Strangely different. Slower please. Not faster. Smoother. Reliable

GoldenMotor.com

Jack Skip

Dec 26, 2016
Abaco Bahamas
Not looking to push a pedal bike and overweight older gent at 45mph on bumpy roads with poor brakes using a ball numbing vibrator for power. Yes. I am different. Have quenched my speed desires in my younger years. Not this quest. Not looking for highest rpm.

I live in a resort area with about 6 resort communities (golf carts and bicycles). Looking to see if I can generate interest in motorized bikes as transport/fun option. Maybe rentals. Looking for setup to be user friendly, smooth, vibration free (lmao), reasonably reliable. 25mph range. Able to climb moderate hills. Various pilots. Lower end of price scale, not bottom.

Looking at the Jake’s Perfect Bike with their engine kit. Comes with clam shell sprocket. Thinking 46 tooth.

http://shop.jakebike.com/Absolutely-Badass-DIY-Jakebike-Kit-333.htm

Don’t like the peanut gas tanks, but liking this tank
http://shop.jakebike.com/Rear-Rack-Gas-Tank-63.htm

I have been lurking around a bit and like:

Longer rubber hose intake. Low and mid torque. No foamy fuel.

Reed kit, again low and mid range torque

Gut muffler and add three 1/4” holes (Gubba)

Drill 0.040” hole, engine side above float. Notch slide (Egor)

Lighten the wrist pin, drilling to 7.5mm hole on lathe

Clean up ports and transfers

Bottom of intake, top of exhaust ports

Balance the wheels

Add front and back brakes

Maybe smoother tires

Are there other things to help reduce vibrations? Am I missing anything?

Love the forum and the info shared. Loads of help.

Last edited by a moderator:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well looks like you have put some thought to this.

Looks like good quality stuff.

As you seem to know CGs are pretty viby. Of the three I have the Grubees are the smoothest. I have both a 66cc and a 48cc. The Flying Horse 66cc is the least smooth. I was able to much improve the FH by raising the ratio to get it down the road at a decent speed while keeping the revs down.

Reeds need piston mods to work correctly. I doubt you will have many friends/customers with a holed/gutted muffler. Cleaning up the ports is a good idea, but leave them basically stock for better torque.

In a way you are kina contradictive with the mods vs slower riding/reliability.

Finding a good stock CG(hehe) that is usable right out of the box makes good sense to me. Less fuss if you are really thinking rental. One fails bolt another on in a few minutes. Reliability is the biggest goal if bikes are in the hands of Joe Public. Fast is cool when its yours personally.

I have found in general MB bike riding for leisure is best enjoyed in the 20/25mph range. Slow enough to look at stuff still fast enough to get some where.

Sad(or good) thing is you can buy a GY6 49cc scooter for about the same money as a good MB build that is much more civilized.
Not trying to be negative, just my thoughts.

Wish you luck with your venture!

Jack Skip

Dec 26, 2016
Abaco Bahamas
Thank you Cannonball2 for your response.

Nix reeds and nix changing ports. Just a clean up. Got it.

Do you have any neighbor friendly muffler ideas for decent torque? Or just leave stock?

The upper end lightening I was thinking for reducing vibrations. Also thinking about a 48cc for this reason, thinking they have a better balance stock. Suggestions most welcome. Total noob here.

Also, for a 20 to 25mph setup what should I be looking for?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I agree on the 48cc. Don't know about rules where you are but 48s are usually legal just about any where. They are generally smoother. Not always cheaper strangely, though I recently saw a kit on ebay for just over a hundred bucks.

You can cut the tube inside the stock muffler even with the top of the bottom cap for a bit of pep with out a big increase in noise.

Id really strive to run an out of the box engine to keep fussing around to a minimum. The more docile and user friendly the better. You need to be able to have an MB that a total mechanical klutz can get on and ride. This is assuming you go public. Maybe auto clutch with a pull start?
The common CG kit is set for a 20/25 cruise as is.

If you are running with the golf cart crowd(we have em here on the islands) it needs to be pretty cool looking, reliable(nobody wants to walk/push) and fairly quiet.

A better choice might be an Ebike. I have em both.

Thought about a 4stroke kit?

Jack Skip

Dec 26, 2016
Abaco Bahamas
Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Not fond of the 4 stroke style, or lack of it. Even with better reliability, no oil mixing, etc. I like the 2 stroke looks.

I really like the sportsman type frames. Fab a gas tank. Tan tires. Paint job. Some leather work. That would be attractive. Anyone else make that style frame?

Leaning a bit more to the 48cc. Just a bit concerned about hills.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Looks over reliability? Dang! OKAY
You can't trust HT engines unless you put a lot of time and money into each engine. Customers (you mentioned renting) won't know how to treat them well, or may know, but not follow. These things rev past their optimal limit, and that will cause problems. It may be from a company that has re-built a Chinese engine, but I'm part of the "I don't trust anything China kit stuff" club

Last edited:

Jack Skip

Dec 26, 2016
Abaco Bahamas
Nix renting then. I can see the troubles going that way. Even if you govern them down or limit the throttle. Hours and hours of repairs.

Maybe sales. Two levels. Basic and sportsman style.

Worksman, ooops

Last edited: