Stihi Carb

GoldenMotor.com

FrankyLynn

Feb 10, 2020
Hi, Cannonball 2. Sorry to be so late coming to the party, but I just joined yesterday. I was searching the 'net to find ''the best carburetor for 66cc 2-stroke engines", and found your post. I like what you say about using the Stihl carburetor. I plan to get a couple from Amazon, based on your recommendation. I was also excited to see that you are using a 3 speed Sturmey Archer IGH as a transmission. I have one on a Schwinn that I bought from Walmart about 11 years ago, and am planning to use it as a transmission on a highly modified shopping cart I am building. I wasn't aware of the "fixie" being able to be left side driven. Neat! But I plan to use what I have, so a jack shaft is the way I will go. I would like to ask how you "hollowed-out" the 'geared' sprocket to get it to fit evenly over the body of the hub so that it can snuggle up against the spoke flange?

I like the way you think. Thanks ahead of time for your help. FrankyLynn

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Search Cannonballs abbynormal 3speed build. All the info is there. As I remember the sprocket on the hub itself is from a 7sp SA hub just fit with a bit of drilling. The hub on the 7sp was much larger and turned out being just right to fit the 3sp got lucky!

FrankyLynn

Feb 10, 2020
Thanks for the tip. It just occurred to me that a chain ring from a 21 speed derailleur might be a good way to go. Easier to find. Have a good one!

KCRickSS

Jan 21, 2017
USA
Thanks for sharing! You inspired me to copy your design pretty closely and it is working well after the first day.

I love the quick tuning, I just need to figure out my mid range bog and it will scream. But the top end is pretty great so I think it is close.

I will never install anything else after doing this setup!

Thanks!

KCRickSS

Jan 21, 2017
USA
FWIW, I discovered my bogging was from running without the lid on my "airbox", which just happens to be an ancient tin of pellets I had sitting around. :)

Running like a champ today!