wheels for a 29" bike

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
So I can't find a 29" coaster brake single steel wall rear wheel with heavy 12 or 11 g spokes. Most are 48 skinny spoke. All Aluminum dual wall failures waitng to happen. Any Ideas?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Nope! I ended up using the alum. back wheel 48 skinny spokes with BBR sprocket adapter and 48 t sprocket. so far about couple hundred miles no prob yet but I keep a close eye on that wheel.
https://motorbicycling.com/media/dsc00484.12164/#media I only weigh 155 or so, a heavier person may have less luck? I did not use the front wheel that came on the bike because I couldn't find a 48 spoke Drum Brake Hub. Ended up finding a 36 spoke 29" wheel then I had a drum laced in at the bike shop. NEVER NEVER use the Universal Bolt on Disc Caliper mount on these front Forks. They pop off of the axle (one of two mount points) and will kill you. https://motorbicycling.com/media/dsc00498.12171/#media I lived because when it happened to me I was about walking speed. Caliper Mount popped out went int spokes and shattered disc. I got pics didn't upload so disgusted.
As far as Wheels go...Nothing in the after market world for 29" bikes that I can find. Be Safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Allen I'd just read your post yesterday and then went for a short test ride on a bike with a front disc brake adapter of a style that I'd not tried before & it jumped out of line, fortunately I was almost home and going maybe 5 mph at the time so no harm but I was very fortunate, no damage and no injury.. I'll use this one for a pattern & build one that will work. All disc adapters aren't bad, but some are...also some forks aren't great candidates for most, stock adapters. Take caution if it looks funky it probably is...first comes pride (not summer) then the fall (ouch), lol...

Rick C.