Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

Mjones

Apr 30, 2012
lubbock
I have a different problem and my vehicle doesn't fit any legal description. We got a quadribent from blackbirdbikes.com The connecting kit for the two recumbents makes for a very heavy vehicle and since we are both older and not in great shape, we added motors to the rear wheels.
Well the laws for scooters states 3 wheels and under 100 pounds. One site said as long as we kept the speed under 20mph we should be OK, but we aren't really sure how fast this thing will go. My motor is 36v 700w and my husband's is 48v 700w We just got it all put back together this evening and took a short spin around the block. We couldn't test his because his brake was rubbing the cargo carrier which we'll fix tomorrow. With just my motor, we got up to 20mph in half a block.
We've had this for 4 years, but only had a 24v which only got up to 12mp and the police would just laugh when they saw us. Should we just do our best to keep the speed down when we see police?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a different problem and my vehicle doesn't fit any legal description. We got a quadribent from blackbirdbikes.com The connecting kit for the two recumbents makes for a very heavy vehicle and since we are both older and not in great shape, we added motors to the rear wheels.
Well the laws for scooters states 3 wheels and under 100 pounds. One site said as long as we kept the speed under 20mph we should be OK, but we aren't really sure how fast this thing will go. My motor is 36v 700w and my husband's is 48v 700w We just got it all put back together this evening and took a short spin around the block. We couldn't test his because his brake was rubbing the cargo carrier which we'll fix tomorrow. With just my motor, we got up to 20mph in half a block.
We've had this for 4 years, but only had a 24v which only got up to 12mp and the police would just laugh when they saw us. Should we just do our best to keep the speed down when we see police?
Hi Mjones, welcome to the forum.

I can't imagine what a headache it's going to be figuring out you legal status. Being electric powered is a whole different can of worms.

Texas does have special statutes for eBikes, but that's not going to apply to a 4 wheeler. Most states follow federal guidelines for eBikes, but again, that's not going to apply to any 4 wheeler.

If it should turn out you can't legally ride them on streets in Texas, and I'm not saying you can't, you could consider turning them into trikes. All of the federal guidelines include up to 3 wheels.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Mjones

Apr 30, 2012
lubbock
Thanks for the response. For now we'll just keep it slow and make sure we peddle when we see police. Like I said, they always laugh and wave at two old people on funny bike

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I think quad bicycles are cool. I don't see any reason for it to be ruled anything different than a bicycle or electric bicycle, if it's obviously pedal powered with wheels and running gear off a bicycle, or something like a RhodesCar. It might be good to have flashers or a flag, maybe even the slow moving vehicle triangle. That ought to keep following cars from getting confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QxO0_-pNYI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF8714E1113FE0FD7 3 and 4 wheel electric bicycles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJeJLVwWtY&feature=relmfu
4 wheel bicycle with 40cc Tanaka engine

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Dallas motor bicycle ride June 9
Contact to sign up.

I've cued several events but no one has been able to get together for one yet. Here's one a month away, for 100mi, but we can use one of the 30mi routes instead if that works better for folks.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Cool thread.

I've passed one cop in San Marcos and didn't even get a return wave. So far I haven't made a trip into town with the bike running well so I've been limited to less than 25 mph. Just swapped to a lower frame, 36 tooth sprocket and might end up changing to a different carb and air filter when finances allow. A test run gave me a cruising 23 when before the gear swap I was maxing at 18. I'll have to wait and see how SMPD reacts to the new set up.

I've seen two or three gas bikes, where I got the idea, but they didn't last long. Also spotted an electric bike/trailer last week.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Cool thread.

I've passed one cop in San Marcos and didn't even get a return wave. So far I haven't made a trip into town with the bike running well so I've been limited to less than 25 mph. Just swapped to a lower frame, 36 tooth sprocket and might end up changing to a different carb and air filter when finances allow. A test run gave me a cruising 23 when before the gear swap I was maxing at 18. I'll have to wait and see how SMPD reacts to the new set up.

I've seen two or three gas bikes, where I got the idea, but they didn't last long. Also spotted an electric bike/trailer last week.
Thanks for informing us of your experience. I'm sure you'll find that nobody will bother you if you ride respectfully.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Yesterday I was riding my usual route along the service road, about 30mph, and some cars on the highway slowed, apparently to pace me and see how fast my bike was. ;-)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Has anyone heard of all the robberies they've had on the Katy trail lately? I think 4 or 5 people have been robbed in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Usually early in the morning about 6 am. 2 black gentlemen jump out from the side of the trail with a gun and demand money, and your I phone. I think at least 3 I phones have been stolen.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I have been riding my MB in Leander, Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Austin TX for about a month now with not even a second look from a cop. I thought if I had trouble anywhere it would be where I live, Leander TX. They will pull you over here for the slightest violation. I had one turn behind me once riding though my neighborhood, and he came up behind me at a stop sign (that I stopped at), but I think he was just following his normal rout, because he turned at the next street. I have met one other guy that builds MB's, he lives about 5 miles from me, and I see him riding fairly often. I met one in Austin, by accident at a bike shop, and I have seen another on a weed eater friction drive conversion, and spoke to a couple of guys that had their bikes on sale on Craigslist so I am thinking Austin and surrounding areas are good.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have been riding my MB in Leander, Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Austin TX for about a month now with not even a second look from a cop. I thought if I had trouble anywhere it would be where I live, Leander TX. They will pull you over here for the slightest violation. I had one turn behind me once riding though my neighborhood, and he came up behind me at a stop sign (that I stopped at), but I think he was just following his normal rout, because he turned at the next street. I have met one other guy that builds MB's, he lives about 5 miles from me, and I see him riding fairly often. I met one in Austin, by accident at a bike shop, and I have seen another on a weed eater friction drive conversion, and spoke to a couple of guys that had their bikes on sale on Craigslist so I am thinking Austin and surrounding areas are good.
Thanks for the report. Your towns police sound just like mine. I was thinking the same thing when I started riding my mb, but I haven't had any trouble either.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
My bucket of luck ran dry a while back. Around here since my stop sign ticket they watch me as closely as a dog starring at a doughnut.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Oh they let me ride, it's just they are always giving me this look like there're waiting for me to do something so they can peg me and enforce bike laws on me only, who cares about all the other little kids that run the stop signs without looking both ways. They care only for my safety. Atleast that's what they told me anyways.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Oh they let me ride, it's just they are always giving me this look like there're waiting for me to do something so they can peg me and enforce bike laws on me only, who cares about all the other little kids that run the stop signs without looking both ways. They care only for my safety. Atleast that's what they told me anyways.
Oh I see. Well they'll probably get over it eventually. Try getting on their good side somehow.

Lately I've been riding my bicycle a lot more. I don't feel nearly as free to flaunt the law on my mb, as when I'm riding my bicycle. I get ugly looks on the trails too.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Has anybody had any trouble with road stalkers? Today was my first day completely replacing my truck for commuting and it has been fun. Earlier I made a run to the gas station and was cruising along around 30 mph and got a funny feeling like someone was watching me. Looked back and there was a truck following about 50 yds back. I swung onto the sidewalk and slowed down. They did also. Got on the gas up to max speed then rolled to a stop. They followed suit. This time, however, when I left they stayed parked.