GoldenMotor.com

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes indeed, Steve's bike is very awesome. A great work !!!
silverbear, for a sidecarproject, look at a construction like this :www.TretHarley.de • Thema anzeigen - Seitenwagen - suche Detailfotos von dieser Konstruktion...

this is a SPRICK "packy" made in the 1970's or 80's. The construction around the rearwheel of the bike is interesting, you can lean the bike into curves. And by pulling the bolt, the sidecar is also detachable, only the little frame stays at the bicycle...
It would be nice to see a closeup of the mounting for that. My canoe sidecar has two attachment points with one pin which detaches the whole thing. I enjoyed attempting to read the German since I don't speak any besides stuff like Berlin, kraut, heil, etc. from movies. My favorite German movies are Fritz Lang's M and Das Boot... the best submarine film ever made. I liked the little emoticon of the two beer steins clicking together. Cool.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Zuendappman, thank you. The "packy" is what I should have built but the steel tubing was free but very heavy and the mahogany was free as well as the most of the wood I used to build the sidecar body so I wound up with a tank.
That along with the fact I can't balance on a bike because of injuries from a car accident I should have thought out the tilting bike a little more before I built it.
Was just in love with trying to do it.

The hook up on the "packy" would I think be ideal for Silverbears sidecar. It is light and with a gas motor it would move without any problems.

Thank you for the link to Steves work shop. Very interesting way he hooked it up.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ahh,This time when I brought up the link there were lots of pictures. The first time there was just the first one. My wish has already been granted. Yes, it is a nice simple setup, especially for a small sidecar. I may try making one like that sometime. Thanks!
SB

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
talked about it a few days ago, bought today.......
a friend of mine was at a fleamarket this morning, he found him and called me on the phone:" there is a sidecar for bicycles, do you want him ? only fifteen euro...."
I said : "yes, buy it for me", and now there it is : ugly color and cheap, crappy plastic-parts on it, but a real nice base for something more....

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice find! Very clever the way it hooks on to the bike. Can the basket and wheel part detach without removing the whole thing? Looks like it. That same attachment idea could be used for a home made sidecar. Interesting how many ways there are to do things. I wonder how much weight it is supposed to be able to handle. Any idea?
SB

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Yes, the sidecar is detachable by pulling the little bolt, very easy. I have already a idea that i want to realize with that thing. I want to built a motorized bicycle with a transport-sidecar and i want that it looks like a Harley-Davidson built around 1915. I think about a diamond-shaped frame, coloured all in gray, including the rims and fenders. Than i want white 26"x2.250" tires, brown handlebar-grips and saddle....
I think the sidecar can handle around 20-30 kg, so the box must be a lightweight. i build it out of plywood. But i don't know about the color, same color as the bike or in natural dark-stained ???
No matter, the winter is long and i can rethink about it when the bike is ready. But for the first time i collect parts for it.
When i begin with that all, i start a own thread, so stay tuned !!!

Thomas

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I feel kind of left out. This is my "Indian" sidecar made from a seventeen foot Grumman aluminum canoe, shortened and narrowed. Fasteddy helped me build it this past summer, with supervision from Aaniimoosh the wonder dog, who is was built for. Upholstery is elk hide, the frame was adapted from a pull behind trailer and I fabricated the hitch from copper. The build thread for the sidecar is part of a larger thread on the "Indian" build called Firebird, Silverbear's Worksman Cruiser.
SB

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Sb

nice!! Very nice !! The deer whistle on the front fender is a good idea ! Ha ha

HEIR ZUEN, THANKS FOR THE COOL SIDE CAR PIC`S !

RON

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Ron,
A deer whistle would be a good idea, but what is sitting on the front fender is a running light that comes on when the engine is going. It is made of copper and has an amber faceted stained glass 'jewel' as a lens. Inside are LED lights. On top of it are brass filigree dragon fly wings which were used in art deco stained glass lampshades back in the 1930's and 40's. In the American Indian world the dragonfly is also a motif in native artwork and is noted for its speed and agility. I've also liked dragonflies all my life and as a boy always rescued them from the water when they were too wet to lift off. So, I gave the bike a dragonfly jewel light as a kind of finishing touch. I probably won't do another like it as it is fragile. I gave it just two wings when a dragonfly has actually has four. After all these pictures were taken I finished up the bike running gear and made a little flag for the sidecar with a fishing rod as the mast and four raven feathers as a kind of flag to fly in the wind. So this bike and sidecar was my idea of an Indian & sidecar.
When my brother and I were kids he always said when he grew up he'd have an Indian motorcycle with a sidecar and I could ride in the sidecar while he drove the motorcycle. We grew up, or rather he grew up and forgot about it. I never grew up and now have my Indian with a sidecar. Ha!
SB

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Sb

I figured it was a lite of sort. Just had to jerk your chain a little. A nice touch to great build. That is what inspires us.

