Which Bike Rack For Motorized Bikes?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Enroute to work, the pedal chain on "the Dragon Lady" slipped off and shortly after I got a flat on the front tire. Drat! I'll be late for work.

Luckily I was on the bikepath a mile from home when this happened. My son brought my tools and the van. Time was precious so I removed both tires, drained the gas into a container and carefully placed everything into my van. Son dropped me off at work and took the bike home in pieces. I reminded him not to smoke while driving because of the bike's gas fumes.

After lunch I walked over to the bike shop and inspected a bike rack I'd phoned and asked about. As luck would have it, son walks into the bike shop with my front tire. They changed the tire and installed the bike rack while we waited. The rack is a Saris 801 Bones 3, made to safely carry three bicycles. I figured this would be strong enough to carry "The Dragon Lady", my heavy bike.

This is the rack: Discount Truck & Car Racks from ORS Racks Direct: Yakima Racks - Thule Racks - Roof Racks Bike Racks Kayak Canoe Surfboard Snowboard Ski Carriers

If all goes well, I should be transporting my newly-purchased 130-pound motorized bicycle home on my new rack..fly

That way I don't have to borrow my friend's truck to pick it up.

SO my question is...How do you transport your motorized bike for whatever reason?

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I too am wondering about this question as I do plan on traveling in the west by car and do not want to leave my bike behind. I had thought about a roof rack as it would keep the bike at a natural position.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
SO my question is...How do you transport your motorized bike for whatever reason?
In the back of my truck; in fact I would like to ride my MB around Tombstone,AZ. It's about 140 mile round trip to & from my house to Tombstone, I would not have enough time to tour Tombstone if I rode my MB there so I might truck it.

I might even take a side trip to Bisbee

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
As luck would have it, the Saris rack fit my Chevy Cavalier AND my son's Nissan Sentra perfectly.

Tomorrow if all goes well I'm buying a used 130-pound bike and transporting it home on my new rack.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
a 130 lb. bike? What kind of bike is it? I had two bikes with HT motors on my rack once it it worked okay. I have a Hollywood rack that straps on to the back of any car and that seems to work fine.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I traded my son's two-year-old Toshiba laptop for this 2006 Whizzer bike and brought it home on my rack. dance1

whizzer bike

It was a PITA to strap it down and transport it 10 miles to home.bld.

Nothing lined up; I had to remove the fuel tank and loosen the wiring harness. It took my son and me 90 minutes to mount the bike securely.

The registration paper says the Whizzer weighed 130 pounds, but it's much lighter than "The Iron Dragon", which has front friction drive, rear chain drive and twin Mitsubishi engines.

I would not recommend this rack to carry a Whizzer bike. It's sturdy enough, but mounting straps don't line up with the bike's frame.

Last edited: