wheel wont spin

GoldenMotor.com

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
One of our rides on the Great River Road.
Followed the Mississippi River for a 60 mile round trip. Only failure we had was a master link on a drive chain came apart. Of course I carry a wide range of parts so put a new master link in and it was "back on the road again".

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You don't need to go to the parts store, again. Cut 1/4" off of the wire you have and screw it back into the CDI. Make SURE you get the screw started in the exact center of the wire where that black thread is.

I hate resistance wire for these bikes. If the person doesn't realize what he's working with he will not get spark. That silly carbon impregnated thread is too easily destroyed when trying to thread it into the CDI. If there is not a good electrical connection there will be no ignition source to the spark plug.

Cut the wire so you have a good flat surface to screw into the CDI and start over. You're lucky that the factory didn't glue the original wire in. That is one of the dumbest mistakes ever made with these kits. At least you don't have to deal with that.

Your wire should thread into the CDI as long as you get it centered and the metal contact in the CDI makes good contact with the core of your wire.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No matter the type or brand, the black stuff is usually carbon. That's what they use as a conductor as opposed to a metallic core. It will conduct electricity, if you get good contact between it and the screw in the CDI. Resistance wire has all kinds of different construction. Some have fiberglass, some cotton, some polymars. The key to using it on our bikes is the very center core, whatever color it is. That's where the conductive material is and where you want the screw in the CDI to make contact.

The wire, if correctly sized, about 7mm, should be self centering into the CDI's socket. To assure that, the end of the wire must be cut square and flat. I'd use a very sharp razor blade.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Which is why I'm so against using resistance wire for the ignition on these little engines.
There is too much chance of a bad electrical connection where you most need it. Resistance wire is designed to be used with a different type of connector and doesn't lend itself well to the screw-in type we have with our CDIs.

Try a local motorcycle or lawn mower repair shop. Ask them for copper core spark plug wire. Some auto parts stores still carry it but usually only the older ones. New chain stores like Pep Boys, O'Rileys, etc. only carry resistance wire. Some NAPA stores still have it in bulk rolls but not on the shelf. You'll need to find a knowledgable counterman who knows what you're looking for. It is avalable on-line. You'll have to seach for it.

Tom

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
@brown here is a pic of how my carb and fuel line look now
also i had this idea. could i strip the insulation off the copper wire, remove the metal contact from the automotive wire, and connect them somehow and stick that back into the rubber boot from the automotive wire?

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Here I go AGAIN, Listen to 2door. Cut the wire clean and square, screw it into the CDI, It dont have to hold like a torqued down nut. as long as it dont just "fall" off. With the cap back on the plug you dont really even need the boot. The boot is to keep you from getting a shock and other things from interfering with and grounding the plug. So, screw it into the CDI, clip it on the plug and ride it. The boot dont do a thing to help it run. If it was a bad plug and wire this whole time I'm gonna feel a little silly. I always put a better plug wire on them so the problem rarely comes up. And I almost always, ("almost" always anyway,) upgrade the plug. And since CDI's rarely fail, The only thing left is the coil.
fatdaddy.usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
BRO!!!, Just take the wire ya showed us in post# 153 Make sure the end is cut clean, screw it into the CDI, Push it onto the plug and ride it. The wire you show has a factory connection and are VERY RARELY bad. This aint rocket science. You can take a lamp cord wire and make it work. Install the plug and wire and start it. You dont even have to worry about the boot yet.
fatdaddy.usflg
If yer worried about the wire, check the continuity. I'm pretty sure It'll check out OK.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
If ya want, you can pry the end off the wire and put it on yer better wire. just make sure a part of the copper wire is solidly touching the metal end and crimp it on. I still think if ya screw on the wire you have it'll work. you dont have to be able to swing from the connection, just so it dont fall off is all it needs. push in while turning. Or like I said before, yank a wire from a junk car. most wires dont have "fluffy stuff" on em.
fatdaddy.usflg

You're only about an hour and a half from San Jose, Bring it here and I'll be glad to get it running and ride yer bike for ya.LOL

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Captain, there are a lot of guys using resistance wire and have no problems with it. I don't personally like it but that doesn't mean it won't work. Do what Fatdaddy and I both told you to do. Cut the wire square and screw the darn thing into the CDI just make sure the little screw in the socket goes into the very center of the wire.

Either put the rubber boot back on, or not, your choice. If you leave it off just make sure not to reach down and touch the top of the plug when the engine is running or you're trying to start it.

Top of the plug: You didn't answer my question when I asked if you screwed the top cap back on your spark plug. It MUST be there to use the connector you have now. If you removed it I hope you kept it. That automotive connector will not work with just threads showing on the top of the spark plug.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oh man. Where do we go from here? I wish Merced was next door to Denver. I'd get you running today. Alas, you're several hundred miles from me.

Okay, do you still have the original spark plug wire? The one that came with the engine?

If so, cut it square on one end and thread it into the CDI. It is a metallic core wire and it should thread in and stay. Now, on the other end strip off about 1" of insulation leaving bare wire. Twist that wire so the strands stay together. Loosen the top cap on the spark plug, wrap the wire around the threads and screw the cap back down tight on the wire. Make sure it is tight.

Now go try to start the bike. Let us know what happens and don't touch the top of the spark plug.

Tom

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
well i took the one of the ends of the automotive wire off and stripped a little of the insolation off of the stock wire to expose the core wires. i stuck the contact on the end of the wire and squeezed it with pliers so it would grab onto the wires. then i slid that sucker into on of the rubber boots and used the ohm meter to check resistance. i got like 0.5 ohm. gunna try and see it this will do.

Attachments