The 2010 4-Stroke in-frame Build-Off!

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Wiley,
As a new member you have to have I think three posts before pictures will upload. Look forward to seeing your bike. That's an impressive trip and a good average speed. Welcome to the forum and to this build off.
SB

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
Well, the bike's been idle for about a week now. I changed the oil last month and it turns out some of it spilled in the kickstand mounting hole. It was hard to tell that it happened since the bike's black. The vibrations from the motor, as well as the oil, caused the kickstand to come loose eventually.

I noticed it during a trip, so I took it off and tossed it in one of my baskets, hoping to clean everything and put it back together when I got back home. Instead, during the ride home, and I still can't figure out how it happened, but the kickstand managed to poke its way out of the basket into the spokes of the rear wheel.

I managed to stop without falling, but the damage is still done. The basket was bent to **** and the spokes on the left side of the wheel are all tweaked. I decided to use that "opportunity" to get a new rear wheel, this time with a heavy duty axle and with the sprocket mounted directly to it.

Here it is in happier times, doing laundry duty.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ah, man...that is a bummer. The good part is you didn't get hurt. I admit that I have been more negligent on checking my four stroke build for tightness of nuts, bolts... checking to see that everything is still there where it should be. There's so much less vibration on mine than I've experienced with the Happy Time 2 strokes that I like to think there isn't any vibration and that is not true. By comparison, just about, but eventually even small vibration can loosen things. I've used a couple center stands just like yours and even with a nylock nut underneath those things seem to work themselves loose eventually. Well, you were perhaps thinking to upgrade the rear wheel eventually... this jumped things forward some.
SB

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
Here's my late entry. I built the frame fro scratch. All 4130 aircraft tubing, brass brazed. Engine is an EH035 Subaru driving the left side crank. 24 engine-driven speeds. Recently rode it from san diego to las vegas in 2.5 das. Averaged 25mph pulling a 60lb trailer. Staton gearbox geared to spin the cranks at 100rpm at peak power.

Where's the picture?? doesn't open.. ??

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
He hadn't posted enough times to allow the images to link.

Also, on the topic of kickstands, I'm thinking a traditional rear kickstand will be more stable, even without the oil-penetrated threads. As it is, the weight of the bike eventually bends the metal bracket on the bike where the center stand is mounted, causing the bike to become unstable rather quickly. Anyone had better luck with the traditional stands?

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
A bit more about the bike, then, hopefully, a picture. I'll be doing a 500-mile ride around Arizona on it december 17th with a friend. After that, it will be shipped back to Bozeman, MT where I'll build a tank for it, along with a trussed fork. I haven't built a fork yet, so I'm looking forward to that challenge.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Well I did it. It rained today so I didn't work. I built the bike. lots of parts came from my blue Ez bike. New is the cantilever frame. My old frame had baloon tires but wasn't a baloon tire frame. So the chain rubbed the frame pretty bad. I also installed a Creative Engineering hub adapter. I used a 36 tooth crank chain sprocket. This gives me more stopping power because it gears me lower. It also let me drop my engine considerably because the crank sprocket isn't as high. The one thing that isn't done yet is the Vintage springer I bought on Ebay for $159. I have to get it painted & re chromed. For now I'm using my aftermarket springer :( .

Attachments

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I don't know if I'll get the vintage springer on before the build off is over. Monday I bought a new Worksman tandem & a HF 79cc to put on it. Bonnie says " you can't buy anymore parts until the credit card bill comes" (we always pay it off when it comes). Hope it comes soon rotfl

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Thank you Silverbear
That means allot coming from a master like your self. I try to keep it clean looking I believe that less is more, I make up for it with all the features from the billet aluminum and ball bearing throttle to the HD Axle Free Wheel. And my customized engine mount that lets me keep the chain tight and loose the chain idler. The top tube tank with clear see through fuel filter and clear see through fuel line help loose yet another bolt on that can clutter up the look.
The next feature is the custom made exhaust made with over sized pipe and a hand made muffler with 5 baffles then extending on right to the very back of the rear wheel. All the while trying to make this bike as safe to ride as possible with brakes front and rear and sealed bearings front and rear as well. The last of the features are the free wheel on the rear that will make it easier to pedal when the engine is shut down and a 22 tooth pedal side rear sprocket that help make the whole pedaling experience much more enjoyable.
Who ever ends up with bike is going to be a very lucky person the Felt 1903 was my first choice when I started doing this a year ago and when is sells I will be a little heart broken as this bike is my crowning glory.
Cheers from Blow By U
Terry

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wiley,
I wanted to compliment you on several levels. Your bike is something else and obviously performs as great transportation. That you made it from the frame up, brazing it all together yourself, designing it to fulfill your needs is impressive. You have a great fountain of creative energy and obviously just like to make things, out of metal and paint or words and images. It's a good way to live I think, as a maker of things generating your own light as you go. I'd like to know more about the how to of your engine/gearbox/drive train as it looks like a great setup. I also have a set of those Fat Franks and think they give a great ride. Just spent a pleasant and interesting hour wandering around your links... thanks.
SB

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I like your bike build. I think that the desert picture makes
quite a statement.
Thanks. My goal for the build was a bike that looked somewhat old fashioned but that had the same cockpit geometry as my regular road bicycle. This does that, making it a great long-distance machine.

I'll be taking it on a 570-mile loop through Arizona in 2 weeks, so I'll post some more desert photos when I get back.