Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I've been using this for over a year now. It is my "safari" wagon.

I've got another axle laying around that used to be for my kayak so I'll probably take your design and step it up a notch. I'll have to see if the 44t can pull now that the engine is broken in...once I get my new ignition system.

Last edited:

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
It is but your bike has to be able to cruise at least at 30. People drive fast and in the mornings are perfectly willing to push you off the road. Got forced over a curb one morning because of it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It is but your bike has to be able to cruise at least at 30. People drive fast and in the mornings are perfectly willing to push you off the road. Got forced over a curb one morning because of it.
I know what you mean. Some jackass behind me, honked at me Saturday, and I don't think it was because he liked my bike.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Right now I'm having bike withdrawals. A connection in my magneto broke last week so the bike has been dead. I placed an order for parts yesterday, now I just have to wait.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I saw that on Youtube before. A rider had used a standard cargo rack, with a piece of PVC pipe bolted to it with j-hooks. An eye-bolt ran through the end, and a spring clasp tied to the boat hooked to that. A little 4x4 block strapped to the boat, and lawnmower wheels went on all-thread through the 4x4.

Here's one made from a piece of all thread, lawn tractor wheels, a pool noodle (foam), bungee cord, and coat hook on a piece of pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCGd6vF7qqo

Here's one made from a milk crate and some stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=IGSXOoHBpIk&NR=1

Just rig up an axle strap the kyak down to the axle and get a piece of PVC pipe connected out from your seat post to tie the front end to and walah! Kinda like my old cheap trailer build setups: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=11388

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Right now I'm having bike withdrawals. A connection in my magneto broke last week so the bike has been dead. I placed an order for parts yesterday, now I just have to wait.
I hear ya, I have been MB-less for about 3 weeks now? Found some hairline cracks in the Cranny, so took me a while to find a suitable replacement frame, then a week to strip the rust bucket frame down to the raw steel and get a front motor mount welded in, now waiting a week for the clear to cure. I should be good to mount the motor back up on Saturday, woohoo!

In the meantime, taking care of a bunch of little stuff. Going through my carb I found the float height was about 1mm off, so fixed that. My float needle did not seat perfectly, so lapped the needle against the seat using toothpaste and now it is nice and smooth. My exhaust had a little drip near one of the mounting bolts, found that the flange was not quite flush so I sanded it down flat.

Took the head and piston off and lapped the mating surfaces a little more, I was going to clean the transfer ports but they were already in pretty good shape, and I wanted to trim the piston skirt but the wrist pin would get stuck halfway out. Instead of forcing it (and I did not think to try my heat gun), I just buttoned everything back up and decided to leave well enough alone, lol.

Going to repack the bearings in the wheels and crank tonight and transfer the wheels, front fork, and crank over to the new frame. I really hope everything lines up, lol...

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPv3FBd6IkjdM3_Hedg5odUFRHEjSzCcSe5g6-xdIjcVjLcWDVYIIVFUi9

How do you pick up the cans? Are you diving, or using nets?
Aluminum might pay pretty good right now, and if there are that many cans, wow.

Here's my can crusher.
boot
First week in July I was taking my jon boat to the portion where I live thinking I was going to clean up the river. I have since pulled nearly 100 pounds of cans from 300 square feet of river bottom and literally wore out a can crusher and I'm only about halfway through.

I'm going to be needing a whole fleet of motorized bicycles pulling 6x10 trailers for the amount of traffic we get on the weekends. Tempting idea though.

Edit: No, I'm in San Marcos.

Last edited:

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
My original wheel set for my little 10 foot pelican was the back part of a tricycle with a wooden V built on top of it. It had forward pointing pieces of wood so that it press to the boat with a ratchet strap. The milk crate one impressed me. Those Prowler Ocean kayaks are pretty heavy.

I'm diving and using a net at the same time. I can easily get 50+ pounds a day but I have been previously limited to about 40 because of how long it takes to crush the cans. A 10 ft jon boat fills up quick if they aren't crushed. Normally, I can fill the front of the boat up in about 10 minutes. It then takes me an hour to crush all of them with the single can crushers I've been using. Cans are $.50/pound so it is turning out as a way to kill time rather than make money, which is sad, because there are a few hundred $s worth laying down there. I just built a condensed version of the "double barrel bicycle powered can crusher" on YouTube. I'll probably get a video when I finish it this afternoon. Took it for a test run yesterday it it worked, not great but those problems have already been addressed.

