Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
The shock I was referring to would normally be used on a mountain bikes rear suspension. Picture a Monark springer fork with a shock instead of just springs.
The only danger there is the shock pivoting. Look into the back shocks on the walmart NEXT Avalon bike. It is designed to be bolted through the frame of the tail fork and then bolt like yours to the mid frame. I might borrow your idea since I have one laying around. Not much compression but it would be better from a handling standpoint.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
After I drew that last night I thought about the pivoting problem as well. Since both sides are hinged, that design wouldn't work. But I think I came up with a solution.
On the threaded side of the shock, run that through the top bracket and find a nut with the same thread pattern to mount it to instead of using the top hinge. That way you are solid mounting the body of the shock to the frame of the bike. Sound good?

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Well, I thought I had pretty close to a final design for what I was going to do for my front suspension, then I was cruising Ebay a few minutes ago and fount this awsome 1911 Sears Belt drive MotorBike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1182

Check out the front suspension on that that someone came up with over 100 years before me. lol I think I like that better than what I came up with. Seems simple enough, and takes care of the double pivot problem on the mountain bike shock.

P.S. if anyone wants to buy me this bike and save me the trouble of building my own suspension, I would like that very much! lol
And of course, I would ride it, not let it sit in static storage! What a waste.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sad but true, pretty much every single thing and I mean every thing we do and build has been around for 1 to 200 years including the bicycles. The earliest MB I have found was steam, belt driven and looks like a real steam punk build. 1869

Some of the old articles are fascinating and you can always find a thread on it here, lol.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Well, I wouldn't have felt bad if it had only been around for 1 year, it was the 100 that got me!
Any thought on my fork design Dan? This is my first MB, although I have been working with my hands in construction and mechanics for the last 20 years.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, know what ya mean about the being around that long. I like to tell my self that the radio was created independently on 2 continents at the same time. It doesn't help but I like to tell my self that.

I really think a lot has been lost. Ideas and such.

I have been staring at your link. It looks really cool! More importantly like it would work. Your drawing looks great too. Was thinking take the best of both worlds?

Really impressed your undertaking such an ambitious approach right out of the gate.

Is really fascinating reading the concepts and creations here.

Can't wait to see your forks and build.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hi there! Anyone from the valley in this thread?
Hi Rgvrider, welcome to the forum.

I don't remember anyone yet. You must be the first one. How about giving the rest of us a report about motor bicycling down there.

Mainly do you see any other MBs, and are the fuzz cool lol.

Rgvrider

Jun 29, 2012
Brownsville tx
Hi there biknut well I have only seen one guy in a chopper style bicycle but that was about 6 months ago, I sold my first build to a gentleman that fell in love with the mb when he saw it, it was a beach cruiser that I liked too but wanted to get a mountain bike style and I did and I love it I put a 49 cc engine and it runs nice. Police don't give no trouble here but I always try to respect lights and stops so I don't get any unwanted attention, mainly cause of a couple of fatalities involving bicycles. His city has some bike lanes but motorists sometimes use them , apart from that is really cool I love riding my bike to work and just to cruise around town I always get thumbs up and I few people asks me to build some for them but I don't really have the time, but maybe I will make some time to have a few riding buddies

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
The cops in San marcos were out in force Thursday. Saw tons of them. Didn't have any trouble. The ones that looked at me just stared and didn't wave back.

...all good over here.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The cops in San marcos were out in force Thursday. Saw tons of them. Didn't have any trouble. The ones that looked at me just stared and didn't wave back.

...all good over here.
Good to know. Thanks for the report. I think they don't wave back because they're so surprised and thinking what the H is that? lol.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday, I rode the atomic bb across town, and back. About 40 miles. It seemed like this ride was doomed. I got about 2 miles away, and my chain came off. I had to peddle back home, and cut a link off the chain. The adjuster was already all the way out. After a 2 hour delay I was off again. Seems like everywhere you go in Dallas right now there's construction going on. I wanted to go through Highland park, but ended up having to ride down Denton Rd past Love Field, and all the way down to Oaklawn. It started raining about that time, so I stopped at Lee Park to wait out a shower. I don't like ridding in the rain.

Most of the time I was in Dallas. I saw several Dallas police up close, but none of them were interested in me. One things for sure, they weren't checking my plate. I don't have one lol. The farthest I got from home was the west lake road at White Rock Lake. Probably 20 miles away.

