What cruiser is best for the predator 212?

GoldenMotor.com

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I've been searching for an affordable cruiser bike that will fit a predator. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm looking for something affordable, preferably under $200 and maybe $300. That is a low price, but I'm good at finding deals.

Last edited:

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Felt slant, dyno frames, vintage Chicago Schwinn, vintage Taiwan Schwinn, any steel hd frame. Electra steel frames probably too. Go to your local bike shop and sit on some of the $300 bigger cruisers and you'll understand. The first link up there is aluminum, no good. I've built one on a Schwinn and have a line on another Chicago Schwinn I'm thinking what to do with.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I'm thinking Micargi Fatal Love. It's a steel frame.
I've seen someone put a predator on a Royal, and MAYBE a fatal love. There was a YouTube video of this guy showing his bike with a 212 and I'm pretty sure it's the fatal love.

This mount
http://www.gasbike.net/collections/...ucts/4-stroke-mount-plate-for-49cc-79cc-212cc

Still removing the governor on my engine, already took out the low oil sensor. I lost a push-rod. I'll have to order a new one...

I'm thinking flexi tube will be perfect for the exhaust.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Here is a pic I found from a thread on KC's cruisers site.
IMG_3576.JPG
So my engine will certainly fit without the stock tank, air cleaner or exhaust. I may need a vertical mount, however. We'll see

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I'm scared of the coaster brake? Should I get a bike without one or is it easy to disable? I will be adding a front wheel disc brake and maybe a rim brake or jackshaft disc brake for the back.

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
I built mine on a huffy millennial. Its a ton of work and a very tight fit but do able. If i did it again it would be on a felt slant. lookup scotto's 212 in the search. Its got a ton of room for it. I recommmend their cnc aluminum mount thats fitted for the predator engines. That ones kinda cheesy. Ive used it on the 79. Good luck! Good brakes are a must and heavy duty wheels too. Mine pulls wheelies trying to baby it up to speed

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here is a pic I found from a thread on KC's cruisers site.
View attachment 84340
So my engine will certainly fit without the stock tank, air cleaner or exhaust. I may need a vertical mount, however. We'll see
Welcome to the forums Ultra.

Yes I fit a fit a 79cc Pred in a 29" Fatal Love and it worked well, and actually had 3 brakes, the coaster and 2 C-brakes.

I don't think you know just how expensive and foolish your thoughts of making a 212cc Pred for cheap is going to be.

For starters that $100 engine has no transfer case so figure ~$300 extra just for that, and you want to skimp on the actual bike you plan to put it on?

It's OK Ultra, we are used to kids thinking they can make a motorcycle for cheap with a bicycle but but bud, you can't.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Welcome to the forums Ultra.

Yes I fit a fit a 79cc Pred in a 29" Fatal Love and it worked well, and actually had 3 brakes, the coaster and 2 C-brakes.

I don't think you know just how expensive and foolish your thoughts of making a 212cc Pred for cheap is going to be.

For starters that $100 engine has no transfer case so figure ~$300 extra just for that, and you want to skimp on the actual bike you plan to put it on?

It's OK Ultra, we are used to kids thinking they can make a motorcycle for cheap with a bicycle but but bud, you can't.
Excuse my bluntness, but you don't know how much experience I have, what my entire budget is, or my history with projects.

I'm still deciding how much I'm going to spend. If it takes $1000+, I'll do it, it'll just take longer to gather the funds.

I'm hoping a I make a decent name on this forum, seems like every one I've been on expects you to be just another kid who wants to go fast. Until you prove yourself. Trust me, I've talked to a lot of these "kids" myself who want a 80mph shifter kart with a $300 budget. Often they just need some hard facts to knock some sense into them. Which is obviously what you just did and I respect that.

Also, I'm using a jackshaft for gear reduction and thanks to Necromancer I have most of the parts. So that $300 is really more about $80 for the chain and clutch. Maybe a little more for the sprocket.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
For automobiles may be different than motorized bikes, but really don't know. OHV sticker which I got for my pedal-less motorbike for trail riding should be good for other states though?

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
The Schwinn Blackwell does look like a good bike. The question is it big enoguh for a 212, and what is the fork tube size. I can't find any measurements for the head tube and I need it to be 1 1/8" for a suspension fork with a caliper mount.

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
The Schwinn Blackwell does look like a good bike. The question is it big enoguh for a 212, and what is the fork tube size. I can't find any measurements for the head tube and I need it to be 1 1/8" for a suspension fork with a caliper mount.
I think all cheap department store bikes are 1 inch threaded. Mine was. I converted it to 1 1/8 though. A bit of die grinding, some bench grinding and a few slits in the new headset and pressed it into the head tube and i was good to go. Got a nice suntour disc fork on amazon for cheap too

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Ok, whatever, I can drill and tap it if I need too. But I have never done that with a head tube, It'll be a learning experience.

That's the bike.
I've been looking at the suntour forks, they seem to be of a good quality for the price.

That plus a disc brake adapter, rotor, and caliper, and some kind of brake to go on the jackshaft.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I agree with a steel frame Felt bike being a great choice to handle a 212. (^)
I'll build one with a felt when I have a big enough budget to build a bike as good as scotto's. This one will be more of an imitation with some cheaper parts.

Still feeling like an illegal renegade, the laws here being <35cc and l.t. 20mph for an "motor assisted vehicle".

Really, there are only laws for electric bikes, and none for motorized bikes specifically in oregon.

I'll probably just drive it on the quiet roads... I live in a small town with a 6000 person population though. There are four police cars total, and they all stay in the lower section of Hood River.

I should put a license plate on to confuse people :p
Since generators can be a little difficult and sketchy on these engines as far as I know, I'll probably use a 12volt battery for lights and recharge it as necessary. Or run a small generator connected to the jackshaft.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Excuse my bluntness, but you don't know how much experience I have, what my entire budget is, or my history with projects.
No slam Ultra, just my usual 'talk' to the kids that think they can just drop a 212cc on a bike as easy as changing a flat tire ;-}