Tools; cordless vs corded

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
When I was outfitting my shop I got some great advice here. Including; If you are near an electrical outlet, use/buy corded tools. Obviously large tools like mills and lathes still require outlets. But with advances in battery tech. I am more and more tempted to start considering investing in cordless.

Could have relief batteries charging via solar panels. Aside from free power, I like the idea of not burning fossil fuels. The eventual disposal of batteries, environmentally, still sucks but what in life is not a never ending set of pros and cons?

For small shops like mine, seems like a viable option.

This article got me wondering about this subject again;

http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom.../?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=042517

.flg.

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
I love my cordless tools. I'll grab a cordless tool before a corded one every time. The new lithium batteries are great too. They last longer than the old style and seem to run a full power until dead. Only down side is the batteries are very expensive to replace, but have had much better luck with the lithium batteries, they don't develope a memory and can set for long periods of time without going bad. Still, I can't afford to replace all my corded tools with cordless. I ran power out to my shed and wired up lots of wall plugs and have an assortment of tools that stay out there all the time. I also have a generator out in the shed that I can plug in if the power goes out. Got to be able to keep on working on the motor bikes. Who cares about the house?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I love corded tools. My buddy hates corded drills, but every time I go to his house all his batteries are dead, and if they're not then the tool dies after drilling one hole. My stuff never dies! I smoked the motor on a 20yr old makita drill and replaced it with a hand chuck one about 4 years ago. Not bad for $4 a year.

Reactions: butchl
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I like them both. I use corded whenever possible because batteries have a limited number of charges before they have to be replaced, but sometimes it's just not practical or convenient to use a cord. I have both corded and cordless of most of my small power tools.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
With corded tools, you'll be less likely to be asked by friends to come over and help with a project. I'm assuming....... lol

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Besides a cordless drill, which I use for small stuff like drilling holes in sheet metal or hanging pictures, everything I have is corded.

But, those are heavy duty tools. Portable band saw, drill press, etc.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Lithium battery's aren't just taking over motor bicycles,

I recently replaced my old battery powered drill with one of these new Dewalt Lithium powered drills. This 20v drill has tons of power, and the battery lasts forever in comparison to the older type.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-...ess-Drill-with-Battery-and-Soft-Case/50040962
Have you tried the new brushless motors yet? I have tested the dewalt brushless impact driver against the one that still uses a brushed motor, and with a 5ah battery, the brushless one lasted through 2 3/4 charges of the brushed one before the battery died. I could literally use it all day without changing batteries. Talk about lasting forever.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Have you tried the new brushless motors yet? I have tested the dewalt brushless impact driver against the one that still uses a brushed motor, and with a 5ah battery, the brushless one lasted through 2 3/4 charges of the brushed one before the battery died. I could literally use it all day without changing batteries. Talk about lasting forever.

Mine is a DCD 985 which isn't brushless, but it works great. I'm sure the brushless ones are even better.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Besides a cordless drill, which I use for small stuff like drilling holes in sheet metal or hanging pictures, everything I have is corded.

But, those are heavy duty tools. Portable band saw, drill press, etc.
Same here, cordless drill and screwdriver for quick/cumbersome work, but everything else is AC, so much I had a separate 15A AC breaker and line run for my shop/office AC.

It's enough for me to run power hungry tools AND my built in wall air conditioner at the same time.
Long story behind that and a fire, but man it's sweet in the summer, and of course it's remote controlled ;-}

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
As a electrician my job would be so hard without cordless tools. 99% of my day is reaching for a cordless tool whether a drill or saw.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Didn't think of that Dave. When I was a kid and doing step-n-fetchit work for contractors, you'd walk on the job site and could not take a step with out stepping on an extension cord. Always in the way too. Then at the end of the day, it was some schmuck's job to roll em all up. (hehe, guess who's?) (("whom's"?))

Plus the time it took finding a source or breaking out generators. Which cost money, gas and really annoying to be around all day.

When they first came out, nothing like today's, even underpowered they were a huge time and effort saver.

I really can't wait to see the batts they come up with in the next few years. Really wanna invest in this lawnmower. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-38-in-Battery-Electric-Riding-Lawn-Mower-RY48110/300246266

But know just as soon as I do, some new marvel will come about. LoL, It's the law! Murphy's but hey.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is actually one of my favorite cordless tools. This is even more handy than a drill motor to me. When working in a dark place like an attic I used to have to drag a cord up there for a trouble light. Not any more. This 50w lithium LED spot light is like the sun. Turn it on anywhere in the attic, and the whole attic lights up like daylight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017CZO0W4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Haven't seen that befor, thanks looks good.

This is actually one of my favorite cordless tools. This is even more handy than a drill motor to me. When working in a dark place like an attic I used to have to drag a cord up there for a trouble light. Not any more. This 50w lithium LED spot light is like the sun. Turn it on anywhere in the attic, and the whole attic lights up like daylight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017CZO0W4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Weird side note. I'm sitting in my local vape lounge. (Yep, there are such places) But my buddy the manager has his Ryobi cordless drill out. Instead of the clip to hold spare bits, it has a magnetic pad below the trigger and above the batt. Dumb little thing but man that makes sense. So much easier.

I love the umph of airtools but find the hoses to be a PITB. The compressor lighting off, and I look like a cartoon cat hanging upside down from the ceiling by my claws, LoL.

But ya can't beat one for raw power.