Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

bigbird1219

Feb 24, 2011
corpus christi, tx
Nice post! Hi! I'm John in Corpus, and it now strikes me as funny how after a few years reading these posts every so often, I only now thought to join in. The "catalyst" which now compels me to join in?... Well,... no cop has ever before, thoughout the years, ever expressed anything negative about my gas motor-assist bicycles, in fact,... they (typically) merely laughed, and asked a couple of friendly questions. Ater all these several years, I finally encountered, the other day, a "busy-body"/bored cop, way out on a country road outside of Corpus, who wanted to make a big/negative deal about the 48/49 cc "China Girl" on my mountain bike. I had pulled out of the driveway, driving, as normal, usually for me, on the shoulder, when he (Nueces County Constable) stopped ahead on the shouler, and waited for me to catch up to where he was sitting. He eventually got back in his patrol car after I pointed out that the motor is 48-49 cc, hence, under U.S. Federal law, still legally just a bicycle,... and Federal Law, in the abscence of ANY specific Texas statute, is the only concievable law that specifically could be applicable to a gas motor assist bicycle under 50cc displacement... Texas has never bothered to codify ANY specific GAS powered bicycle assist statute. As he got back into his car, he said I should have a helmet on, to which I expressed feigned dismay, bleating out,... "When did they pass THAT new statute for bicycles!?!", to which he mumbled that their isn't one, but that it's a "good idea" anyway... Whereupon,... he then drove off from whence he came... HA! "Creeping authoritarianism!" Of such little increments are suffocation of our innate freedoms inexoribly suffocated!... ALL hail "The NANNY STATE with the mailed fist!... Police officers have the LEGAL authority to enforce codified laws, NOT their own paticular pejudices,... whether pro or con,... on ANY particular issue. ...
that's good that you didn't have any trouble especially with the constable. i actually road through a police substation in Flour Bluff just to see if they would say anything to me. the few officers standing around outside, just kinda gave me a funny stare but other than that they continued on with their conversations and didn't do a darn thing.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
that's good that you didn't have any trouble especially with the constable. i actually road through a police substation in Flour Bluff just to see if they would say anything to me. the few officers standing around outside, just kinda gave me a funny stare but other than that they continued on with their conversations and didn't do a darn thing.
Hi bigbird, hey how long ago was that? Is Flour Bluff in Texas?

When I first got my MB last year I was doing just like you. I was actually riding after cops to make sure they saw me riding my MB just to see what they might do. In every case the answer was nothing. It was difficult to even get them to notice me.

bigbird1219

Feb 24, 2011
corpus christi, tx
this was on saturday, and ya flour bluff is a community in Corpus Christi. they really didn't seem to care at all, and i forgot to mention but i was waiting at a red light on a busy street when a constable pulled up in the lane next to me. i got a little scared that he would pull me over, but he didn't.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
this was on saturday, and ya flour bluff is a community in Corpus Christi. they really didn't seem to care at all, and i forgot to mention but i was waiting at a red light on a busy street when a constable pulled up in the lane next to me. i got a little scared that he would pull me over, but he didn't.
Yeah, that's my same experience riding the 7 or 8 nearest suburbs around Dallas for the last 6 months..

Nolabikes

May 29, 2011
New Orleans LA
Greetings TX friends. Please excuse then personal nature of this post. My dad just passed away and had a large collection of bikes. Some of which are MB. I am seeking help in selling the parts/bikes to other folks who love the hobby. Just fair prices, nothing special. The difficulty is that I live out of state so travel back to show the bikes / stuff would be a problem. Anyone offer any advice? Are there any north TX swap meets for bikes? Is there a club or directory of members to contact? I am just getting started to organize a process. Your advice is welcome. Jim. Cell 504-813-4656. Or email [email protected].

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx
TxDPS - MSU Electric Vehicle and Motor Assisted Scooter Information
what do yall think?

By the way, I'm michael asel from katy, texas.
I just finished my first build, its a chainsaw driven friction bike
it is an old 16" homelite two stroke modified for friction drive
it cost me zero dollars and zero cents and a ton of sweat and welding wire to make
i took it on one test run yesterday to find my drive roller was just too small and too smooth. i sleeved a larger pipe around it and textured it with a grinder and took it for a test drive
its pretty quick and i would estimate its top speed to be around 25-30ish
ill have to take it out with the gps soon
oh i also took my first trip on it today
i rode 6 miles to my girlfriend's house without incident!

Last edited by a moderator:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
thank you very much

oh okay. so there are literally no laws that apply to us?
In Texas there's no specific law governing gas Powered Motor Bicycles. We do have to follow all the rules of the road for bicycles.

You need to be aware of what constitutes the difference between a motor bicycle, and a motor vehicle. In Texas, all motor vehicles are considered self propelled. As long as you have to peddle away from a stop, it's not self propelled, and therefore not a motor vehicle.

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx
oooooh okay
thanks for clarifying
well thats pretty darn cool
what laws are there for us to follow? hand signals? helmets?
anybody know a few off the top of their head?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
These are some of the rules I know of.

Most citys in Texas require bicycles to have,

A white reflector front, and a red reflector rear.
A headlight, and taillight if riding at night.

Bicycles are not required to have turn signals.
Bicycles are required to hand signal.

The only city in Texas with an adult helmet law is Dallas.

It's against the law to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk in Texas.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
the only surprise there is the riding on the sidewalk
i had no idea that was a law i just thought people hated it
It's usually not enforced. Just don't try to ride on a sidewalk with you motor running. That'll probably get you in trouble.

Same goes for paved biking, and hiking trails. Although technically it's not against the law, unless it's posted no motor bicycles, which none are since motor bicycle aren't recognized in Texas. I've ridden on a bunch of city trails in and around Dallas without my motor running, with no problems. Even passed cops riding their bicycles.

I have started my motor a few times on the trails when no one was in sight.

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx
hmmmmm
well most of the trails and "green belts" around here have signs posted saying no motorized vehicles.
i think it would take a pretty chill cop to let you off with your motor on since they ticket the guys out there on 50 cc minibikes

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
hmmmmm
well most of the trails and "green belts" around here have signs posted saying no motorized vehicles.
i think it would take a pretty chill cop to let you off with your motor on since they ticket the guys out there on 50 cc minibikes
I'm sure you're right about that. I'm good just peddling my MB on trails, knowing it still pisses some asshats off, but they can't do anything about it.

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Yo, I just got my build working in Houston! I live at the corner of 288 and 610, and plan to us it for the 6 mile commute to the University of Houston. so far no hastle from the fuzz, and everybody seems to think it's just plain hilarious. I'll let you know if I'm bothered.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yo, I just got my build working in Houston! I live at the corner of 288 and 610, and plan to us it for the 6 mile commute to the University of Houston. so far no hastle from the fuzz, and everybody seems to think it's just plain hilarious. I'll let you know if I'm bothered.
Thanks for the report. Sounds like it's the same as here. Unless you go out looking for trouble I doubt anyone will bother you for riding a MB..

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx
yea everyone seems to love mine so far
in one ride to the store and back i got a thumbs up and two cops passed me without complaint