This forum needs a name change

GoldenMotor.com

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
I’m with you Missy, I love to build something rather than assemble a kit. I’ve got 3 gas bikes, 1 four stroke and 2 two strokes. All are built on highly customized frames. The 4 stroke is a bobber chopper and the two cycles are built to portray board trackers. All three bike utilize Chinese engines with custom exhausts and carbs. I’m building a fourth bike right now which is a true throw back. This bike has a homemade drop loop frame, skip chain on the right side, and a belt drive on the left side. This one is powered by a 1949 Briggs 5S engine and will utilize a left side suicide hand clutch. I’m not good at taking pics as I build, so you tall eill have to wait till spring when it’s painted, assembled and running.
As far as where I stand on gas v electric, heck I’m just jealous of you e bike owners as I just don’t have the extra cash laying around to purchase one at the present time, maybe someday.

Reactions: Tony01 and Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I've got a hoard of parts for just about every kind of thing out there... Mostly 2 stroke China doll and one 79cc predator build I still need an engine for... There's some really good 4 stroke stuff on here...

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I have several of all 3 bicycle types, e-bikes, 2 stroke china's, and analog pedal bikes, I really don't have problems with any of them except routine maintenance. The smooth quiet ride of the electrics is great, the power and simplicity of the 2 strokes are fun, and hitting the trails on a mountain bike is great exercise and fun. In a year since being into the gas bikes, I have not seen a single other one on the road in all my travels with them since I started, they are not popular here. E-bikes have become mainstream and they are all over, they're so easy to use you see 80 year old's out on them. The good thing for me on the gas bikes is I get taken for an e-bike, cops have never looked twice at me. If you are into powered bikes, try both the electric and gas, keeps things interesting:)
You'll forget those 3 types when you go to the next higher level the fourth type; a 4-stroke shifter.

Rich Allen

Oct 29, 2021
My next purchase will more than likely be a "shifter" bike, a mid-drive electric mountain bike. I rode my friends Specialized on a trail, and the ability to use the gears was wild, acceleration, climbing etc was far superior to a single speed drive. His is only about 40 lbs and you can hardly tell it's an e bike, full suspension, lots of snappy torque, it's light for a powered bicycle, shift to a high gear and it will hit 28 MPH.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I've never been pulled over; been riding an MB for 13 years. Obey all traffic laws and don't ride like an idiot.
The average cop isn't going to know the difference what you ride... They'll know it's home built and there not going to be looking for you on just the build specs... They might stop you out of curiosity wondering what your riding... But they need a violation and complaint from horse play where safety is a concern then they can dig deeper... Be nice and don't argue and your chances of a warning go up...

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I’m with you Missy, I love to build something rather than assemble a kit. I’ve got 3 gas bikes, 1 four stroke and 2 two strokes. All are built on highly customized frames. The 4 stroke is a bobber chopper and the two cycles are built to portray board trackers. All three bike utilize Chinese engines with custom exhausts and carbs. I’m building a fourth bike right now which is a true throw back. This bike has a homemade drop loop frame, skip chain on the right side, and a belt drive on the left side. This one is powered by a 1949 Briggs 5S engine and will utilize a left side suicide hand clutch. I’m not good at taking pics as I build, so you tall eill have to wait till spring when it’s painted, assembled and running.
As far as where I stand on gas v electric, heck I’m just jealous of you e bike owners as I just don’t have the extra cash laying around to purchase one at the present time, maybe someday.
The plan is to use the 3hp cover on a 79cc predator for the vintage look...

Attachments

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I love to build something rather than assemble a kit.
Never bought a kit, got a 66cc for free once. CDI went out on me on the first ride. Garbage. Ebike kits are not cheap. When I got into ebikes I understood early on that I can’t afford to buy readymade batteries at $500/kwh so I built them myself.

The ebikes tend to get cheaper as power increases. For example my next build will have the performance of a literbike for a fraction of the cost at half the weight. Something like 250lbs and 100hp peak, if I can even lay down power like that.

There are some interesting things that can be done with ebikes.The controller I will be using has a built in gyroscope and accelerometer so perhaps I can program some launch control. Also I might write a script that disables the bike and locks the rear wheel with the motor if I am not within bluetooth range like a modern keyless auto.

I’ve been pulled over a lot but I’ve only ever got tickets on my gas bikes. One speeding ticket worth over $400 for doing 55 in a 35 zone on my 212cc. Got pulled over doing 75 in a 40 on my ebike. He let me go with no ticket.