In other news, I finally got the bike running again. I rode it to a small bike shop because I need a new cable for the choke. It didn't go well. He started by saying, "You can't bring that in here but you can work on it outside." I said I understood, because of the fuel issue. He said it was because it wasn't a bicycle, I had given that up when I put the motor on it. He then proceeded to be as condescending as possible. Luckily he let me pick out which ratty, old, used shifter cable I wanted for free. Oh well, those tattoo covered twig people don't scare me, I've wrestled gar and catfish that were scarier, meaner, but just about as ugly.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In other news, I finally got the bike running again. I rode it to a small bike shop because I need a new cable for the choke. It didn't go well. He started by saying, "You can't bring that in here but you can work on it outside." I said I understood, because of the fuel issue. He said it was because it wasn't a bicycle, I had given that up when I put the motor on it. He then proceeded to be as condescending as possible. Luckily he let me pick out which ratty, old, used shifter cable I wanted for free. Oh well, those tattoo covered twig people don't scare me, I've wrestled gar and catfish that were scarier, meaner, but just about as ugly.
There's one bicycle shop near me that seems to have the same attitude. I have to resist the temptation to get nasty with the guy when I go in there, which isn't often.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Ya oughta post the bike shop's phone number. The one near Whiterock Lake is one of the worse. They had an attitude with me but still sold me whatever I asked for but I had to pull information outta them to get what I wanted. Funny the name is Richardson but located in Dallas.
Richardson Bike Mart
9040 Garland Road, Dallas, TX
(214) 321-0705

The shop up in Richardson is way cool! He said he pretty much trained most of the bike mechanics at the Whiterock shop...they learn the trade from him & then go to the snob shop. www.thebikeshoprichardson.com/ 2111 East Arapaho Road Richardson, TX 75081
(972) 480-8068

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The most professional bike shop I've been to is REI. They treat me pretty good there, and they all know I'm riding a motor bicycle.

The Bicycle Exchange in Carrollton is motor bicycle friendly.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
It was the university owned bike shop so no surprise. After making that post I got another negative comment about the bike. Apparently people with tattoos don't like it. LOL
Normally I leave out the part about it being motorized but since I rode up to the building with it being my means of transportation, I didn't have that option.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It was the university owned bike shop so no surprise. After making that post I got another negative comment about the bike. Apparently people with tattoos don't like it. LOL
Normally I leave out the part about it being motorized but since I rode up to the building with it being my means of transportation, I didn't have that option.
I don't think it's the tattoos. When I ride to Strokers everyone loves my bike, and they all have tattoos.

At the shop I don't like, the guy has nice tats. That's confusing to me. The guy looks cool, but he ain't.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That's just local "culture". lol. Richardson Bike Mart is the biggest, richest bicycle shop in Texas (the one in Richardson). The branch store at WRL is stuffy, but they do have a cool cyclocross racing group there. I only go there if I need something that day and I'm riding around the WRL or nearby. There are other shops in that area. (Switching Gears, mostly a "fixie" hipster bike shop, sells lots of tubes and small parts, usually pretty friendly. There is a brick shop with an awning right by it, no name on the store, grumpy old shop tech, but he is helpful. Performance Bike is ok, Dallas Bike Works is right by the lake, a little high priced but fairly helpful. Bicycles Plus is better, and often has great stuff in the bargain bin. Bicycles Plus
7015 Snider Plz #200, Dallas, TX
(214) 363-2025 ‎ · bicyclesplustx.com )

https://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C....2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=687

That kind of stuck up bike shop is why I work on my own bikes, even if I have to buy a tool to do it.

Ya oughta post the bike shop's phone number. The one near Whiterock Lake is one of the worse. They had an attitude with me but still sold me whatever I asked for but I had to pull information outta them to get what I wanted. Funny the name is Richardson but located in Dallas.
Richardson Bike Mart
9040 Garland Road, Dallas, TX
(214) 321-0705

The shop up in Richardson is way cool! He said he pretty much trained most of the bike mechanics at the Whiterock shop...they learn the trade from him & then go to the snob shop. www.thebikeshoprichardson.com/ 2111 East Arapaho Road Richardson, TX 75081
(972) 480-8068

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That's good to know. REI is ok. Bluebonnet Bicycles in Flower Mound is usually pretty friendly to "freds". I haven't been there in a cuople years, but they had lots of trade-in and pull-off parts and a range of bikes.

I really like Don Johles in Garland (www.djsbikeworld.com) They really don't want gas-bikes in the store, and it's pretty small, but they are very happy to look at your bike and sell you what you need. They also stock super-thick tubes!

The most professional bike shop I've been to is REI. They treat me pretty good there, and they all know I'm riding a motor bicycle.

The Bicycle Exchange in Carrollton is motor bicycle friendly.

SergeyTempest

May 7, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Surprisingly I take more heat from the the liberal, "save the world" types than I do anyone else.
The irony of that fact is hilarious, considering the vast majority of MBs exceed their Priuses (Prii?) in gas mileage.

I'm one of those "save the world" liberals, and that's why I like MBs, purely because of the better mileage.

I'm thinking the heat you're taking is probably more of the 'hipster' factor. If it ain't a motorless fixie painted with clashing colors, it's baaaaaad. :p