Standard Chain Morini

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
While Im waiting for my Italian Stallion (S6S) to get here, was just wondering if I am still able to use my standard chain? Ive had great luck with the standard chains but I did manage to snap a 415 series on a test ride at OB Cycles. Not only that but the standard chain seems to clear the fatter tires that are increasingly prevalent on the latest models of cruisers.

Terry from BlowByU has been nice enough to send me a pair of his HD wheels to go along with my upgrades, and has been a pleasure to work with. Now if I could just find a bolt in 70 tooth sprocket, in stock.

Thanks Cory

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Man I hear you hate them crickets lol. Nobody else has chimed in I offer what I know. I will be using KMC brand 415 chain chain my self. There is another brand out called http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/D-I-D-RACING-415-GOLD-CHAIN-200DPI.jpg that a member Nidyanazo uses. Both are far better chains than the kit supplied chain with a china IMHO. The cheap china chain will work I would keep an eye on it.

As far as your 70 tooth I am, not familiar with your hub. This guy will make a sprocket for anything. King Sales and Service

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The pitch is the same 1/2". The roller diameter is the same 5/16". The side plates are slightly thinner, but the outside width of the chain is the same as 415.

Got from here:

Substitute for 415 chain- #41 - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

#415 chain is what comes with almost all 2 cycle kits but a lot of people upgrade to #41 chain, it's the same pitch just a little wider.

Got from here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f48/question-about-drive-chain-pitch-24162.html

From what I gather the Morini's sprocket will mesh just fine with a 415 chain my last one did peachy.

The 415 chain may proof to be a smoother feel for rattle and noise. I have not ever used the 41 my self.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
So just to be clear, the the standard chain that comes on all bicycles is what? The #41 right. In the above link that was posted is that gentlemen running a #41 with a Morini. It looks like the tensile strength is higher on the #41 to boot.

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Cory,
Not going to tell you what to use but my S6s is a #41 sprocket and that is what the pitch listing on the engine specs is.
yodabob

Street legal in PA
YouTube - Motorized bike street legal in PA 2
Ok so I didnt think I was crazy when I tried this before and there is definitely something up with this 9.4 Morini sprocket I took measurements to make sure I wasnt crazy, not sure what to do from here Since I just paid $70 for this 60 tooth rear sprocket (which the 41 fits just fine). ????

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
The pitch is the same 1/2". The roller diameter is the same 5/16". The side plates are slightly thinner, but the outside width of the chain is the same as 415.

Got from here:

Substitute for 415 chain- #41 - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

#415 chain is what comes with almost all 2 cycle kits but a lot of people upgrade to #41 chain, it's the same pitch just a little wider.

Got from here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f48/question-about-drive-chain-pitch-24162.html

From what I gather the Morini's sprocket will mesh just fine with a 415 chain my last one did peachy.

The 415 chain may proof to be a smoother feel for rattle and noise. I have not ever used the 41 my self.

Ok so here is a measurement from tip to tip on the Morini sprocket.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Ok and here is the point to point spacing measurement of the rear sprocket which the chain fits fine. Note this is my second brand new 41 chain with the same exact issue, so I know its not the chain.

What I need to know is if there is a chain I can make this work with?

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Anybody got any ideas, I dont want to start fabbing up an exhaust until I know that my chain alignment is good. The only other issue Im having is that my rear drum brake gets smashed against the frame since the new HD wheels are a bit wide. Should I just bend the frame out a bit?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Cory,
Not going to tell you what to use but my S6s is a #41 sprocket and that is what the pitch listing on the engine specs is.
yodabob

Street legal in PA
YouTube - Motorized bike street legal in PA 2
Guess it might of helped if Yoda said what brand he currently used? Are you sure you have a #41 chain?

Every where I have read on the forum folks had been swapping swapping out the cheap 415 kit chains on their china's with no problem.
415 is #41.
I found some chain charts that should help?

These charts show the roller pitch dimensional..

Notes on Sprockets and Chains

Useful Tips, motorcycle chain size fitment chart, chain selector

Google

Google

Ok so here is a measurement from tip to tip on the Morini sprocket.

Ok and here is the point to point spacing measurement of the rear sprocket which the chain fits fine. Note this is my second brand new 41 chain with the same exact issue, so I know its not the chain.

What I need to know is if there is a chain I can make this work with?

Mebbe somebody else besides me that has has actually used a #41 will chime in? All I ever used was a #415 so far.. I am definitely considering a heavier duty chain. My KMC #415 has slacked out once but has held up to my 9.4 hp nicely so far at over 1000 miles miles with my BoXXer. My motor got more power at 1000 miles too. [break in]

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Guess it might of helped if Yoda said what brand he currently used? Are you sure you have a #41 chain?

Every where I have read on the forum folks had been swapping swapping out the cheap 415 kit chains on their china's with no problem.

I found some chain charts that should help?

These charts show the roller pitch dimensional..

Notes on Sprockets and Chains

Useful Tips, motorcycle chain size fitment chart, chain selector

Google

Google

Mebbe somebody else besides me that has has actually used a #41 will chime in? All I ever used was a #415 so far.. I am definitely considering a heavier duty chain. My KMC #415 has slacked out once but has held up to my 9.4 hp nicely so far at over 1000 miles miles with my BoXXer. My motor got more power at 1000 miles too. [break in]

So GoatHerder, you have that same sprocket on your Morini and the spacing is correct for a #415 KMC?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
So GoatHerder, you have that same sprocket on your Morini and the spacing is correct for a #415 KMC?

I have used both the 10 tooth and the 11 tooth engine sprockets with success...
The stock sprocket is a 10 tooth I switched to a 11 tooth to suit my gearing and clear the pivot point on my BoXXer. I am a big tall guy.

It has always worked perfectly..

All the chains are KMC, the drive chain is KMC 415

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
maybe the sprocket was for a quad. since pulling two atv tires puts more strain on the chain it could be a 420 or 428 sprocket. so a change to a motorcycle sprocket is in order. this is just a guess so good luck! dennis

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
maybe the sprocket was for a quad. since pulling two atv tires puts more strain on the chain it could be a 420 or 428 sprocket. so a change to a motorcycle sprocket is in order. this is just a guess so good luck! dennis
I was thinking 420 chain, too. I have a length of 420. Are there sprockets with the right teeth and bolt up for a hub adapter set-up? Probably be about $150 for the hub and sprocket in the tooth count I need....I hope :p

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My 10 tooth sprocket has a part # of FM 232608 same as ''identical'' the OP's..
The chain he has pictured here with it not matching up to the engine sprocket clearly is not 1/2 '' roller pitch.......:rolleyes:.