Sturmey Archer internal hub help

GoldenMotor.com

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
Hi, I have a Sturmey Archer XL RD5(w) internal five speed hub. In general it works pretty well, however recently I've noticed when I'm testing my motorized bike by pedaling only (this happens under motor power too.) under slight load (up a mild hill) in first and second gear only that the hub will disengage, my pedals will spin for 1/2 to 3/4 turn, then the hub will engage again.

To shift I stop pedaling, switch gears, then lightly start pedaling again (on a flat road) then I will pedal a few rotations until I get to my slightly inclined driveway, then the disengagement happens.

I've adjusted the cable tension back and forth the full range from when first gear doesn't engage at all on one end of the adjustment (too tight) to where it fully engages, then doesn't engage because the cable is too loose. I know where the sweet spot is for excellent shifting action on all five gears, but no matter how I adjust it 1/4 turn at a time I still get the disengagement, freewheeling, then engagement again.

I have about 300 miles on this new hub.

Can anybody offer suggestions?

My local Sturmey Archer dealer noticed the cog-side wheel bearing was a little loose, so he tightened that, but I haven't yet remounted the wheel to test.

Thanks.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
old motorcycles used to use selectors that were probably similar (burman, enfield, and 4 cyl indians were some)

throwing out of gear was common when the shift rod was a bit off alignment, or when the detent spring was adjusted to loosely

I'd expect these to be similar, so a loose bearing might cause that.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The hub comes with 2 different mounting nut packages and a new sckool and old school selected guide. Do not mix..use one or the other. Then put iit n 2nd gear..next adjust indicator so yellow is barely seen through guide hole.

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
Thanks for the tips everybody, I'll put the wheel back on tomorrow and hopefully it'll be working the way it should.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure how much force is applied on bikes, but on 'cycles leaving it unadjusted for a short time can deform the seats such that throwing out of gear can become permanent without major repair work

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
I put everything back together and no luck, still issues with mostly second gear. I'm pursuing options now about getting another hub, I'm done fooling with this one. I probably trashed it during the testing phase of building the bike.

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
Update: I replaced the hub with another new SA and all is working well now. I also replaced the original 13 gauge spokes with thicker 12 gauge since the original spokes stretched quite a bit. Hopefully this setup will last!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Update: I replaced the hub with another new SA and all is working well now. I also replaced the original 13 gauge spokes with thicker 12 gauge since the original spokes stretched quite a bit. Hopefully this setup will last!
I don't have a shifter bike and I'm not knowledgeable about the inner workings of the multi speed hubs, but I just wanted to say congrats on getting your bike fixed and rolling again.

xct2

Map