Vintage Motor Look

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Pre-unit Triumphs are expensive in the US. A road ready T110 will bring $8500 USD.

Boardtrack bikes did not have transmissions. Integrated transmissions were not common on pre-war motorcycles either.

This is the right look for a drop loop Boardtracker:

This engine is the stuff of my dreams! Way too many cc's for me, and I would probably never have that much spare cash, but I am still super excited that this thing is being produced. Thank you very much Brad for building this beautiful engine.

Gilbert

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A great option for a larger engine look on a BTR build is a Harbor Freight Predator engine!!
Here's a Sportsman Flyer 99cc BTR & a Ruff Cycles 212cc that I built a few years ago...

image-3147843513.jpg
image-3440794769.jpg

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Pre-unit Triumphs are expensive in the US. A road ready T110 will bring $8500 USD.

Boardtrack bikes did not have transmissions. Integrated transmissions were not common on pre-war motorcycles either.

This is the right look for a drop loop Boardtracker:

HO LEE SHEEP $HYT !! Time to build me a motorcycle.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH (The sou d of all projects coming to a halt)
Rick,
Is it my understanding that you are involved in the manufacture of this motor, and will it be available for sale to consumers. If this is correct, what's it going to cost me to purchase one?

Rick:

They are in process. Made a couple of tweaks to the match plates, got these in from the foundry last week:

Are you looking for a complete engine or a case set?

Last edited:

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Rick,
Is it my understanding that you are involved in the manufacture of this motor, and will it be available for sale to consumers. If this is correct, what's it going to cost me to purchase one?

If this was directed at me, I am not involved in any way. I do love where this is going though, as I really like the vintage look.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Rick,

Forwarding Chain's post to FFV8 :)

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Gilbert:

Thanks for the kind words. You really need 450cc's

Chainmaker:

I am making these engines. i am working on other versions too.

Ludwig:
The design is my own. I incorporated parts from existing designs to reduce costs - that cylinder is a reproduction Harley WLA part. The sprocket shaft bearings are 81-85 Sportster. I am working on other parts at this time. 3.250 cylinders & exposed OHV parts for instance.

With the right combination of parts that case will support 5" strokes & 3.625 bores. I designed the case for true Keystone mounting - it can be a stressed frame member.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
So the design is intended to be understressed in any reasonable use; is it a dry sump engine or total loss?

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Gilbert:

Thanks for the kind words. You really need 450cc's

Chainmaker:

I am making these engines. i am working on other versions too.

Ludwig:
The design is my own. I incorporated parts from existing designs to reduce costs - that cylinder is a reproduction Harley WLA part. The sprocket shaft bearings are 81-85 Sportster. I am working on other parts at this time. 3.250 cylinders & exposed OHV parts for instance.

With the right combination of parts that case will support 5" strokes & 3.625 bores. I designed the case for true Keystone mounting - it can be a stressed frame member.

I thought the jug looked familiar. Rick C.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Reasonable use to me for sure. It should take anything a Top Fuel Sportster will take - it shares many bottom end components - and half as many cylinders.

It is a wet sump with case evacuation.

I rode JD & VL harleys for years. They were very reliable. I always thought that harley went too far with the oiling system in later years. Many of the engine failures they experienced are directly related to the complicated breather scheme coming apart, and the scavenge pumps eating metal bits.

I do offer the RL style oil dump on the sprocket side as an option - that would be a true total loss.

More pics here
http://ffv8.com/vintage-4-stroke.html

B.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Pat:

Many of the build steps are on the web site.

At least one AMCA member is putting one in an original Indian keystone frame.

I can of course make some frames, but I am already busy. Are you stepping up?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pat I hope a couple of those things included on the drawing board is an Indian racing girder fork the other an Indian leaf spring fork. You have the Indian "Marion" frame and so the Harley "Keystone" look & function is there as well. Of course your loop frame works for either without the "Keystone" for a classic road bike or pre Keystone racing look. Lot of options for both Harley and Indian fans...I'm both!

FFV8 your web site is very revealing. Congrats on the vision and execution of your project. I've spent 5 decades operating machine shops & know what you've had to put into this project, to this point. Not easy. Looks like it's time for you to make some money for your efforts!

Rick C.

mojodaddy

Jun 3, 2013
South Carolina
I really like the looks of the motor FFV8 is developing. Realistically though I will most likely have to do a build of a somewhat lower cost range. I guess what I really was seeking was ways to get the old motor look cosmetically older, maybe with an aftermarket cylinder head that would have extra cooling fins above where the need for them would be to give the tall look of the old single jug motors. Of course that would put the spark plug halfway down the jug which would ruin the look of it I guess.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Stepping up? Standing here waiting, man. You should see what's hiding in my saved drawings in my CAD programs. Talk to me.
Pat
This motor is screaming for a home in one of your frames, Do you have any frame designs that would allow a 2nd rider.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I really like the looks of the motor FFV8 is developing. Realistically though I will most likely have to do a build of a somewhat lower cost range. I guess what I really was seeking was ways to get the old motor look cosmetically older, maybe with an aftermarket cylinder head that would have extra cooling fins above where the need for them would be to give the tall look of the old single jug motors. Of course that would put the spark plug halfway down the jug which would ruin the look of it I guess.
Glad to see your still looking for an answer to your original question. I was afraid you gave up on us. Sorry we hi jacked your thread. We just got caught up in that beautiful vintage engine and lost sight of your problem.
I've seen 3 really nice examples that basically did what you described. 2 of these were 2 cycle China girl kit engines that stacked a head & scrap jug on top of a stock kit motor. Left the plug in the fake head & drilled a hole to run the plug wire to the active spark plug. The fake jug had holes drilled between the fins to aid cooling (no way to know if it was sufficient) Carb was tricked up with a blocked manifold runner to the top (fake) intake port while feeding the active intake port. Exhaust was handled much the same.

The fake jug & head were attached but I'd just be guessing as to how but the photos weren't accompanied with an explanation. The finished look was pure vintage & really would fool a lot of observers. With a bit more work on the engine side plates it would have faked me out as well. Don't remember where I saw the photos but don't think it was on this forum. Members help me out here.
V-twin on the Simplex site still has me faked out! He added a fake jug on a ground up custom Harley springer mini bike. Excellent fab skills on the whole little bike. Rick S. got a shot of that? Rick C.