Thumb Throttle

GoldenMotor.com

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I would think you would be able to use your existing cable. Even if the thumb throttle end is smaller (like a derailler shifter) end is, I would think you would be able to grind or file your cable end smaller, the ends are fairly soft.

FWIW I have read posts that some rack mount kits use these and tend to cramp your hand. I dont know myself.

Last edited:

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
i like the thumb throttle because:

1 you can use color maching grips,
2 lesser chance of brakeing the houseing
and
3 i hate when i go over bumps and the bike take off because of my arm shifting.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I use an old mountain bike thumb shifter for a throttle. I can adjust the friction to adjust the idle or use as it as a cheapo cruise control.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
thats a good idea, whitch one did you use, the one for like 5 or more(rear derailer), or just 2-3(crank or pedal derailer)?

how does it react when you hit a pothole? or and ahole

lol

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I used a Suntour XC 7 speed thumb shifter from the right side.
They used to sell cheap thumb shifters that are suitable at discount stores but probably not anymore. You may have to find one on Craigslist or buy a cheap old MTB at a yard sale (even from a kid's bike).

Russntustin

Nov 18, 2008
Southern California
Thumb/Brake lever Throttles

Been searching....Looking for anyone who has and likes thumb or brake lever throttles.
I'm looking at the 'Sinz' BMX style brake lever. (two finger/spring loaded)
Thumb levers look good too.
Thanks!
Russ

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Re: Thumb/Brake lever Throttles

Thumb throttle works better for me. I use an older MTB thumb shifter that has a thumb screw to allows me to adjust the friction. Adjustable friction allows fine idle adjustment and serves as a cheapo cruise control.
My arm was never comfortable with a twist throttle.
I lived in Tustin in the late eighties. I worked in those huge hangars at the old airfield.
LOL

Last edited:

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008

Has anyone found a inexpensive thumb throttle from an ATV or something that we could use on a MB???

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

When I got my Sears Free Spirit motor it wasn't complete. One of the things which were missing was the throttle/kill swithc. I've since fabricated everything else and set it up after going all thru the engine checking the point gap, lubing the cam etc to have it right before mounting it and completing the install.

There's an old bicycle repair shop & novelty shop down the river from me where they have new loose parts in bins for cheap. I purchased a MTB thumb shifter and adapted it for my throttle. I wasn't wanting to cut the original throttle cable (cause some day I may find one of those original throttle kill switches laying around for this motor) so I took a small modelers hack saw and cut thru one side of the cable channel so I could slip the cable into it instead of having to cut the lug off the cable and thread it thru. I then used a very small dremel stone to cut a relief that matched the lug on the end of the cable into the lever and then cut thru the guide that the cable housing fits into so the cable can pass thru it. It works just fine but if I find a left side mate to it I'll make another one just like it. Why ? Cause I increase the engine speed by moving the lever to the right.......and with the left side gear shift the lever would swing to the left there by letting me mount it so I could position it on the inboard side of the right handel grip and press down to accelerate the engine. On letting up I could have the tension adjusted to where the carb spring would close the carb and pull the lever back up. Thus better ergonomics for the right thumb. Then I could have the kill button positioned at the top of that which would be handy as well.

I've probably put more time and study into this crazy little Tanaka motor than I can count. It's amazing the engineering that went into it and the way it goes together. Ya just gotta get each step right from the start as you are bolting parts over parts you just worked on and once it is asembled it's like a stack of pancakes.....and if there is a problem.....it's likely to be a total tear down. Fortunately Tanaka relied on high quality materal and craftmanship.
After getting this thing in the running I won't be afraid to tackle that Grandfather Clock my neighbor gave me when they moved off. :p

But my engine is a front mounted friction drive unit and is mounted on my reguar riding bike for the time being. If I build the bicycle-pickup truck I'll move it to that and retain my present riding bike just for exercise. The bike
pickup fascinates me and I can see some real applications for it especially with a front mounted friction drive motor or electric motor drive.

Attachments

carpediemi24

Oct 20, 2009
Boulder CO
I have found 2 throttles that seem better than kit ones. One is thumb for Chinese motors:
THUMB THROTTLE ASSEMBLY ATV QUAD 110CC 50CC 150CC 250CC:eBay Motors (item 280416914913 end time Nov-06-09 05:31:21 PST)

Here is what it says:
New universal Thumb Throttle Assembly. This part will fit all Chinese atv's including 50cc, 70cc, 90cc, 110cc, 125cc, 150cc, 200cc & 250cc models. If you own a Chinese atv with one of these engine sizes this part is guaranteed to fit!

2nd one is from scooterpartsforless and is a gocart 1-finger brake lever style:
Go-Kart 1-finger throttle ($19 to your door)

The stock kit one with 2 brakes in one lever and kill switch is too small...may tru to rig but do like the option of better hand grips if go the other routes.

Buck

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm having trouble riding with my right hand cramping up due to carpel tunnel. Will a thumb throttle allow me to ride without pain...even when wearing a wrist brace? Would I be better to switch the throttle over to the left hand where I don't have as many problems?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Pcain

Apr 30, 2012
Melb Australia
I use a cheap ATV thumb throttle. It sure beats the **** out of the cheap plastic twist throttle that I was supplied in my 66cc engine kit.

I bought a cheap one off ebay for $9.50, it was for a 50-150cc atv. It is metal and I was able to use the cable supplied with my twist throttle. It just took some adjusting with that bent tube the cable runs through at the throttle. Easy done though.

I'll never go back to a twist throttle. The other alternative is a goped throttle lever. Super responsive and good quality.