Attachments

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Never bought a kit, got a 66cc for free once. CDI went out on me on the first ride. Garbage. Ebike kits are not cheap. When I got into ebikes I understood early on that I can’t afford to buy readymade batteries at $500/kwh so I built them myself.

The ebikes tend to get cheaper as power increases. For example my next build will have the performance of a literbike for a fraction of the cost at half the weight. Something like 250lbs and 100hp peak, if I can even lay down power like that.

There are some interesting things that can be done with ebikes.The controller I will be using has a built in gyroscope and accelerometer so perhaps I can program some launch control. Also I might write a script that disables the bike and locks the rear wheel with the motor if I am not within bluetooth range like a modern keyless auto.

I’ve been pulled over a lot but I’ve only ever got tickets on my gas bikes. One speeding ticket worth over $400 for doing 55 in a 35 zone on my 212cc. Got pulled over doing 75 in a 40 on my ebike. He let me go with no ticket.
Tony, I’m still in awe over how you build your own batteries. I would really love to see a YouTube tutorial on how you go about it from material purchase, to assembly , to figuring out how to figure the output. I’m an electrician by trade but know very little of electronics.

Last edited:

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
This forum needs a name change. Claiming a gas powered bicycle is a motor bicycle is false advertising. A correct definition would be something nerdy ass like engine bicycle, or enginized bicycle. :ride:

This is a motorized bicycle
View attachment 112038
[Actually by definition that’s not a bicycle because it has no pedals]

• Haha
Reactions: wrench

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Nah it's got pedals ya just can't see em at the angle the pic was taken

These E Bikes ( E mopeds) such as Stealth and Sur Ron are called E mopeds and are suppose to be registered as such in most states

But some Mopeds are more powerful and faster than the law defines as a Moped
In this case, by law, their suppose to be registered as a Motor Driven Cycle or M/C and yes to be street legal it means having all the Registration requirements for M/C

But ya know what they say "It's only illegal if ya get caught' LOL

Reactions: Oldbiscuit

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Nah it's got pedals ya just can't see em at the angle the pic was taken

These E Bikes ( E mopeds) such as Stealth and Sur Ron are called E mopeds and are suppose to be registered as such in most states

But some Mopeds are more powerful and faster than the law defines as a Moped
In this case, by law, their suppose to be registered as a Motor Driven Cycle or M/C and yes to be street legal it means having all the Registration requirements for M/C

But ya know what they say "It's only illegal if ya get caught' LOL
I see that now Wrench. I missed that at first glance.

Reactions: wrench

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The question is not which kind of bike is best. The best bike is the one you like the best. The question is if my pedal crank is stripped out, or my head bearings need replacement, of I want to install new forks, or whatever, why can't I post my question in the main forum where I'm more likely to get an answer?

And yes, my bike has pedals, and a 9 speed Suntour VBoxx. The pedals have nothing to do with the motor. If you take the battery out of the bike it would still pedal exactly the same.

20221213_154128.jpg

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The question is not which kind of bike is best. The best bike is the one you like the best. The question is if my pedal crank is stripped out, or my head bearings need replacement, of I want to install new forks, or whatever, why can't I post my question in the main forum where I'm more likely to get an answer?

And yes, my bike has pedals, and a 9 speed Suntour VBoxx. The pedals have nothing to do with the motor. If you take the battery out of the bike it would still pedal exactly the same.

View attachment 112124
Have you posted in these other areas before and had the thread moved by a moderator?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
II always look at "What's New" when I get on this Forum

I just posted about my E Bike in the E Bike (Forum) section and what do ya know, at the top of the page in "What's New" is my thread about my E Bike LOL

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
It doesn’t really matter because with how mainstream ebikes are today, people no longer have incentive to build their own stuff. I put all my threads in the MB fabrication, welding, paint forum because at this point one of my builds is more custom than the next 10 random builds combined. Most people who call themselves “builders” today are more like “assemblers” and this is evident on the Facebook groups as well. There are only a few places I see true customs. That is here, the endless-sphere forums, and Electric Motorcycle Builds group on Facebook.

@Oldbiscuit I’ve been thinking about what you said about making a YouTube series on batteries and I don’t even know where I’d start. There’s too many suppliers and such to know what is the best. I haven’t built batts for other people for over 6 months by now as it’s far too dangerous (except that one). And the last thing I’d want is somebody hurting themselves doing it my way. This stuff isn’t fully safe. I try to give guidelines like “never charge unsupervised” or “store it outside” but my words always fall on deaf ears.

Last edited: