Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

n35

Aug 3, 2011
Austin
How old do you have to be to get a moped driving permit or some other form of driving permit for a MB

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How old do you have to be to get a moped driving permit or some other form of driving permit for a MB
I think it's 15 years old for a moped, but gas powered motor bicycles aren't considered mopeds in Texas.

Texas has no recognition of gas powered motor bicycles. We ride in a gray area of the law. In almost all cases the police won't bother you if you're not breaking any laws, and following the laws for bicycles.

If you look real young though, expect to be hassled.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I was out riding the other night and I came upon this electric MB in the parking lot of a Walmart. It's the first MB I've come across at large in the Dallas area, in this case Carrollton. I waited around for over 30 min to see who would come out and ride it off, but they never showed. I'm thinking maybe he worked at the Walmart.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
thanks alot! im 16 and look a little o.der than that so ill think ill be alright :D
You should be ok then, especially in Austin. The police there should be used to seeing motor bicycles riding around.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I saw an electric assisted bike parked at the the Kingsland parknride in Katy yesterday. Never saw the rider. For a year, my China girl was the only power assisted bike at Kingsland.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I saw an electric assisted bike parked at the the Kingsland parknride in Katy yesterday. Never saw the rider. For a year, my China girl was the only power assisted bike at Kingsland.
Thanks for that report. Katy, that's near Houston isn't it?

Anybody else in Texas seen any motor bicycles lately?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Katy is about 30 miles west of downtown Houston. There are plenty of roads in the area with 35mph speed limits so that we can ride the motor bikes on them.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I ran across another motor bicycle at large today. Sorry for the crappy picture I took through my windshield. Another Ebike. Obviously the bike was a recumbent. It had a center hub motor, and was pulling a trailer. Probably had the batteries in the trailer. He was peddling the whole time, and doing about 20-25 mph riding down Arapaho in Addison.

This makes the second motor bicycle I've seen at large here in Dallas. Both in the last 3 weeks. It's only a matter of time till I see my first Gas powered MB.

Last edited:

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Here's the culmination of my tinkering as it stood a few days ago:

Since then I've installed front and rear lights, a bike computer, hand grips, a more comfy seat, and upgraded pedals.

So far my max speed is 38.0 mph, and the computer is specifically calibrated for my tire width.

Biggest innovation I have is a Black full-face motorcycle helmet with a lime-green mohawk. Everybody around seems to think its funny while I'm riding, which is significantly better than being surrounded by motorists who get pissed and want to run me over... which is the typical Houstonian response to a cyclist on the road.

I assembled the bike from the frame up specifically for the purpose of being motorized.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Very nice twelvestring. How many miles do you have on it? I kind of keep thinking about a jack shaft. How you like it? Any problems with the police down there? It's all good up here in Dallas.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
This thread is Awesome!!! I'm in Rosebud 35miles south of Wacko, no problem with cops here just this town is SOOO SMALLLL!!!! I can through all the streets in about 30 minutes and there's nothing around here, sooo yeah thats Rosebud. But on the bright side I'm able to ride without any one bothering me.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This thread is Awesome!!! I'm in Rosebud 35miles south of Wacko, no problem with cops here just this town is SOOO SMALLLL!!!! I can through all the streets in about 30 minutes and there's nothing around here, sooo yeah thats Rosebud. But on the bright side I'm able to ride without any one bothering me.
Have you seen any other MBs where you live? I know what you mean about running out of town. MBs really cover a lot of ground fast. I got enough city up here in Dallas to never run out. If I could I'd give you half of it. Motor bicycles do seem like more of a city thing to me.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Thanks if you could I'd take it, As far seeing other MBs there a number of them around Temple but I've never been able to make contact with one. The guy that runs the bike shop there is familliar with MBs cause a guy that worked for him built them and sold in the store but was soon told to stop doing it on the owners time. So thats all I can say about MBs around here.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks if you could I'd take it, As far seeing other MBs there a number of them around Temple but I've never been able to make contact with one. The guy that runs the bike shop there is familliar with MBs cause a guy that worked for him built them and sold in the store but was soon told to stop doing it on the owners time. So thats all I can say about MBs around here.
That's saying quite a lot, compared to around here. In all of Dallas I only know for sure of 7 MBs, two of those are ebikes.

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Very nice twelvestring. How many miles do you have on it? I kind of keep thinking about a jack shaft. How you like it? Any problems with the police down there? It's all good up here in Dallas.
I've got about 50 miles on her now, which is to say that my truck hasn't moved all week =P Super super reliable running.... I was worried that the project had run away with me and it wouldn't be worth it... but it definitely is!

Lovin the jackshaft! The main purpose for this bike was so that I can flip the motor on, ride to the university, kill the motor to pedal between classes, and flip it on again for the ride home. Already did a ride in the rain and it felt super solid. With a 9-speed cassette it seems to work out perfect that the lowest gear my feet want to pedal is also the highest gear that the motor likes to operate in, so I have an easy transition between the two!

No police problems whatsoever yet, on this bike or my previous 2-stroker rag-joint (although it broke something on nearly every ride... I had to pack a socket set on my person at all times)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The Cadillac started making bad noises the other night, and I had to park it till I figure out what's wrong.

In the mean time I'm riding the Atomic BB. It feels like a station wagon compared to the Cadillac, but guess what? That little fity goes just about as fast as the Cadillac. It feels a lot smoother too. No bottom end though, that's the biggest difference.

The Atomic BB really is a lot of fun to ride. I'm diggin on the big frame after riding the little tiny Cadillac. Maybe it needs a big motor. No need to worry about how fast it goes because it has this real powerful brake called a coaster.

Fastest Motor Bicycle in Farmers Branch. - YouTube

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today I'm planning to remove some of the parts off the cadillac and put them on the Atomic BB, like the shorty MM manifold. I'm stripping the Cadillac motor anyway.

I already made some changes. I put the Cadillac's rack mounted gas tank on it, so I can ride with the seat all the way down, and yesterday I installed new handle bars.