The Real Deal on California Law.

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
To eliminate smoke, you can use synthetic oil such as Amsoil Dominator or Asoil Interceptor or Amsoil Saber Professional (I use it).

Otherwise you can use a very reputable synthetic such as Opti2.

I only use Amsoil because it proved to not smoke as much and they seem to be the founders of synthetic oils.
Great advice gera, synthetics are better. I'm just too cheap to put out that much money for the good stuff, so I smoke a little, and my bike does too.
fatdaddy.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
They are not necessarily more expensive because you can mix a Saber Professional oil at like 50:1-100:1 and Opti2 at 100:1. That would end up saving you some.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
They are not necessarily more expensive because you can mix a Saber Professional oil at like 50:1-100:1 and Opti2 at 100:1. That would end up saving you some.
Thanks gera, I think you're right. I would use half (or less) of the amount I now use per gallon. I'm gonna check it out.
fatdaddy.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Pretty much. But I am still using 32:1 to be on the safe side. I might test it later. I mix about 3 oz Amsoil and 1 oz non-synthetic oil for break for a gallon of gas. It was like 10 dollars for a quart of oil for Amsoil. That seems like average price.

Now with the law, how many of you ride with shorts?
It's so hot outside, I just can't stand jeans, but then jeans would be considered safer than shorts.
What about shirts:
Do you all ride with short sleeved shirts?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Levis, a t shirt and an annoying bright safety yellow vest with orange stripes/ reflective stripes.
If I anyone hits me, the classic statement "I didn't see him" would be hard to believe.
I also have a stupidly bright strobe LED light on the front fender.
A Christmas tree effect, not really, but I am still working on it.
I would need a sissy bar on the back for the plastic angel to sit atop though.
That's never happening.

GoPed

Jul 30, 2012
Los Angeles
To eliminate smoke, you can use synthetic oil such as Amsoil Dominator or Asoil Interceptor or Amsoil Saber Professional (I use it).

Otherwise you can use a very reputable synthetic such as Opti2.

I only use Amsoil because it proved to not smoke as much and they seem to be the founders of synthetic oils.
Defiantly gonna use Opti2 but the things still in break-in so no synthetic oil and no lean mixes for now

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i usually ride in jeans. t shirts in the summer, jacket in the winter.

i hate riding in shorts, unless its just a quick run to the liquor store.

as far as the "i didn't see him" excuse, you should always ride like you're invisible. even if you make eye contact with a driver, always assume they're still gonna try and run you down.

always think and plan ahead. leave yourself an escape route.

i think a mirror is one of the most important things on a bike. since i already assume they don't see me, no matter how many lights i have or how bright my clothes are, i like to see them coming.

i've seen people barreling down on me, even when i'm doing 45mph, and i'll get out of the way. normally i ride in traffic at the speed limit (disregarding the 30mph bike limit) but this is california. to drivers, 45 means 55.

unless i'm drafting a car down pch at the same speed as the cars around me, i don't assume i have the right of way. if someone wants to go faster, i let them go around me.

it's bad enough i'm traveling fast enough to kill myself on an overpowered bicycle, i don't wanna get run over after i fall.

i don't recommend building 50mph bikes for anyone, but i'm a little crazy when it comes to going fast.

i've also noticed a lot of drivers will give me plenty of room when i'm flying down the street at the same speeds as them. something about a guy doing 50 on a beach cruiser seems to freak them out.

i can't imagine why...:)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
50mph on a BICYCLE? Well, I guess we ALL can't be sane.
I've been on two wheel since I was 10, and the best advice I ever got came from an old Red&White friend. YOU ARE INVISABLE, They will look straight at you and not see you. So far, so good. No wrecks with cars.
fatdaddy.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
i don't recommend building 50mph bikes for anyone, but i'm a little crazy when it comes to going fast.
I agree with much of what you wrote in the post above and I think in general with many of the posts of yours I recall seeing. One thing I have a hard time understanding though is why anyone thinks it's much of a big deal to go "fast" on a motorized bicycle? I've been on motorcycles at 115mph, cars to 130. It seems to me motor assisted bicycles are perfectly suited as LSVs, efficient, cost effective local utility. If a real need for speed is what one is after, aren't MABs just a bit under-achievers?

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's usually not the speed that's the issue, but the integrity of the bike itself.

a lot of people think you can put a really fast motor on a $100 bike and still be safe.

some of the builds i've seen around, i'd be afraid to pedal them fast, much less ride them at 30+...

