wheel wont spin

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
well it looks like theres plenty of connetion on the wires, the head bolts were able to get a little tighter, but that didnt solve the problem. i tried starting with the choke in all diferent sorts of positions so it wasnt that either. fuel flow was good as well. there was some leakage from the carb and the muffler... could that have something to do with it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My guess is that the float valve is stuck open. It only takes a very small piece of junk to block the needle from closing and then you have what you're seeing; fuel leaking and hard to or won't start.

Are you using a fuel filter between the tank and the carburetor? If the carburetor isn't close to level that will also cause the same problems because the float isn't pressing up on the needle correctly.

You might try removing the spark plug and pedaling the bike a little to dry things out then put the plug back in and try starting it again. If it ran once, it'll run again. Just need to clear out the bugs. Keep at it and good luck.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am using a filter and the carb looks pretty level to me but i'll give it a shot. if there is some junk blocking the needle how would i fix that?
You could try just blowing through the fuel line into the carb. Compressed air is better than your mouth. But, if whatever is there comes loose you'll be good to go.

Removing the float bowl and cleaning everything from the bottom is another way if blowing doesn't work. The advantage to this method is you might see whatever is blocking the needle valve and remove it completely from the carburetor. Usually it will be a very small piece, usually black.

Just went back and looked at your pictures. Did you remount the carburetor? If not then the way it is in your photos is why it is giving you problems. It won't work at that angle. It needs to be level or close to it.

Tom

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Tom beat me to it. I was just gonna say it's prolly flooded. A stuck open float will flood it pretty good. And fuel will constantly drip from the carb. There's a couple ways to clear crap from the needle seat. the RIGHT way is to remove the carb, take off the bowl and take apart the float assembly. make sure the needle is clean then blow out the seat hole. Theres a way to cheat but I'll wait to share when yer a little more experienced. Cause you could screw up the needle AND the seat if yer not carefull enough when ya cheat.
fatdaddy.

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
so i was taking the carb of and when i went to pull it off the manifold, the rubber tube i used for the manifold came off with it. guess my homemade one wasnt quite up to snuff. is it safe to say a manifold that got vibrate of place and was merely resting there would cause the bike not to run?
scratg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Check yer spark. Its not unheard of for a coil to go bad even on a brand new engine. I hope its not that, but at least coils are cheap enough. $10 or $12 is all. If it is a weak coil, you should be able to run it downhill and get it started. if you can get it to about 25mph and pop the clutch to just see what happens. if it runs but wont run well or idle it might be the coil going bad. when one of my engines just quits,After checking fuel. first thing I think is COIL.
fatdaddy.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Too many things to list here. Start with the basics.
Check for spark by pulling the plug and holding the threads against the engine while you pedal it (I hang mine from a tree by the seat to allow me to pedal it)with the clutch lever OUT. If you see spark, you have a fuel or air problem.
If no spark, most likely a bad coil. From what you describe, I'm guessing you have trash in the float needle and it's simply flooded with too much fuel.
If you clean the bowl and needle, the fuel leaks should stop and it should fire up again.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're confident that the wiring connections are good, both the primary, blue and black wires and the secondary, spark plug wire, is connected properly then there is a chance you have either a defective CDI or the magneto coil is hinky. )'Hinky' a highly technical term meaning, 'bad') :)

Do you have access to a good OHM meter? We can provide you with resistance readings that will tell you which one is giving you problems.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Ya dont need to spend ANY money for a plug wire and boot, I'm sure you know SOMEONE with a junk car in their backyard or driveway, Just pull a plug wire from it, cut to size, screw it into the CDI and yer good to go. Try to grab the best looking one off the junker. Even a used auto wire and boot is better than that Chinese crap. I dont recomend pulling one off Moms car. Ya NEVER wanna make Mom mad.
fatdaddy.usflg
99 times out of 100 if yer getting no spark IT'S THE COIL.BUT it could also just be a bad plug wire and boot. I'd try that first.And just in case ya dont know,the wire will unscrew out of the CDI box. another wire will screw right in. easy-peasy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magneto-Coi...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27f7a1c402&vxp=mtr

Last edited: