where rubber meets the road

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
just taking a census, I guess it depends what climate you live in! do you prefer knobbies or do you prefer street or do you change from street when its summer to knobbies in the winter? I currently riding on street tires 26x2.125 but plan on changing to a good knobbie of some kind soon. midwest winters are treacherous!!!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I like to run with an agressive tread design, and as big of a tire I can clear the bike frame with when I can. I feel safer knowing I've gota good flexing clawing tire.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
michelin 26x2.8 very aggressive knobies for me. This is going on my next custom build with jackshaft. I lived in Austin Texas for awhile ,and soon found out that after a rain the bike comes out from under you! Bigger clawing flexable tire is my moto year round. Some poeple probly want somthing very quite ,and smooth. I just feel safer on tires that I know will grab the road! I put 3000 miles on a set of these just peddling. Now that the ch does the work I really don't care if they have rolling resistance!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
filestyle, So do you ride in the snow?

I currently have knobbies and I think I will keep them that way for the winter. Not sure how much of winter I'll be able to ride through, but we'll see. Trying to come up with an idea for a cheap diy form of studs for the tires...

I would like to get some street tires for the summer though.

Last edited:

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
have'nt ridden in the snow YET! I have slowed down a little because of the cold right now, but still ride on the weekend's when I can. it was cold this past sunday but I managed to get out a bit and play. Iam a little nervous about icy conditions!

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I just put on new tire and thick tube on the rear last week after my chain ate the side out, Coming home today in the rain I blew out the front at 25mph. I could not use the front brake and could not use the coster brake because the lack of control. Used flitstone foot brakes. Replaced it with a thick tube and new tire. Can't risk not having good tires at high speed.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
I don,t know about snow conditions where you live, but here in Canada it,s dangerous to ride a motorized bike in snow, We almost always get ice under a layer of snow and thats a killer on a M.B.. I wait until theres no snow or ice before taking out my M.B..
It will not matter how good a snow tire you have, on ice you WILL wipe out.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I don,t know about snow conditions where you live, but here in Canada it,s dangerous to ride a motorized bike in snow, We almost always get ice under a layer of snow and thats a killer on a M.B.. I wait until theres no snow or ice before taking out my M.B..
It will not matter how good a snow tire you have, on ice you WILL wipe out.
Even with studded tires?

The snow here doesn't generally linger in the streets luckily.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Even with studded tires yes,unless they are spiked and numerous. I live on a lake that is frozen solid 3-4 months of the year (Lake Simcoe)and run snowmobiles with studded tracks , on pure ice even a snowmobile will slide a long way before stopping.On a M.B. you would slide too but Im sure the bike would slide out from under you.On my lake they have motocross ice races every winter too , but the tires on these bikes have specialized ice spikes.and still theres plenty of big wipeouts!!

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
this is what they used on motocross tires for ice outLAW series Ice Screws

Part#: 261-1500
Box qty: 500
Lenght: 1.5"

Application:
Motocross, ATV, Automobile Racing
(NOT LEGAL FOR ROAD USAGE)

Price: 109.00$ CDN

ULTIMATE series Ice Screws

Part#: 261-1250
Box qty: 500
Lenght: 1.25"

Application:
Motocross, ATV, Automobile Racing
(NOT LEGAL FOR ROAD USAGE)

Price: 105.00$ CDN

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The old timers told me bluntly when I was young, wait till the warrenty is gone! I did quarter pikes half pikes. Way to many blows to the knees. I know I peddled well over some 60,000 miles in my life time. Still got some warrenty left. You all darn well be checking yourselv'es. It only takes once!:p