When very young, the adults told us kids that the dragon fly`s would sew our eyes shut, so we detoured around them.

Stripped gophers had around 25 cent bounty, paid by the county. My uncle told me to wait by their holes with a salt shaker. He said if i put salt on their tail they would be easy to catch.

Ron

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bill,
Yes, Moosh knows the bikes and trailers and sidecar are her stuff so I can take her riding. A funny thing has come about recently... I get her these chewwy rollup deals that are kind of expensive... rawhide on the outside and some kind of good stuff in the middle. She dreams about those things. I use a cut off wheel on my dremel to cut it into sections so gets her treat on the installment plan. Now if I'm cutting off a bolt or whatever she appears instantly when she hears the rotary tool whining. Paw quivering in the beg position, she is ever hopeful. What a dog.

Ron, Yes, I read that about sewing the eyes shut... weird European take on the dragonfly also called the devil's needle. American Indians saw the dragonfly as a friend and relative. That's how I see, them, too and figure anything that eats mosquitoes is a friend of mine. I'm glad you like the bike.

skyl4rk, Thank you sir. I like looking at it, too. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The gas tank is made from three tin cans soldered together and stitched up in harness leather. Headlight is also a tin can all dressed up, as is the leather brake light in back. I paid $20.00 for the damaged canoe and was pleased the original idea of turning an aluminum canoe into a sidecar turned out so well, in part thanks to my friend fasteddy who had some great how to do it ideas. I was absolutely floored at how that beat up old canoe polished up. And I still have the better half waiting to be made into another and better sidecar next summer.
SB

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Sb

did you and fast eddy make the transom behind the seat? I had assumed it was a square backed model and you had moved the transom forward. The transom looks factory made. Nice job of that also. Like the old saying; never assume anything ! Lol. Looks like a new sidecar !

Are you still in mn ? They had snow in duluth a few days ago.

Ron

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Moosh knows more than sidecars. I had to put my dog down in 1982 after 15 years and said I'd never go through that again so now everyone's dog is mine at least for a short time.
Took 4 dog biscuts over to Silverbears every morning and as I walked around the front of my camper the ever faithful Moosh was waiting for me or was under the house by the door so I couldn't miss her as I went in. Every so often I'd see her nose peeking from under the camper as I came out and would remember the cookies and go back in and get them.
Took a while but then I realized that the only time I saw her under the camper was when I forgot the cookies. I think she was under the van every morning and evening and if she didn't hear the cookie box being dived into she looked out to remind me that Silverbear and I were being guarded by the ever on guard Moosh against wild and dangerous chipmunks and squirrels.
She was counting on that reward.

Steve.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ron,
We made the transom from a piece of plywood and cut the aluminum skin for it from the side of the canoe, a double ender. We cut a section of gunnel and used that at the top of the stern piece to tie things together visually. Fasteddy made up the little corner pieces out of something or other, don't remember what. An unexpected difficulty was in removing the curve from the piece we cut from the side for the stern skin. Finally we heated it with a propane torch and pounded it out to flatten it. At first glance the stern does look factory made. Where we cut the canoe off to the length I wanted (about the same length as the bike) it was around 36" wide and we drew it in to around 18" wide, about the normal width of a chair. The bow piece top front had to be removed and cut down to size, too. The next one will be easier since now we know how to go about it.
Steve (fasteddy), Moosh says hi, where's my cookie? She still chases Little Johnny Pissoff, the resident communist red squirrel, but no luck so far catching him. She got one chippermonkey that was probably lame or just had three legs. By the time I saw it there were just three legs. Several mice passed over, thanks to her vigilance. Grouse look dumb, but still manage to fly away in the nick of time and the snowshoe hare is in that dangerous period of changing from brown to white camouflage for the winter... but there's no snow on the ground yet. Probably going to Maryland in early December. I have two 4 stroke bikes to finish before I go. Some snow flurries, but we have had a long Indian summer fall and still the ground is not yet frozen. I like it. Lower 20's at night, though, so I appreciate the fire in the wood stove. Already thinking about summer projects and the next sidecar with a frame strong enough for an adult to go for a ride in it. Fun stuff to think about...
SB