Tanaka PF-3300 on Amazon for $89.00 (New)

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
LOL me (40cc Tanaka) and my father (32cc Tanaka) have been running Opti 100:1 for the last 8 months with zero issue. Ive also been running 100:1 in my Morini S6S. I have faith in this product, tell your buddy he has nothing to fear.
I'm running 50:1 on my Tanaka 47R, as recommended by the manufacturer. When my quart of oil runs out, I'll use my 4-liter jug of Opti-2 @ 100:1. The jug should last me 4 years 7 months and 2 weeks.dance1

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I'm running 50:1 on my Tanaka 47R, as recommended by the manufacturer. When my quart of oil runs out, I'll use my 4-liter jug of Opti-2 @ 100:1. The jug should last me 4 years 7 months and 2 weeks.dance1
Haha I go through Opti very slow, I keep a little 10ml glass jar that I got from the container store in case Im out and about and need to fill up at the pump.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
My buddy has nothing to fear. He makes a living fixing engines that people have burned up. He's not riding around on them, he's busy taking them apart and ridding them of nasty noise.
Tell you buddy I said hes pouring oil down the drain at those ratios. Sounds like job security to me.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Haha I go through Opti very slow, I keep a little 10ml glass jar that I got from the container store in case Im out and about and need to fill up at the pump.
Yeah, I'm gonna get me an accurate syringe and measure precisely 71cc into my fillup, lol.

FWIW, I keep 2oz in my 18oz reserve bottle in its cage. I pour that into my empty tank and fill up at the pump. Now, I'll pour less Opti-2 into the mix!dance1

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Bought one when first advertised...

Runs perfectly and purrs like a ( very loud ) kitten!

Anyone have any thoughts on making her a little quieter??? Neighbors already hate me

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Bought one when first advertised...

Runs perfectly and purrs like a ( very loud ) kitten!

Anyone have any thoughts on making her a little quieter??? Neighbors already hate me
Yes, IMO that's an issue with the small 2 strokes, or actually two issues, exhaust and intake.
I have tried many things but with less than satisfactory results thus far. A power pipe with silencer does help but there's still a lot of noise, upwards of 85 dBs on a meter, and they are expensive, more than you paid for the engine.
I've stifled down the exhaust note with can mufflers to the point of affecting performance. Then, when you get the exhaust quiet enough you realize half the scream comes from the intake side.

Frankly, a half baked solution that's cheap and helps to knock down some of the noise is adding 12" or so of hose with a worn clamp to the existing exhaust nipple. I was using silicon but found common, black, heater hose at the hardware holds up pretty well. When the end gets fried just nip off a 1/2" and re-attach. It helps at idle and low rpms, so maybe it'd help a little till you get past those neighbors but doesn't do much at higher speeds.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Yes, IMO that's an issue with the small 2 strokes, or actually two issues, exhaust and intake.
I have tried many things but with less than satisfactory results thus far. A power pipe with silencer does help but there's still a lot of noise, upwards of 85 dBs on a meter, and they are expensive, more than you paid for the engine.
I've stifled down the exhaust note with can mufflers to the point of affecting performance. Then, when you get the exhaust quiet enough you realize half the scream comes from the intake side.

Frankly, a half baked solution that's cheap and helps to knock down some of the noise is adding 12" or so of hose with a worn clamp to the existing exhaust nipple. I was using silicon but found common, black, heater hose at the hardware holds up pretty well. When the end gets fried just nip off a 1/2" and re-attach. It helps at idle and low rpms, so maybe it'd help a little till you get past those neighbors but doesn't do much at higher speeds.
What a good idea... I'll have to give this a try. Thanks brnot

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA

Actually already using the 12" hose trick on her...

It gets rid of most of the ping and weed whacker noise... but it is still pretty loud!!!

I have to say this is the loudest 2 stroke engine I have heard in person myself.... I had a thought of trying to retrofit a happytime exhaust on to her somehow... but that may hurt the power she has

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Actually already using the 12" hose trick on her...

It gets rid of most of the ping and weed whacker noise... but it is still pretty loud!!!

I have to say this is the loudest 2 stroke engine I have heard in person myself.... I had a thought of trying to retrofit a happytime exhaust on to her somehow... but that may hurt the power she has
I retrofitted 3 feet of silicon hose and an SBP Happy Time pipe onto a 4.5hp 460 engine and a 2.8hp Tanaka 47R engine. It really quieted down BOTH engines, AND added power.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Yeah, thanks! I was afraid it would be bad for the motor or not work. I will try it too. The engine noise is not so bad, to me, but the clutch ringing is pretty noisy on my Dax kit. I am hoping when the bike gets more use, the springs will relax a little and it will work better.

I have 2 of them and was happy with the purchase. The website said they had a warranty, but I didn't get anything but a motor in a box with some plastic bubbles for my kid to jump on. If the seller is still giving them away for $89, buy one. (Essex Technologies).

What a good idea... I'll have to give this a try. Thanks brnot

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Yeah, thanks! I was afraid it would be bad for the motor or not work. I will try it too. The engine noise is not so bad, to me, but the clutch ringing is pretty noisy on my Dax kit. I am hoping when the bike gets more use, the springs will relax a little and it will work better.

I have 2 of them and was happy with the purchase. The website said they had a warranty, but I didn't get anything but a motor in a box with some plastic bubbles for my kid to jump on. If the seller is still giving them away for $89, buy one. (Essex Technologies).
Oh I bought 3 of them back in December not counting the one I already put on a beach cruiser for my dad. usflg

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The amazon listing says they're gone.

Stock muffler replacement $50 (WHAT? What's so special about their muffler that it's $50. hahaa. I'd try to find out if a substitute exists, maybe mower shops will know.)

Muffler, 33cc [5982632033] - $49.99 : BladeZ Scooters, The ONLY Source for ORIGINAL Scooters and Replacememnt Equipment

Tanaka Power Pack carb, tuned pipe, gaskets, filter, $190
33cc, 35cc, & 40cc BladeZ Performance Pack by Tanaka

Power Pipe muffler $89 33cc Tanaka Power Pipe|Monster Scooter Parts

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Yeah, I'm sure it actually does have some EPA doodoo in there. I hate cat converters on cars! They make the worst chemical smell, and when they plug up eventually they eat the car's mileage and power till an expensive repair is made.

Oh well, I looked at a couple of major mower suppliers and the replacement OEM can is about $35-50.

This can really is pretty quiet, but do you know if any generic can mufflers fit?
The Tanaka mufflers are special. They contain Cataylist.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I just mounted the Tanaka Pf 3300 I bought off Amazon to see how it would run.
I removed a pocket bike stage 2 engine for comparison.
The Tanaka is very quiet, starts on the 1st pull & feels very refined.
It only makes around 1.6 hp & the pb engine I removed has close to 4 hp.
The little Tanaka doesnt have the get up & go of the PB engine or the high revving top end. To compare apples to apples, I also have a Subaru Robin EH035 4 stroke & the Tanaka is more comparable to it than the PB engine. The Robin feels stronger but the Tanaka hasn't been broken in yet & I'm sure with a nice power pipe, it would make a decent reliable work horse. Gotta love them Japanese engines.
-Lowracer-

Last edited: