Sprocket won't fit on Schwinn Cruiser???

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I was trying to mount the sprocket on my Schwinn cruiser (coaster break) bike, and lo and behold the hole in the sprocket is just slightly too small to fit over coaster break mechanism. Is this a common problem? or did I just get an out of spec sprocket?

Maybe I am not mounting it correctly, do I have to remove the coaster break hub install the sprocket and then re-install coaster hub??? Does anyone have a pic of the proper procedure.. ?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Welcome to motorized building 101- Don't nothin' fit. This is a fairly common problem it seems, just take the sharpest thing you got and hog it out a little. You might have to bend the lever on the coaster brake a little also. Norman just posted all you need to know about "hanging" a sprocket on the rear wheel. His post is "44 to 36 tooth sprocket swap" located in General Discussion. Take your time and do it right the first time and don't be afraid to ask if you don't know! Happy Trails Walter F.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
If I were you...and I was, I would remove the arm and the dust cover to see if it fits over the hub. I see people recommending it, but I think enlarging the hub is the last resort because if you are just a little off, the sprocket will not center. Usually, the dust over rim will need to be ground down. I have done 2 coaster brake hubs this way- no enlarging of the hole necessary. I'm not saying it will never be needed, just that you should try this first.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks for all the great info, I did use a dremel with a steel cutting tool to ream the hole slightly. I then placed it over the dust cover and used a cable tie tied to a spoke to check for "trueness" all the teeth were about equidistant from the tie so I figure it's "square" in the center.. If I had seen some of this info earlier I would have removed the cover and went from there... thanks to all I'll report on the results when I get this one built....

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
On some coaster brake wheels, the sprocket fits with no problem... some I had to bend the arm & others I had to remove the dust cover.
I have NEVER yet had the dremel the hole bigger!

raptor50

Sep 1, 2008
hi nomad
i,m new here so bear with me. hi to everyone.to your problem about the sproket on you cruiser.i have built three schwinn cruisers.if i was you i would go with a new rim with a free wheel hub you can get a good one for around 35 bucks tap in a grease fitting and your problem is taken care of.the sprocket fits tight over a free wheel hub.as for a coaster brake hub. i have never gotten no more than 50 to 60 miles out of them.i have around 600 miles so far on my free wheel hub. for 24 bucks you can get a hub with sealed roller bearing in it and not have to put a grease fitting in it.hope this helps .ride safe and watch for cars

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
hi nomad
i,m new here so bear with me. hi to everyone.to your problem about the sproket on you cruiser.i have built three schwinn cruisers.if i was you i would go with a new rim with a free wheel hub you can get a good one for around 35 bucks tap in a grease fitting and your problem is taken care of.the sprocket fits tight over a free wheel hub.as for a coaster brake hub. i have never gotten no more than 50 to 60 miles out of them.i have around 600 miles so far on my free wheel hub. for 24 bucks you can get a hub with sealed roller bearing in it and not have to put a grease fitting in it.hope this helps .ride safe and watch for cars
Raptor50, thanks for the info. Could you elaborate on the freewheel hub. How does it stop, do I need to install hand brakes?.. etc. this idea sounds interesting but I don't understand how it works... I googled it but couldn't understand how breaking is accomplished.... :)

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
Hey all, here is a good place to start on parts when moving to correct materials and the high tech adventure of adding an engine to a bicycle.
Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts, Go Kart Parts, Mini Bike Part, Lawn Mower Parts, Chainsaw Part and Small Engine Parts
This is a go-kart and mini-bike supply shop. Well worth the time to visit and do it up right. :cool:
Here is a break down list of parts for a mini bike set up. It has all the parts and pieces to correctly set up a drive line.
Mini-Bike (List of Parts)
This next one is a break down list for a go kart build, which should have a great display on how to set up your trike drive and braking system.
Go-Kart (List of Parts)
Good luck and I do hope this will get you in the right direction.

Maximo

Last edited: