wheel wont spin

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have instructions with your meter, famliarize yourself with how to use it then refer to these readings. These are approximate but if you're in the ball park your ignition components should be good.

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms

Magneto Coil

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms.

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity)
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms

Switch to high Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms

Tom

Last edited:

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Put one test lead on the Blue wire and the other test lead on the Black wire.

Ohms of resistance for magneto when reading the blue and black wire should be 310-380 ohms. I checked 3 good coils I have on hand and they all read around 317 ohms of resistance.

If the magneto coil has a dead short the ohm meter show zero resistance when you have your test leads on the blue and black wires. That reading would be the same as when you touch both test leads of the ohm meter to each other. This would be evidence the magneto coil is bad.

An open reading / infinite resistance would be the same as the test leads not touching anything. This would be evidence the coil is bad and has a broken wire or the blue or black wire has come off the coil entirely.

I hope this helps. If you need more clarification let me know.

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
magneto
the meter says 400 between the black and white wires but only when i have the range cranked up to 2000k. so i guess that translates to 400k? set any lower and it goes off the chart
it says 490 between the blue and white wires when its set to 2000
cdi
+ on blue - on black = off the chart
+ on black - on blue = off the chart
+ on spark plug wire - on blue = off the chart
not quite sure what you meant by measuring between the spark plug wire and black lead. i thought the lead was what i was probing the wires with?

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Humor me.

Leave ohm meter on 2k/2000 and read the ohms checking the black and blue wires from the coil.

For this test it doesn't matter which lead goes on which wire.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
Okay. I wish I was there. Fact is I don't think you have the meter setup right or you are using it wrong. Can you post a close up picture of your meter?

Correction:

Let me ask you this. Is your ohm meter a digital meter? When you say 4 on 200, do you mean .4? That is possible. It should read .000 on 2k. Would you like to recheck your meter.

Last edited:

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
My opinion is that the meter is incorrect. When you put those leads together in the 2000 range it should read 0.000 if it read anything else the meter is bad.

There is no way that if you have a good connection between the leads in the 200 range you should be getting a 20.6 reading. closer to 0.8 - 0.2 is possible.

From what I can tell you do have the leads plugged in correctly into the meter.

BTW good job young man.

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
maybe i lost a little connection right as i was clicking to take the picture. when i was looking at it before i took the pic it was reading about 2. then i had look down to aim cause i had to click with my elbow. i think as i clicked i let the cables slip a bit and i glanced back up at the screen.
as for the good job? ive made a horrible mess of this project and i have no idea what im doing. but thanks anyway

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
That is the problem. Take the meter back and spend at least $10 this time. You can wait for a second opinion if you want. Hit it another lick tomorrow.