how do i fix it?
it still runs, but i dont want to be stranded
i dont know how to take it apart or anything; that where i need the direction
pics would be great

-thanks

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Inside the "box" there is what could be called a screw. Just wind your wire onto it and you will feel it go down as it screws into place. It really is as easy as it sounds.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Like Toytime said above the coil wire basically screws onto a post inside the CDI. I would cut the end of your wire and rescrew it in. Simple fix...

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Re: Spark plug wire and boot.

My cable works fine but its core is black, i assume its graphite or something, would a copper core be better/worse?

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state

first thing that happened with my very first build is this.

I was holding the engine in the frame trying to decide on the best position for mounting it . Well it seemed to sit in the frame fine so i kinda let go of it to reach for my beer and a second later the dang thing flopped out and hit directly on top of the plug wire I had in the plug and pulled the wire out of the cdi also. I thought I was screwed. So i just removed the entire boot and screwed it back into the CDI and used an old wing nut and wrapped the wire around the head of the spark plug. Still works to this day, no fancy boot or wires for my cheap ride :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

One thing that wasn't mentioned here is when looking for high performance plug wire you want a metal, preferably copper conductor. Most spark plug wire offered by the leading auto parts dealers today is resistance wire (TVRS). It has no metal conductor but instead has a carbon impregnated core, often a cotton or nylon thread. The resistance wire was designed to eliminate radio interference and has high resistance and therefore not the best option for small, low voltage ignition systems like ours. Hot rod shops or those catering to the race car folks, even lawn mower shops will have copper conductor wire and most will sell by the foot. Just something to keep in mind. If you have doubts about this and have access to an ohm meter, run a resistance check on a foot of copper core wire and a foot of resistance wire. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Tom

wrenchworks

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, Az

Thanks for this thread guys. My spark plug cap came apart and I'm fightin with zone8 for a replacement. It seems I should just replace the darn thing myself.

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)

I Would. "i" Haven't Heard Good Things About Zone 8.
Copper... I'm Sure Is The Best. I Had Gotten One Of A Lawnmower, But It Wasn't Long Enough.my Next Option Was The Regular Spark Plug Wire... Which Has Been Working For Me, But I Should Go Get A Plug Wire With A Copper Core.
Good Lookin Out 2door.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan

I know copper cores are rated pretty high but what are those (what are they?) Magnecore?? The ones that sick bike parts sells.

I got one and talk about my engine firing right up!!! It used to take 6-9 pulls on the pull starter but now it's only three and that's when it's cold out!

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)

the plug and wire has a simple copper core instead of all the mesh and insulation, seeing we don't have computers to be interfered with on our bikes...well at least yet. but yea copper,gold and platinum are good conductors fo shizo

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California

So is the inside of the magnecore wire just a black substance (carbon?) that puts out a powder when touched?

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Need a Spark Plug Wire. Any Recommendations?

I want to switch over my spark plug wire from the stock to another with better conduction, etc.... Do you guys have any recommendations (Model #'s)? I will probally be running a speedo. The Sparkplug I have now is NGK b6hs.