I'm sad to have to report that the Bicycle Cafe is closed. There was a sign on the door that said the business was locked out because of not paying the rent. I was worried about them, because whenever I drove by there in my work truck, business looked pretty slow.

RIP

After that I started heading generally toward home. I did a drive by at SMU. It was about 6 pm by then, and I was about 8 miles from home. I decided to call the house and see if I was missing out on anything. Then I was reminded we're taking my son out to dinner for his birthday. Oops. Normally I don't ride big streets, but being Sunday traffic was light. I needed to cover the last 8 miles pretty fast so I blasted up Midway about 6 miles, all the way back to Farmer Branch. As I was riding along I looked over in the left lane to see a guy in his car taking pictures of me. He must have turned around because he passed me twice taking pictures or video both times. As he went by the second time, I heard him yell I want one, that's so cool.

Now I was close to home. As I rode past the Farmer Branch police department, there's a long downhill. The Atomic BB set an all time speed record, 38 mph. I was home in less than 30 minutes from the time I called.

What a fun day. The only thing that would be better is if I had someone to ride with. :(

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
That's a mighty cool build there what'd ya do make gas tanks out of fire extinguishers? I like the look of that front fork & smaller tire gives it a chopper look. One great thing about riding thru Highland Park the speed limit is 30mph perfect for MB! If you follow along Turtle Creek it is really scenic...Ya know that's where GWB plays golf.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's a mighty cool build there what'd ya do make gas tanks out of fire extinguishers? I like the look of that front fork & smaller tire gives it a chopper look. One great thing about riding thru Highland Park the speed limit is 30mph perfect for MB! If you follow along Turtle Creek it is really scenic...Ya know that's where GWB plays golf.

Hi George. Those are camp fuel bottles, held in place with a dual bottle rack found in many bicycle shops. Here's how I made it.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=27428

Rgvrider

Jun 29, 2012
Brownsville tx
That's a nice looking bike biknut! Well last thursday I was driving home from work and about half mile from my house I notice a Tahoe following me, then I turn into my street and the truck follows I go into the parking lot of my apts and so does the truck, by now I'm thinking is someone who likes the bike and is going to ask me where I got it. I was wrong I leaned my bike against the stairway (need to get a kickstand) and go to check my mailbox and the guy of the truck gets off and asks me where I'm coming from and where I'm from ! To this I was caught off guard and answered and then he asks the same thing and I snapped!! I asked who he was;he doesn't answer instead he answer the same questions that I already answer,by now I'm upset and I raised my voice and he lowers his and shows me a badge and tells me he is border patrol detective and tells me they had a report of activity in the area which just makes me laugh and ask him if smugglers are now using motorized bikes. To this he doesn't know what to answer and just ask if he can search my backpack and of course I said no and told him that if he would've been more polite I would've agreed. PS I think he followed me cause he was scared I might get away lol

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I haven't written in a couple of weeks because we bought a house and have been moving, so i wanted to jot down an update post. The last time I rode, I thought I was getting close to having all of my carb problems figured out, it wasn't 2 stroking as bad, and seemed to be going a little faster without bogging as much. Then my NT carb popped off. That was the problem I kept having with the CNS carb! Once it did it a second time, I though that was enough, so I took the intake off and drilled a hole though the carb collar and the intake and used a self tapping screw instead of the collar clamp to secure the carb to the intake. I put plenty of pooky on the intake, re-mounted it and waited till the next day to take it out again.
The next day I took it out, let it warm up and gave it the gas. I heard a POP again and though "there's no way that carb popped off again." I was right, it didn't. The intake manifold broke in TWO!???
The only thing I can figure that would give back pressure through the carb like that is that maybe the catalytic converter in the muffler is completely blocked.
I called SBP and spoke to them. They hadn't experienced that, and thought maybe I was right.
Anyone else ever experienced this? I am going to drill a hole through the cat and see if that corrects the problem, but first I have to get a new intake.
I will keep you posted. That all happened about a week and a half ago before I moved.:-||

On a lighter note, I got my secondary fork that I am going to use to make my monark style suspension! That project is on hold, but it is progress.

Also, yesterday in my new neighborhood, a teenager rode by on a bike with a china motor on it, so add 1 more to our ranks!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's a nice looking bike biknut! Well last thursday I was driving home from work and about half mile from my house I notice a Tahoe following me, then I turn into my street and the truck follows I go into the parking lot of my apts and so does the truck, by now I'm thinking is someone who likes the bike and is going to ask me where I got it. I was wrong I leaned my bike against the stairway (need to get a kickstand) and go to check my mailbox and the guy of the truck gets off and asks me where I'm coming from and where I'm from ! To this I was caught off guard and answered and then he asks the same thing and I snapped!! I asked who he was;he doesn't answer instead he answer the same questions that I already answer,by now I'm upset and I raised my voice and he lowers his and shows me a badge and tells me he is border patrol detective and tells me they had a report of activity in the area which just makes me laugh and ask him if smugglers are now using motorized bikes. To this he doesn't know what to answer and just ask if he can search my backpack and of course I said no and told him that if he would've been more polite I would've agreed. PS I think he followed me cause he was scared I might get away lol
Must have been a really slow night.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I haven't written in a couple of weeks because we bought a house and have been moving, so i wanted to jot down an update post. The last time I rode, I thought I was getting close to having all of my carb problems figured out, it wasn't 2 stroking as bad, and seemed to be going a little faster without bogging as much. Then my NT carb popped off. That was the problem I kept having with the CNS carb! Once it did it a second time, I though that was enough, so I took the intake off and drilled a hole though the carb collar and the intake and used a self tapping screw instead of the collar clamp to secure the carb to the intake. I put plenty of pooky on the intake, re-mounted it and waited till the next day to take it out again.
The next day I took it out, let it warm up and gave it the gas. I heard a POP again and though "there's no way that carb popped off again." I was right, it didn't. The intake manifold broke in TWO!???
The only thing I can figure that would give back pressure through the carb like that is that maybe the catalytic converter in the muffler is completely blocked.
I called SBP and spoke to them. They hadn't experienced that, and thought maybe I was right.
Anyone else ever experienced this? I am going to drill a hole through the cat and see if that corrects the problem, but first I have to get a new intake.
I will keep you posted. That all happened about a week and a half ago before I moved.:-||

On a lighter note, I got my secondary fork that I am going to use to make my monark style suspension! That project is on hold, but it is progress.

Also, yesterday in my new neighborhood, a teenager rode by on a bike with a china motor on it, so add 1 more to our ranks!
Sorry about your bike trouble, but that's cool to see another MB in your neighborhood.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I can come out on a Sunday some time and ride. Maybe you can start a FB event and you are more popular so yours will probably work. That stinks that the bike cafe is closed. I hope they get some $ and re-open it. I haven't gotten to try it yet.

Yesterday, I rode the atomic bb across town, and back. About 40 miles. It seemed like this ride was doomed. I got about 2 miles away, and my chain came off. I had to peddle back home, and cut a link off the chain. The adjuster was already all the way out. After a 2 hour delay I was off again. Seems like everywhere you go in Dallas right now there's construction going on. I wanted to go through Highland park, but ended up having to ride down Denton Rd past Love Field, and all the way down to Oaklawn. It started raining about that time, so I stopped at Lee Park to wait out a shower. I don't like ridding in the rain.

Most of the time I was in Dallas. I saw several Dallas police up close, but none of them were interested in me. One things for sure, they weren't checking my plate. I don't have one lol. The farthest I got from home was the west lake road at White Rock Lake. Probably 20 miles away.

I'm sad to have to report that the Bicycle Cafe is closed. There was a sign on the door that said the business was locked out because of not paying the rent. I was worried about them, because whenever I drove by there in my work truck, business looked pretty slow.

RIP

After that I started heading generally toward home. I did a drive by at SMU. It was about 6 pm by then, and I was about 8 miles from home. I decided to call the house and see if I was missing out on anything. Then I was reminded we're taking my son out to dinner for his birthday. Oops. Normally I don't ride big streets, but being Sunday traffic was light. I needed to cover the last 8 miles pretty fast so I blasted up Midway about 6 miles, all the way back to Farmer Branch. As I was riding along I looked over in the left lane to see a guy in his car taking pictures of me. He must have turned around because he passed me twice taking pictures or video both times. As he went by the second time, I heard him yell I want one, that's so cool.

Now I was close to home. As I rode past the Farmer Branch police department, there's a long downhill. The Atomic BB set an all time speed record, 38 mph. I was home in less than 30 minutes from the time I called.

What a fun day. The only thing that would be better is if I had someone to ride with. :(