Things falling off motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Well, I didn't think it would happen to me but today it did. I went for a long ride today and when I got home I checked out my motorized bicycle. As it turned out, I was missing a nut from my muffler and a nut from where the engine bolts on to the frame. At least it was nothing too important... lol..

It looks like I might have to go with Loctite or something like that. I don't want to have to keep checking these nuts and bolts every time I ride. That's no fun.. lol.

Thanks for lending an ear.. Just had to say what happened.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Things falling off mb

Sometimes double nutting is not possible...if you use loctite, make sure you use the proper type for your application.

crabdance

May 16, 2008

From what I've heard, Blue Loctite is the way to go. Not Red. So that is what I'm planning on getting. I know Duane says don't use it but he's the only person who has said that. Duane can you tell me why you think I should not use the blue loctite? Thanks man.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Loctite tips-

Use medium srength for more applications. High strength for those stubborn fasteners, and sleeve retainer for stuff you don't want to remove.

Do NOT get any on your fingers and then smoke, or any on any smokeable item....it is very poisonous this way. (it doesn't taste too good plain either).

Read the directions on the package before you throw it away, you can't read the writing on the tube!

Shake well before each use.

Don't over do it.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA

I once lost the entire rear engine mount. Another time the carb after the pinchbolt broke midride. Another time engine lost nearly all power, noticed black goop everywhere it shouildn't be....all four head bolts loose!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

I found my luggage rack hanging by one support the bolt was gone from the other.

Most embarrassing was the support I bought this morning to use for my new bike. I was riding home with it stuck in my carryall on the luggage rack. Well that didn't hold it. I heard it bounce on the road but I was in traffic so I lost it. But I can image the cars around me trying to dodge it.

I need the loctite the will never let go cause my drive wheel on the chainsaw bike keeps getting loose.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

So far I lost two set screws to one of my sprockets but I think the nut behind the wheel was loose.....:p

I figure I don't worry too much about stuff falling off unless I slow down.

I've never had any engine mount stuff come loose, but I used new well made nylock nuts....they seem to hold well. Also, as my engine broke in it got smoother and smoother, so less vibration to loosen my precious nuts.

crabdance

May 16, 2008

Thanks for all the help about the loctite and stuff. I just noticed that all the nuts and bolts had vibrated off of my back fender too. Need to get that fixed too. Thanks to everyone for your help. I need to stop this from happening or I will lose every thing

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

Nylock nuts are available at True Value. Just stock 10 or so of 6mm. The only 8mm are the head I think - can't use Nylock nutz there. The are some small screws - 4 mm and 5mm as well, no??

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com

Yes..If you use loctight, and you bought your engine from me, you will void your warranty. You will ruin the motor. First of all, loc tight is not necessary , . I have done over 300 installs with thousands and thousands of miles, and never had to use loctight. First of all, as your motor and bike breaks in, you will need to tighten your nuts and bolts down more. Loc tight will not aid you or help in this. Also, if you use the wrong loctight, you will prevent the tightening or removal of nuts and bolts. If you have a concern with a nut getting lose, go to a nyloc or double nut them. If you use glues, you will ruin those connections or at least make those connections hard to deal with or maintain. thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

so far nothing has fell off my bikes except me will loctite help with that?
Naw! I do use it on the bikes along with lock washer all of my hardware is what came with the bike engine kits I 've installed the parts and have yet to re tighten them except the head bolts on the Dax engine and I believe they came loose due to heat cycles but still haven't had anything fall off and no sheared mounting bolts. One chain guard broke by the engine due to vibs. and I re welded it.
Could it be I'm taking them apart too much to do how to posts?
Maybe the god of tight nuts is smiling on me!rotfl
Norman