Time to inspect.

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Just a reminder… I don't know how the Tarrifs on China will effect our parts prices, now is a good time to order them pieces that we should have on hand anyway. Common spare parts include spare CDI, Spare Coil, Possibly a new Top end ready to go. When was it that you placed a small blob of grease on that bevel gear?
Also; the most overlooked - Motor drive and Rear Wheel Sprocket.
Unlike electrical parts, the driveline parts can be watched and inspected for wear. problems can be avoided. Here are some pics of parts I have replaced for others this season. Anyone that can contribute maintenance tips/pics are welcome.
New and Worn.jpg
progressive wear.jpg
completely worn.jpg
rear compare .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Bloodmaker

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
I'm a motor assisted junkie. i buy parts i don't need ( at the time, lol) and try to plan ahead for a few builds and break downs. i have two filing cabinets with parts and pieces. i have a whole wall of blown, partially assembled, and almost assembled engines. the only stuff extra i don't have, jackshaft parts. i just got into jackshafting. give me time, lol. i can't believe the fuel mileage i can get with a jackshaft!! my gas tank looks like my 15th beer for the night, lowering by sips on my journey. all i need is more jackshaft stuff and i'm good for the next 5 years if china decides to stop selling. lol

Reactions: allen standley

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
Wow! Jimmy your awesome!
i gotta have my fix. lol. never knew about these forums till last year i think i joined. learned a lot here about two strokes. mmmm tht castor smell. when people see my green bean ( my fav bike), that's when they ask me to build for them. i turn most down because i don't have the time. i'd love to make it a job, but there are so many good companies out there now. well that and when i tell them how much i want, a lot of people are turned off. mind you green bean is a 6 speed decked out custom built mini dirt bike like build. i wanna get a club started out here too, so i gotta get people interested. i wanna have some omaha death races, lol.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Allen I’ll bet the sprocket failures were the result of chain stretch with the low grade stock chain, some kit chains stretch bad.
Very well could be Greg. Me- I use the 41 mach. chain. Only bikes to get a kit chain are the ones built to sell. Like a ghost, as you can see above, they are haunting me

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
another reason a sprocket could go like that is bad bearings. like say the bearing under the right side went bad, it would cause it to rock and lean pulling on the sprocket and " sawing" the teeth away. if i showed you guys a wheel i just pulled off one of my death machines, you'd be surprised i didn't get hurt. lol. i was. maybe an 1/8th an inch at best of the axle was keeping it from collapsing in on its self. maybe 1/32 of an inch left on the bearing cone retainer lock nut. only a grey paste where the bearings were. it was tight, i checked them ever ride, but never knew tht bearing was gone.