What stops you from using dirt-bike engines?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Cavi Mike, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike New Member

With the amount of work I see you guys put into squeezing some of the most ridiculous engines in your frames including building frames from scratch, what stops you from just getting something like this?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2913384921.html

It's far more attractive than any HF engine out there and it's complete with gears, no need for shifter kits.

*please note that is not my engine, I don't know that person, I just came across it while looking for bike stuffs.

2. The_Aleman

The_Aleman New Member

Legality, probably. A 69lb 200CC engine with transmission combo? Almost 16" wide? That's for a little motorcycle.

Not too many use shifter kits on the HF engines. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one.

3. Ibedayank

Ibedayank New Member

Motorized bicycle/ motor assisted bicycle=having PEDALS
    no pedals its a motorcycle

4. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike New Member

That is not my argument at all. I didn't say use a dirt-bike frame, I just said use a dirt-bike engine. As far as size? Is that even an issue? Look at this thing, it's HUGE. I'm trying to figure out why this is a better idea.

[​IMG]

5. The_Aleman

The_Aleman New Member

I don't think it's a better idea at all. Putting an engine that large on a bicycle is a bad idea, if you ask me.

Might as well get a motorcycle. Stronger, more powerful, legal. But greed rules in this day and age.

6. biknut

biknut Active Member

Like Aleman said legality. In Texas that bike would be considered a motorcycle, even with peddles.

OTOH if you're planning to make a motorcycle that motor would be alright I guess.

7. Ibedayank

Ibedayank New Member

Big motor.... better have even bigger brakes

right now I have a ktm 250cc and a honda 125cc dirt bike motors and I will not use either of them in a bicycle frame as the frames will NOT hold up under that amount of power. People break bicycle frames with Just a 48cc 2stroke Ht. What do you think a 250cc 2stroke would do to the same frame?

8. rustycase

rustycase Gutter Rider

Not much... distance?
    and I already got one.
    (It's under the kitchen table.)

really

Got a honda vfr out there, and the harley is really took apart...

I just like bicycles.
    They are an excellent means of transport, and the motor assist helps a lot!

Very inexpensive, a complete package universal application design... Gosh, what's NOT to like!

As far as using 'unusual' engines, Gosh!!!! What a challenge!
    To resurrect something that was otherwise headed for the foundry, and create some bit of entertaining transportation with it... Wonderful!

Welcome aboard Motorbicycling.com !
    We do a LOT of fun stuff here.

Best
    rc

a PROUD member of the 20mph Club!