spark plug wire info

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Looks like it'll work fine. I see that you've picked the correct 7mm size ---- I don't think that an 8mm diameter would've worked on my CDI.

Good luck!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I prefer zero resistance wire, boot, & plug, but if that works OK for you, no reason not to use it.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
where do you get the resistance wire from? Does the resistance wire help with speedometer?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Using a suppressor core wire can possibly harm your magneto coil. China girl magneto's are easily damaged, because the windings are very small gauge, and can't handle much current. Things like suppressor wire, suppressor caps, and wide spark plug gaps increase current demand.

If you keep your plug gap 0.025" and keep your rpm down you probably won't have a problem, but a solid core copper, or steel wire with a non suppressor cap is best. Yes these type of wires have a lot of RF.

A good wire to help with RF that keeps resistance low is magnecor wire. Magnecor wire is specially made spiral wrap, solid core wire that is very anti RF but low resistance. You can buy them from SBP, or Magnecor direct.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=39&osCsid=eqqan70lmfandputn5shir79t7

Last edited:

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well when I bought the wire. I used it on 2 bikes, If I remembered right I thought it was a good wire for RF resistance like for speedos. It's been a while I forget that I researched back then. So thanks for all your inputs.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
That's the exact wire I bought for my bike. When cut in half, I notice a slightly different resistance reading between the two ends. I notice one cap is black and the other is brown. I don't have the readings off hand though.
I've also read conflicting opinions on suppression vs. non-suppression wires and plugs. I finally settled on a suppression wire and non-suppression (resistor) plug.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
What the*#@*& is "Wire constructed using a conductive-coated aramid suppressor core"? (Whatever,) I've always been told a solid copper core wire is best.
fatdaddy.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Using a suppressor core wire can possibly harm your magneto coil. China girl magneto's are easily damaged, because the windings are very small gauge, and can't handle much current. Things like suppressor wire, suppressor caps, and wide spark plug gaps increase current demand.

A good wire to help with RF that keeps resistance low is magnecor wire. Magnecor wire is specially made spiral wrap, solid core wire that is very anti RF but low resistance. You can buy them from SBP, or Magnecor direct.
I fail to understand this.

from the magnecore site:
"FOR USE ON RACING VEHICLES THAT USE HIGH-OUTPUT IGNITIONS AND REQUIRE EMI SUPPRESSION"

also:
"Magnecor Solid Wire Conductor 7mm Wires

Magnecor has always provided 7mm tin plated stranded copper wire conductor wires for restorations and industrial applications. The cable used features an EPDM insulator covered with a silicone rubber jacket. The cable only can be supplied in bulk on reels containing up to 10,000 feet, although there is no minimum order required for the cable."

these appear to be two diff types of wire with solid core not sold in useful quantities - neither looks useful for our LOW-OUTPUT ign systems

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I fail to understand this.

from the magnecore site:
"FOR USE ON RACING VEHICLES THAT USE HIGH-OUTPUT IGNITIONS AND REQUIRE EMI SUPPRESSION"

also:
"Magnecor Solid Wire Conductor 7mm Wires

Magnecor has always provided 7mm tin plated stranded copper wire conductor wires for restorations and industrial applications. The cable used features an EPDM insulator covered with a silicone rubber jacket. The cable only can be supplied in bulk on reels containing up to 10,000 feet, although there is no minimum order required for the cable."

these appear to be two diff types of wire with solid core not sold in useful quantities - neither looks useful for our LOW-OUTPUT ign systems
I don't think you understand what you're reading. You can buy any length wire from them, and they will also make any custom length wire for you at no extra cost.

High output, or low output doesn't really matter to us. What a china girl needs is a low resistance solid core wire. You can get that kind of wire from a lot of places, but it won't be RF suppression wire. If you need solid core wires, but also RF suppression these are the best wires for that.

What these wires are designed for are vehicles with electronic ignitions that need suppressor wires to keep the RF from killing the ignition module, like Harley's for instance. Typically the only kind of wire you could use would be crappy carbon core suppression wire like you find at most auto supply stores. This type of wire is less desirable for a china girl because it's higher resistance than solid core wire that comes stock on china girls.

The reason you don't want high resistance wire is because it increases the current demand on the weak china girl magneto which can cause the windings to go poop dog

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I run only solid wire and zero resistance boots and non-resistor plugs, and I see no reason to change that.

I still fail at understanding what you're saying about magnecore tho, as it seems they sell their suppressor wire in small quantities, but solid only in bulk. Also, I see nothing on their site that says their solid core wire is anything special.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I run only solid wire and zero resistance boots and non-resistor plugs, and I see no reason to change that.

I still fail at understanding what you're saying about magnecore tho, as it seems they sell their suppressor wire in small quantities, but solid only in bulk. Also, I see nothing on their site that says their solid core wire is anything special.
What you're already running is great. Solid core wire, and zero resistance boots is what you should be running.

A problem might occur however if you tried to run a wireless speedo, or even some wired ones with those wires. RF from our china girl ignitions tends to mess with the electronics of bicycle computers. That's were we would find the magnecor wire to be beneficial, because they suppress RF without adding resistance.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
A problem might occur however if you tried to run a wireless speedo, or even some wired ones with those wires. RF from our china girl ignitions tends to mess with the electronics of bicycle computers. That's were we would find the magnecor wire to be beneficial, because they suppress RF without adding resistance.
exactly - I don't see a need for a speedo, but if a customer asks, I'd like to recommend something - I don't see anything on the magnecor site to really recommend it & I don't want to become one of those guys pushing boost bottles - if I tell 'em to use it, it has to be good

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
exactly - I don't see a need for a speedo, but if a customer asks, I'd like to recommend something - I don't see anything on the magnecor site to really recommend it & I don't want to become one of those guys pushing boost bottles - if I tell 'em to use it, it has to be good
I'm starting to feel sorry for your customers lol.