The Epic an electric tri car.

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles' started by fasteddy, Oct 18, 2017.

1. fasteddy

fasteddy Well-Known Member

SB & Curt,
    Thank you. It was like trying to level a chair with one leg that is too short. Used the file a lot for fine shaping it at the end.

Steve.

2. fasteddy

Got a lot done today and didn't stop for photos. All kinds of creative staring and even more creative muttering. Welded the mount in where the bike attaches to the tongue and measured where the tongue will be welded to the front axle and cut the struts that go from the tongue to the front axle near the spindles to brace the front axle so it can't wobble back and forth.

Lost of welding tomorrow if the weather is good.

Steve.

3. fasteddy

Have it all welded up. Tomorrow I'll grind the welds up and make pretty and add the tube that will enclose the steering from the handle bars to the pitman arm for the steering. The arms on the spindle will have to be cut off and new ones welded on so the Ackerman Steering Angle can be figured in. This is the angle that the steering arms must be for the steering to work properly.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...ing_geometry&usg=AOvVaw2g65G6q_16hzU4JfldZtnQ

Once the frame is welded together I'll store it inside and work on it through the winter as the parts come in. I have the front hubs on the way and I'll get the wheels laced into them right away. Still working out what the the battery box will look like.

Steve.

DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG

4. fasteddy

Got the tubing for the steering welded to the bottom bearing cup first thing today. The steering tube will be inside this with the regular bike bearings on top and a sealed bearing on the bottom. This way I don't have to weld to the head tube.

Then I looked at the mount for the bike to the tongue and boys that's when the day went bad faster than a greased eel over a waterfall. I cut the tubing I was going to weld the bike to off and then spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what to do next. Just as I was ready to weld a replacement on the sun was going down and saved me. I'll get photos tomorrow of what I came up with.

One major problem with the Monark frame is that there are no straight tubes to work with when it comes up to measuring and making sure the frame is level. Everything has a curved surface except the seat tube. I'll put an angle finder on the sidecar Monark and work with that to find out where the bike should be mounted to the front end.

Steve.

5. fasteddy

Far more measuring and leveling today than I'd planned for. It took a lot longer to get everything squared and level but it all came together at last and I got a lot of it welded. The poor old frame had a hard life and I wasn't sure just where to square it off on the frame. Finally I went to the bottom bracket figuring it was where the factory put it and it was straight.

When I was restoring the other Monark there was a lot of information on one of the vintage bike sites about what to look for when buying a Monark frame. It seems they had design flaws that showed up if the bike was treated roughly by the little Heathens riding them. Sure, build a boys bike and plan for it to be used lightly. Brilliant planning.

The new mount for the bike to the front end is coming along really well. I would have finished it if I hadn't run out of welding wire. Had a plan to go to our version of Harbour Freight tomorrow morning so I'll load up with wire while I'm there.

Steve.

6. fasteddy

A day full of success. Got what I needed at the store and got home in time to weld up the rest of the bike. If tomorrow is a decent day I plan to get the steering that came with the axle modified to match what I built. The steering arms are almost in line with the center of the rear axle to match the Akerman steering but need to be inboard about an 1-1/2" on each side to be perfectly in line. With someone sitting in the chair on the front the steering alignment becomes critical.

I decided to make the frame separate from the front end of the bike so the whole tri car can be broken down into the seat, the front end and the bike in case it needs to be moved in something other that the cargo trailer I have. The Indian tri car is built the same way.

Steve.

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG

7. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Looking really good Steve, that made a nice axle setup................Curt

8. fasteddy

Thanks Curt.

Steve.

9. fasteddy

Got the rest of the welding I wanted to do, done. There is still more to do but the basic bike is ready. Cold weather is closing in but I'll be back outside welding up the last bits as the cold and rain allow. Battery box and the steering I will do inside and have photos as I go along.
    It will be a few days before I have photos again since the shop needs a major clean up once more or at least the paths widened.

The Akerman worked out to be close enough to be good. In some of the photos you will see a green string {I hope} running from the rear of the bike to the spindles on the front axle. This is how I checked the Akerman angle which allows the steering to work properly. Basically there is a point in the middle of the rear axle that an imaginary line runs from to the middle of the spindles. The steering arms have to follow this angle to allow one of the front wheels to turn in a larger radius than the wheel on the inside of the turning circle which turns in a smaller radius. This is called the Akerman principal or theory.

I welded two supports on the steering tube. In their former life they were the jack crank handle for a much loved Toyota that the family had a few years ago. It was on it's way to the trash before I retrieved it and added it to the metal stash.

To hold the spindles straight I used a couple of blocks of wood and clamps as well as a piece of angle iron.

Right now The Epic frame has cost me $150 Canadian.

Steve.

DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

#29 fasteddy, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  10. fasteddy

I'll be back with more photos in a few days. I've been cleaning up the shop for a few days and there's more to do and yes it really was that bad. There was a really narrow choice to be made. Either stop and clean it up or at least make the paths wider.

Steve.

11. fasteddy

Garage clean up is done. Made one wonderful discovery while I was at it though. The garage floor, not to mention numerous other "I don't remember that." gifts. I got the Curry mid motor out of it's box and found out its a 650-1680W motor. Plenty of Power for the tri car which I don't think of as a high speed vehicle but more of a slow cruiser. Another benefit is it has the early motor mount that clamps on the seat tube instead of being being under the down tube and attached to the bottom bracket.

The mount looks to be pretty substantial and I'll put it all together in a couple of days to see how it looks and decide if I want to copy it in steel and not aluminum for a more vintage look or if I can to put it behind a chain guard to cover it which may be more practical.

Here is what the motor, controller and pedal parts are like. I bought the kit years ago from Sick Bike Parts who have an ad on the top of the page. Look at the electric shifter kit. They now sell the 3,000W kit.

Steve.

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG

12. fasteddy

I started mocking up the battery box today with cardboard. I'll have it made up with cardboard in a day or two so it's in 3D and looks like it will when it's built.

Steve.