Tube frame Ebike build

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Tony when I start I’ll PM you, I don’t want to ask stupid questions and let everyone know how far behind I am.
(ask stupid questions and let everyone know how far behind I am.) LOL You and me both. I seemed to happen over night, and then being 82 I am lost on most of it. Thank God I raised 4 sons that can carry on and help me now. Each one has a specialty, sorta. I keep saying I don't want any part of electric bikes, but now find myself looking at them, one is going to the "Back to the Fifties" here is St Paul it would be to much walking for me now. And by the time I drive down. early am, they usually all rented.
My first car was a 1930 town sedan Model A, that was easy self taught, sure wouldn't be that way today. sorry for the rant, seems I am not happy with getting old, but also that God everyday that I have outlived a lot of friends and classmates.............Curt

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
(ask stupid questions and let everyone know how far behind I am.) LOL You and me both. I seemed to happen over night, and then being 82 I am lost on most of it. Thank God I raised 4 sons that can carry on and help me now. Each one has a specialty, sorta. I keep saying I don't want any part of electric bikes, but now find myself looking at them, one is going to the "Back to the Fifties" here is St Paul it would be to much walking for me now. And by the time I drive down. early am, they usually all rented.
My first car was a 1930 town sedan Model A, that was easy self taught, sure wouldn't be that way today. sorry for the rant, seems I am not happy with getting old, but also that God everyday that I have outlived a lot of friends and classmates.............Curt
I plan to put another storage building out back as soon as I get a slab poured for it. Then I can store my bike in the building. Right now I have to put a 2×12 board down to push my 100 lbs bike in/out of my house and over a 2' retaining wall. As I'm getting older it's getting harder and harder to do. We do what we have to in order to keep doing what we love.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I plan to put another storage building out back as soon as I get a slab poured for it. Then I can store my bike in the building. Right now I have to put a 2×12 board down to push my 100 lbs bike in/out of my house and over a 2' retaining wall. As I'm getting older it's getting harder and harder to do. We do what we have to in order to keep doing what we love.
This is so true, so glad I did most of it before I retired, heated shop and all, as the funds are a lot less now...........Curt

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
LOL supply and demand if all go electric, gas may go down to a Nickle a gal like it was when I was a kid. .......Curt
I personally think they've found large amounts of lithium on Mars. They also want to put a launch station on the moon. It's just strange for the push for electric when most current engines could be converted to run on hydrogen. Are the environmentalist saying the extra water vapor is dangerous to the environment as well???

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I personally think they've found large amounts of lithium on Mars. They also want to put a launch station on the moon. It's just strange for the push for electric when most current engines could be converted to run on hydrogen. Are the environmentalist saying the extra water vapor is dangerous to the environment as well???
They can dump jet fuel in the air though. Trump want to start hydrogen ............Curt

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Tony is everything you own electric! Do you have an electric car as well? If so please share your findings on the car.
Yep, I just own my bike now. Sold my car as it needed too much repair. But my mechanic might have another of the same car in the v8 version and way better condition than mine was. Higher miles but pretty close to perfect. I don’t like the electrics that much anymore after going down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Well I broke my brake cable a while ago, fixed it with a disposable mold. The cable pulled out after a month. Thinking I didn’t fray it well enough. Made a 2pc mold, didn’t have enough lead however. Worked out though

Next up, the all-thread pivot (.480”) has a lot of slop in the .500 mount. I got a free grade 5 bolt but I have to press the bearings in for real to make it work. And enlarge my pivot mount set screws to at least 1/4-20 as I think one of them stripped out. Gettin pissed off again.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I like the mold you made Tony, but lead, even wheel weights alloyed with antimony is not hard enough as you have discovered.
You being in Cali. likely have Zinc wheel weight sources. Cable ends are cast zinc.
Preheating your mold will prevent the casting from having "knit" flaws. Looks like you have that figured out.
This vid is kind of windy but once the casting begins is not B.S.
Finding Zinc at home - Zinc for casting - Pouring Zinc metal bars and shot - YouTube.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy