, 2022
I recently bought a new crank case as the old crank case had almost all the threads stripped and destroyed in it, I'm in Australia so the best brand of parts and engines we have here is really only cdh motors on ebay but im completely unsure as to why i have no compression all gaskets are brand new and i am still using all the old engine components from my old case i have just ordered a new piston along with new rings and i am using a different cylinder that wasn't on the engine originally as my mate is using my original cylinder but don't see how that can be an issue as to why i have no compression any ideas or thoughts as to why i dont have compression????

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Over tightening the head bolts will cause the head to warp (& cause a compression leak).

Remove the head, use a piece of sandpaper on some glass & gently sand the head surface flat again.
Then install a new head gasket & torque the head bolts to 12 ft/lbs.

Let us know if that fixed the problem.

Blizz

Feb 7, 2022
Over tightening the head bolts will cause the head to warp (& cause a compression leak).

Remove the head, use a piece of sandpaper on some glass & gently sand the head surface flat again.
Then install a new head gasket & torque the head bolts to 12 ft/lbs.

Let us know if that fixed the problem.
I have already sanded down the head and tightened the head bolts to the point to where i cannot tighten them no more with a normal socket wrench and it still feels to be the same amount of compression nearly none

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
When you were assembling it did you check to see if the piston reached the top of the cylinder? There are two different pistons, type A and B, if you know the piston travels to the deck of the cylinder you have a leak as Norm said. Try to true the head and Don't overtighten it, low grade aluminum warps easy, always use a torque wrench. 12 foot pounds is all it needs.

Attachments

Blizz

Feb 7, 2022
No sorry I ment before I sanded down the head I did that after sanding it down and torquing the head to 12 foot pounds the compression is still the same

Blizz

Feb 7, 2022
When you were assembling it did you check to see if the piston reached the top of the cylinder? There are two different pistons, type A and B, if you know the piston travels to the deck of the cylinder you have a leak as Norm said. Try to true the head and Don't overtighten it, low grade aluminum warps easy, always use a torque wrench. 12 foot pounds is all it needs.
The piston has a good amount of room to travel and isn’t touching the deck of the cylinder so I still don’t understand as to why I have almost no compression

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The difference in the two piston’s is a little over 3mm, if you can measure from the deck of the cylinder to the piston at TDC you may find the problem

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Looks like you have the wrong piston, compare the old piston to the new one. That looks like a type B piston, you need a type A. The only way to know is to compare the two.

Blizz

Feb 7, 2022
I ordered a new piston around 3 days ago should be arriving today unsure if I ordered the correct one or not I believe I may have gotten type B and type A mixed up i’ll order a type A now

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
How do you know you have little or no compression?

Just curious about what has lead you to believe this is your issue ..??????

When you pull the cyl. look and see what the makings on the side of the connecting rod say, if its marked ZAE50 then you have what is called a "half breed" geometry engine, these engines are 38mm stroke but use the Type A piston with what we call a "low hole" piston.

The piston in these particular engines that I've had myself and seen lack around .060" reaching top of cyl. when at TDC.

When everything is right, good rings, good cyl. with no gouges in wall, etc.... they will still run "OK" not great power, but OK...

Judging from what I see in the pic you posted here, Im guessing you have an engine with a rod marked ZAE50 but I could be wrong... its for sure if I am, its not the first time...LOL

again, how do you know that you have little or no compression?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I hope its something as simple as a wrong piston and you have it back up to snuff quickly.

I do know that in my experience if you mount a type B piston to a crank that has the short con rod for the older type 40mm stroke engines, the crank will not rotate past the piston skirt making contact with crankshaft counter weights so I know you dont have a type B piston on a ZL marked Rod and If you put a type A piston on a 38mm stroke long rod which I believe is 4mm longer, the piston will come way up above cyl. deck at TDC.

Will be interesting to finally know what you have going on.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey Mapbike look at the picture above, if that is top dead center it shouldn’t have much compression. I hope its ok I used the picture of your engine to show what it should look like

Reactions: mapbike