This is why gas bicycles have no future

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Btw, I made a rare sighting of a china girl at large riding in Dallas last week. I could hear him, before I saw him. Burrrrrrrrraaaaapppp

Reactions: Tony01

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
Losing market share would be devastating to china's already teetering on collapse economy. The government was forced to cover the cost of the tariffs for the company's effected. This is the reason china is so eager to make a deal. Like him of not, president Trump has china by the balls, and they know it.
A quick search on Chinese GDP will reveal from probably 50 different sources that the Chinese economy is still growing at 3 times the rate of ours. 6% vs. 1.9% here in the 3rd quarter. Tariff's haven't helped anybody on either side but the idea that the Chinese economy is on the verge of collapse is Trump propaganda that's not based in fact. Google it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZL

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That's the reason we didn't feel it in the wallet, but the news guys spin every thing as a disaster here's a wolf there's a wolf & the sky is about to fall! I'm a Boomer (FOG) if there's not blood on the floor it wasn't a fight so get over the touchy feely stuff already. Life's great so lets live some of it!

Still having fun.

Rick C.

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
One of the many wonderful things about America is we all get to have our own opinions. :) What we or anybody else don't get to have is our own set of facts.

While I'm sure the May 2019 Bloomberg article is accurate, I would point out it mentions the slowing global economy, domestic issues, and the imminent threat of 25% tariffs as being the proximate cause. In the intervening 6 months since the article was published there's been noise about a Phase One agreement in the trade negotiations? And the increase to 25% has been recently suspended because of it. Seems like we're in at least a temporary truce at the moment, but who knows what will happen next. Not me.

In terms of Chinese economic history is has been historical in that they were able to grow at over 10% for decades. That ended after the crash in 2008 and they've been stuck in single digits ever since. Those are the facts. I invite anyone who may doubt that do some research.

While we are all entitled to our own opinions, it's America :), I only deal in facts and the Exaggerator in Chief is not the best place to get them. And that's another fact.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Actually the prices were never effected by the tariffs. China couldn't afford to lose market share because of higher prices from tariffs. All Chinese company's are partially owned by the chinese government. Losing market share would be devastating to china's already teetering on collapse economy. The government was forced to cover the cost of the tariffs for the company's effected. This is the reason china is so eager to make a deal. Like him of not, president Trump has china by the balls, and they know it.
Bout time too! They been bending us and the world over due to weak US leadership over the past 20 years. They have taken over so many industries!! Trump is doing a great job!! 4 more years please!

Not to mention we are finally energy independent again in half a century.

But here in California Gov Newsom and his cronies continue to push policy that hasn’t worked. Since it didn’t work so great in SF and LA they have passed statewide rent control, to see if it won’t solve the problems created by earlier regulation on housing. Luckily Trump has replaced so many appeals court judges and two in the SCOTUS. It’s looking up for us again finally.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZL and biknut

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Btw imo the best thing about electric is I can open it up anytime anywhere without waking anybody up, or attracting law enforcement a mile away. Used to go to great lengths to not wake up my neighbors. I’d push my bike 1/10mi to the end of the street and start it up there. Eventually the neighbors at the end of the street began to complain. Coming back in I’d kill the power and coast all the way in. Around here townhouses start at 1M, full size at about 1.8M, lots of expensive cars. I see Tesla’s opening it up all the time.

Loud noises like those from an open header piss people off. If you just pull up at a bar with open pipes and rev it up slightly or not even, sometimes you get people getting aggressive.

I had some people attack me once when I was coming back from the bar at 2am. They were drinking on the street and heard me coming long before I showed up. I was a lil buzzed myself so unable to exercise better judgement I decided to play with them. I had the cvt on there at the time. I’d loop back and provoke the drunk, he’d start running towards me and just as he was about to tackle me I’d hit the throttle and have him faceplant behind me. I blame the open header!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Btw imo the best thing about electric is I can open it up anytime anywhere without waking anybody up, or attracting law enforcement a mile away.
You're exactly right, on a eBike silence is golden. Before going electric I actually thought quiet was going to be kind of a negative. All my bikes were either loud, or very loud. It was surprising how quickly I adjusted to silence. Like about 2 minutes.

This eBike, if I talk about it's true performance, it triggers the haters faster than mentioning the name of, you know who. But after 6 years of riding on the street, and trail, I've never even once been stopped. As long as I ride in an acceptable manner for the location I'm riding, the silence acts like mind control. On the trail it doesn't sound intimidating, so it must not be. On the street, it fly's fast, and low over the tree tops. You get no advance warning it's coming, and by the time you notice it's already gone.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yeap performance and quiet. Flying under the radar, literally. I can not care less what the power plant is. If there was a gasser as quiet and powerful as this I would buy it too.

Hey how do your electrics fare in the heat of Texas? Does it come close to heat/current saturation even with the hubsink?

Reactions: EZL and indian22

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeap performance and quiet. Flying under the radar, literally. I can not care less what the power plant is. If there was a gasser as quiet and powerful as this I would buy it too.

Hey how do your electrics fare in the heat of Texas? Does it come close to heat/current saturation even with the hubsink?
I've had zero problems riding in plus 100 degree Texas weather, even at wfo. I attribute that to the fact that none of my bikes are over volted, or have power output above their design limits.

All the problems I'm aware of that friends have had, their ebikes were usually over volted

Reactions: EZL and indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Long term I believe silence will prevail, but confess I like the ICE motors feedback better than complete silence from the electric. Using the three electrics (one a hybrid) more than my ICE's, the e-bikes are just so user friendly. I'm glad I built the three with front hub motors, but rear hub would be better in gravel, just not enough front weight to really grip especially going up hill...other than that their golden.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Good question Zean. First the hub motors on the hybrid and the Mountain bike are 500 watt 36 volt. The fat tire bike is 1000 watt 48 volt. 746 watts equals one H.P. none of the motors have gear reduction just straight direct drive so the torque effect isn't super high either.

Here's where my answer gets a bit iffy. All three of my forks are regular bicycle two are steel and the M.B. is a decent after market Rock Shox aluminum. I prefer the steel, not as prone to cracking, but suspension forks in steel aren't very common. I like the ride of my full suspension mountain bike so there's that. The fat bike I'd planned on getting a suspension for but the big tires ride nice and I'm going to stick with what came on the frame. It's an inexpensive Mongoose but the fork seems ok. The classic spring girder fork on my hybrid is strong enough for a light street motorcycle so no worries there. Some regular bikes from Wally world, might be a problem with even 1000 watt direct drive, unless you add a torque arm from the motor to the fork. I personally wouldn't run a front e-hub on a cheap aluminum fork...period, even with a torque arm. I may be overly cautious on this.

I'd think those that have decent quality aluminum frames and forks would be better served running a rear e-hub, especially if you go off road or really knarley back roading

. The bikes just hook up better with rear wheel setup. I like my front wheel setup on the street but give the front wheel drive a five on ten scale when the gravel or sand gets deep. Locking the front suspension on the M.B. helps, but still just a 5 with motor assist.

Now brakes. The hubs come rotor disc ready and adapters are readily available for the calipers. If you go disc I'd suggest 203mm & caliper adapter to match this offset. These hubs are big and some calipers aren't going to the clear motor housing with smaller rotors.

Rick C.

Reactions: EZL and zean

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Mason I've watched the big promise of hydrogen fuel cells since the sixties & the promise has merit though the reality has died over and over...maybe this time.

I like the classics, new or old. Now owning a Crocker that's the Holy grail of Crusader rabbit & by extension me.

Rick C.