wheel wont spin

GoldenMotor.com

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
As long as you have the carburetor assembled correctly that is all there is to it. Correct.

When you are adjusting the idle screw is the carburetor responding to the adjustment. Is the rpm dropping when you turn the idle screw counter clockwise?

If not you have another very common problem that is pretty easy to solve.

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
im not letting it run while im adjusting it yet its still too high to leave it alone. im just doing it incrementally for now. also i got wrapped up in skyoing my parents... so i had to take a little break

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Well if you adjust the idle screw while it is running and while you are turning the idle screw counter clockwise and if it doesn't change the idle speed ..................you have a problem.

But it one we can fix but I will need some feed back on what it is happening.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
no thats not happening im ok. im just still working on getting it just right. i dont feel like i have the same speed or power that i got when it was working last weekend though. was that last weekend? i think so

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations, Captain. Now we can work on getting it running better.

One question. When you replaced the spark plug did you need to remove the top cap exposing the threads, or did you replace the spark plug boot with an automotive type that requires the cap be in place?

Tom

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
i had to take the cap off to show the threads. also i was practically out of gas so i put three cups of gas in with an ounce of oil to get that 24:1 ratio and im gunna see if its gunna have some more kick now

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First, you should not mix your fuel and oil in the bike's tank. Mix it in a separate container and shake it well before filling your tank. If you put oil in, even with gasoline in the tank the oil will not mix well and will fill you carburetor and the engine can't run on oil alone. Always mix the fuel before putting it in your bike tank.

I suspect your spark plug boot is a big part of your problem. When you changed to the new plug you got a good electrical connection but because of the poor design of the kit plug boot it is easy for the wire to disconnect inside it or not make a good connection.

Engine vibration alone is enough to break the contact between your plug wire and the spark plug. This is why I highly suggested that you replace the kit boot. In an earlier post I told you that automotive plug boots will require the top cap be installed. The metal piece, contact in the boot will need to be connected properly to your wire. Some have a sharp pointed protrusion that will pierce the insulation and go into the wire when it is crimped on. I'm a little anal about that and I solder that connection before putting the rubber boot portion on the metal contact.

Get rid of that kit spark plkug boot. I feel it is causing you most of your problems.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't do anything with your new wire except put the rubber boot back on. It was crimped on by the factory that made it and is probably a good electrical connection. I wasn't aware that you had a new wire with a new boot. That boot requires that the top cap be on the spark plug. If you removed it exposing the threads, put the cap back on and make sure it's tight.

The wire screws into the socket of the CDI. There is a small metal part that looks like a wood screw poking out from the bottom of the socket. It must screw into the center core of the spark plug wire.

Tom

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
the wire in the automative cable is not really made of wire. it looks like a kind of fluffy white stuff that the wood screw in the cdi doesnt want to hold onto. is there a way i can improve the connection and stability?

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
The wire he has looks like a late model GM electronic ignition wire and it will have a black silicone core. Not sure how it would work and even how well the screw would hold it.

It isn't a solid copper core wire like he would want for this application.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
while I was typing my response you already confirmed what I was try to say. For right now just cut a 1/4" off each end of your old spark plug wire. NAPA sell solid copper or solid steel plug wire by the foot. You can get some later. Don't waste time going to the discount auto parts store because the guy at the counter will just look at you and have no idea what you are talking about. Trust me!

For now after you have cut the ends of the wire re-thread them onto the cdi and the spark wire end cap. dry the plug off and give it a try with out choking the motor at all.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
NAPA can also fix you up with a new plug wire end to match what have for the wire and the spark plug.

There are different diameter of plug wire so take the original one with you so the can get you the same size as what you have.

Do the same when shopping for a new spark plug wire end cap. Take the plug with you. I would get end cap that requires you to use the spark plug cap screwed on top of the spark plug.