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Bairdco do you ride on shocks? I think shocks are the way to go for high speed although I don't have them and therefore try to go no quicker than 35.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
And the design.

20 is fast enough on the 20" wheel Revive with me perched way up high. Also the speed the happy time is pretty much vibration free.

Electrics are so smooth I just want to go faster, so I am building the 29 incher. Also has the stability for 30 mph.

Yeah, smooth and stable is good - :)

I never want to go over 30 on a bicycle. That's what motorcycles are for.

GoPed

Jul 30, 2012
Los Angeles
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf look on page 3!

This is what it says in the 2012 California DMV handbook

Motorized Bicycles
There are two definitions for motorized bicycles (mopeds).
A motorized bicycle is:
• A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:
– Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
– A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
– An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406(a))
• A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC §406(b))
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:
• Must be 16 years of age or older.
• Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
• Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements. (CVC §12804.9)
You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed.
Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.
dance1

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
What is the good news?
Exclamation point abuse should be a serious offense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

406 (b) refers to ebikes not gas powered bikes.
ebikes don't need a drivers license, license plate and you only have to be 16 and wear a bicycle helmet.

406 (a) Gas powered bikes require an M2 or M1 license.
$19 one time fee license plate.
DOT helmet.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf look on page 3!

Motorized Bicycles

There are two definitions for motorized bicycles (mopeds).

A motorized bicycle is:
• A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:
– Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
– A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
– An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406(a))

• A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC §406(b))
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:
• Must be 16 years of age or older.
• Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
• Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements. (CVC §12804.9)

You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed.
Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look on page 3!http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

This is what is says on PAGE 3.....

LICENSE
REQUIREmENTS
California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle
operation:

• Class M1—You may operate
any two-wheel motorcycle,
motor-driven cycle, or motorized
scooter and all vehicles listed
under Class M2.
NOTE: The permit and license
requirements in this handbook
pertain to two-wheel vehicles
and are referenced in Section 12804.9
of the California Vehicle Code.

Class M2—You may operate any
motorized bicycle, moped, or a
bicycle with an attached motor,
or a motorized scooter

GoPed

Jul 30, 2012
Los Angeles
What is the good news?
Exclamation point abuse should be a serious offense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

406 (b) refers to ebikes not gas powered bikes.
ebikes don't need a drivers license, license plate and you only have to be 16 and wear a bicycle helmet.

406 (a) Gas powered bikes require an M2 or M1 license.
$19 one time fee license plate.
DOT helmet.
Well the Good News Was I confused a cop with it laff

GoPed

Jul 30, 2012
Los Angeles
This is what is says on PAGE 3.....

LICENSE
REQUIREmENTS
California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle
operation:

• Class M1—You may operate
any two-wheel motorcycle,
motor-driven cycle, or motorized
scooter and all vehicles listed
under Class M2.
NOTE: The permit and license
requirements in this handbook
pertain to two-wheel vehicles
and are referenced in Section 12804.9
of the California Vehicle Code.

Class M2—You may operate any
motorized bicycle, moped, or a
bicycle with an attached motor,
or a motorized scooter
do you still need the lights

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
This thread has some interesting points even if they are somewhat off subject. A couple of themes that keep coming up are just because you are legal, (minimum lights, plates, mirror(s) M1 license, I don't think anyone gets an M2) it doesn't necessarily mean you are safe, and regardless of the build, it is up to us to be safe regardless how fast our bikes are capable of. I have been riding for just about two years and in some ways I think I have made every mistake in the book as far as buying the wrong frame, the wrong engine etc. But... one of the things I have learned is to respect the bike. I know my cheap 26" Chinese cruiser with a 66 cc china girl is good to 25 mph even though I know it will go well over 30. After 25 it just doesn't seem like a good idea! This was aluded to earlier when someone said that they wouldn't feel safe peddling some bikes fast much less running them with an engine! I think it's this lack of respect for the bike where many get into trouble. I would like to believe that the guys who are capable of building a 45, 50 mph bike also know what they are doing once they are on it and I suppose the ultimate compliment is if you are used to going 25 and get on a 45 mph bike and actually feel somewhat safe then someone has done one **** of a job building it! My next one will be a four stroke and cruising comfortably at 30 relatively vibration free will be the goal. Thanks for reading, thanks for listening, always open to suggestions.