who has a moped license?

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
has anyone on here gotten a moped license? if so what did you have to go through to get it and how much was it?

Doug

May 17, 2008
Metro Detroit
I registered my bike as a moped in Michigan.

I just went up to the secretary of state with the bike's serial number (1950s Columbia) and told them it was a "Whizzer" I was restoring. The lady had no idea what I was talking about, but asked if I had the title. I said I didn't think it was ever titled and that I bought it at a garage sale.

She put it in for a title check (they run the SN), and called me to come back when it went through. Since it didn't show up as being previously registered they issued me a new registration and gave me a license decal.

I know some think it sacrilege, but legally my bike is considered a 'moped' now, has a license sticker on the fender and I have a registration in my wallet. I have ridden past several police officers and they haven't given me a second glance.

Here in Michigan they don't inspect the bike or anything.

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
I had to have my china build inspected had to have headlights taillights turnsignal's horn and acceptable brakes. the only thing I fudged on was the under 50 cc thing .

I went through the secretary of states office in Hastings Michigan I am registered as an assembled Moped.

Ted

mazdaflyer

Mar 22, 2009
Kansas
I had to have my china build inspected had to have headlights taillights turnsignal's horn and acceptable brakes. the only thing I fudged on was the under 50 cc thing .

I went through the secretary of states office in Hastings Michigan I am registered as an assembled Moped.

Ted
So how did you install turn signals???

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
there is no moped license,you can use just a regular car license if you need one at all, you dont need no motorcycle license.

and in my town if i try that one at my dmv,they'll laugh at me and ask me to leave.
in my town must be a real moped,not a bike with engine,but i could buy a junk moped and put my bike engine on it and register it,if i could find a junk moped with no engine.

Last edited:

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
They actually seal better then I thought, my bike got drenched the other night by the sprinklers and they still work fine. I did move my bike though, didn't want to push it.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Roland has the Tucson, Arizona rules on his site, I think.
Whizzers in Arizona are registered as "Moped" because they are over 49cc .
The china bikes are luckily not regulated except by personal responsibility of their riders. :D
I should add that mopeds are required to have plates, insurance and a drivers' license.

Last edited:

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Anything over 49cc is labeled as a moped even though most "mopeds" have no ped's... Tricky wording.. Just beware of selling yourselves down the toilet.
Own a tank and ride a bike! Why pay for foreign oil? Why waste gas? Why be defenseless?

Pink Floyd... Is there anybody... Out there?.......

I rode through a township and they stopped me and told me that residents of that township require a 30 dollar a year or so permit. It did not apply to me so I split. That said..

In my christmas stocking I want to pay for..
Walking and breathing tax
Bike tire disposal tax.
Lawnmower tax (because the consume more gas 5x more than my MAB) My MAB helps me pedal faster BTW.
I also can't wait to pay any and all Obama U.N. carbon taxes associated with freezing my arse on a winter's day.
All this I will pay with my Chinese world currency credit chip embedded in my arm.
I also want to get hit by a drunk congressman or Ambassador with diplomatic immunity and dual chitizenchip.

Besides I was worth 50 points after they hit me!

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Every state can set its own laws about whether a license is required, whether it is a moped or not and what in a motorcycle.

For instance, in Indiana, if it is over 50ccs, it is a motorcycle- not a moped, a motorcycle. This includes scooters, Whizzers, all the way up to a Boss Hoss with a 50. It must have all required motorcycle equipment and you will need a motorcycle endorsement on your license.

If it is under 50ccs, has a transmission that does not require shifting, has 2hp or under and has a design speed of 25 mph or less, it is considered a motorized bicycle- no license is required (operator or registration), but a rider must be at least 15 years old and have a state I.D. card if they do not have a driver's license. This includes an scooter or moped or any 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle under 50 ccs. If a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle does not meet these requirements, it is a motorcycle.

Many states may have similar requirements, but no one can accurately say that all states do this, or all states do that.

I believe that compliance with all applicable laws and registration when required is a good thing.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
For one's own sake yeah OBEY or die basically. I love being cynical.. I also see dead people (hippies) and UFO's or UBO's (unidentified bicycle objects) rather. If you see the kid down the street riding his first MAB then by all means make a citizens arrest! Is there always humor in irony...?
Opinion:
All laws are not a "good thing". Lobby, call, complain, protest or become a politician to change laws that might be unfair to many and fair to a 1/1000the or higher percentage of people who already use "the heard" for monetary gain. But some poor guy that wants to visit his dying mom in a hospital 20 miles away should not have to be stepped on by the WHIMS of billionaire bankers or millionaire politicians. At least here in the USA some people still define freedom as "being free" vs "being governed by foreign law and banks" some embrace every new law and live on Little Debbie snack cakes, Beef (it's whats for dinner) and all the drugs their doctor(s) prescribe becoming bloated and impotent. If this has gone over anybody's head then please read/ buy "The Revolution: A Manifesto: Ron Paul". It still ranks #200 on Amazon a year after the release and it will help you decide what you may think is fair and just and what is hidden from all forms of media today. If somebody wet's their bed do they continue wetting or try and fix the problem? No need to answer.. Just love what's left of your freedom and if you can get a job these days even better!

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
has anyone on here gotten a moped license? if so what did you have to go through to get it and how much was it?
Like someone mentioned, all states have their own laws. Out here, we get our bikes and mopeds "registered" and we receive a tag for "Bicycles/Mopeds" that we have to affix to some permanent part of the frame. Cost 15 bucks, but it's forever. Aside from registration, most scooters/mopeds and motorized bikes fall into a rather large grey area as to compliance and rules of the road. So long as we don't get stupid, we're pretty much left alone.

Most of my bikes and scooter are not registered or is, but not under my name. I gotta get busy. Since most of the sellers were military personnel and already gone, I need to use a Statement of Fact form to say that I am the owner. So long as the bike has not been reported stolen, it's mine.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
In response to Mr. Roadkill,

Wow...

Anyhoo, my reference was specifically as to motorized bicycling laws. It is better for all involved in this hobby/transportation modality if we comply with the applicable laws. Flaunting those laws will not help us move towards more MB friendly laws. Agitating for better laws, whatever form that takes within the law is a good thing. I agree- run for office, lobby, write letters, etc.- whatever- but at the same time try to comply with the laws that exist.

As for the rest of it- I have a significant problem with much of what is going on in halls of government these days, but I refuse to blame whatever is going on in my life on unamed "others" like corporations and bankers. That is pure populist garbage and is the same as poverty pimps blaming the "man". You have a problem with the direction of the country? Look to your left, right and in the mirror. There's your problem. The people still elect the Congress and the President.

Now, back to the issue at hand. In my state, there is not a registration requirement. If there were, I would follow it. Why would I want to get pulled over and fined? Some earlier posters in this topic have utilized some creative means to get registered that seem perfectly legal to me. Seems like a good idea.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i registered my bike in california. one time fee of 19 bucks, and i have a plate and paperwork. didn't need an inspection or anything, just filled out an online form, printed it out and sent it in with the money.

i'm going to get an M1 (motorcycle) permit this week.