Thanks for having me!

GoldenMotor.com

TyrantTaren

May 16, 2019
I've only just registered with this forum, but I already know I'll be greatly indebted to the massive knowledge base here.

I am a TOTAL newbie when it comes to the motorization of a bicycle, and motors in general for that matter, but I'm smart enough to pick it up as I go. As for bicycles themselves, I've been riding since I was a youngster, and have always maintained them myself. Beyond that, I have a deep foundation in physics and the way the physical world functions, and can comprehend anything that is properly rooted in the subject.

I've come here for help with my first, and likely my most important, project. I am on a journey of sorts (with no actual specific destination), and I need a reliable form of transportation. I have a "cheap or free" mentality, and would much rather consume elbow grease than cash, DIY to the max!

I'll make sure to ask more specific questions in more appropriate threads, but the short version is, I NEED HELP! I have a nearly-new 29" Schwinn Ascension, and a new-in-box 79cc Predator generator gas engine, from Harbor Freight (I've paid $90 total, for both). I intend to build and install my own frame to mount the engine above the rear tire, chain driven. I need this build to be durable enough to take me coast to coast, and thousands of miles beyond that. I'm willing to entertain any suggestions that don't include the word 'buy', and even then I might still, as long as I can get it for the right price (I have someone delivering a 10t clutch, and I'd prefer a rather large driven sprocket... Only things I've convinced myself are worth spending money on if I need to)

I totally feel like I've missed a few things, but that's the basics of what has brought me to this site. I look forward to seeing ya'lls opinions, and sharing the final result!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, we have a lot of four stroke riders here that can probably help you out. Look at the DIY or non kit section to see what others have done.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome and I applaud both your purpose and frugality. Repurposed parts, used or other wise are readily available. Deciding on the critical components you'll require can be a time consuming but pleasurable first step to a dependable and safe moto build. I constructed several motorized bikes before learning of this forum and have built many more since. My mistakes have been myriad and expensive along the way, but much of that could've been avoided had I studied and understood before building anything. Learn, have fun along the way. It's not rocket science but it took a couple pf bike builders to get the world airborne!

Rick C.

TyrantTaren

May 16, 2019
Failure can be the greatest teacher, however I still prefer to learn from my pupils when possible (it's usually less painful), and turn to 'the master' only for the hardest of lessons.

TyrantTaren

May 16, 2019
Peers* I don't know why I said pupil lol...

And idk dogcatcher.... I can definitely think of some stupid things, that I knew were stupid beforehand, but did anyway, and still didn't learn a damn thing haha XD

RuskieTheInfidel

May 23, 2019
Coast to Coast would be a hard thing to achieve on a motorized bike, but I would LOVE to see it happen, I’m sure that would be some type of record? Good luck! I’ll be following. :)