What is the "proper" method of starting up?

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I am still under 100 miles on my bike and I find it can take me a couple of blocks to get it started. I am wondering if I should try repeatedly popping the clutch to get it to fire or should I just release the clutch and pedal against the engine until it starts? Is there a "correct" way to do this? Thanks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Turn on fuel.
Put choke 3/4 up.
Push prime or "tickler" for a couple seconds.
Pedal up to ten mph or so and pop the clutch.
I always use wide open throttle, your results may vary.

jerseykat1

i will try that. i have always pushed the primer about 7 times (thinking of how my weed wacker works) close the choke completely and left the back wheel and crank start it with the pedals usually takes me about 3-4 cranks to get it going. i will see what results i get by hold the primer down for 5 secs. i need to get this mastered as i have my shifter kit coming so popping the clutch while moving will be out of the question. maybe i should get a pull start kit.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I've been practicing also. I'm too old to pedal too far. I rigged up a choke lever at the throttle. Pedal about 20 or so feet and it starts to sputter to life with the choke on. If I use the primer it seems to flood and get harder to start.
I have a shift kit to do also.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I've been practicing also. I'm too old to pedal too far. I rigged up a choke lever at the throttle. Pedal about 20 or so feet and it starts to sputter to life with the choke on. If I use the primer it seems to flood and get harder to start.
I have a shift kit to do also.
I hear you! Im too old to pedal half a block to get started then try to find that choke before it dies. I built this bike so I don't have to pedal! I am going to rig a choke cable on my bike also.

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california
maybe try les choke. its 40 deg. here in the mornings and i can get mine started in 4 or 5 pedels. i dont use the choke or the primer/tickler. just about half throttle and she comes to life

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
this is the one and only thing that has worked right from the start on my motor. I can roll down my driveway and pop the clutch right after I enter the street and my motor fires right up almost every time, no choke needed at all.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My engine starts with out priming on a dime with full chocke it has a personallity till warmed up look closer somthing amiss got to thing about it