Sick Bike parts shift kit questions

GoldenMotor.com

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
For those of you that have used (or sell) the Sick Bikes shift kit...

If I'm converting from a single speed front to the SBP kit, would the chain location stay the same?

Is there an instruction manual available online?

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
Will the chain move left/right at the front or stay on the same plane.

How did I miss that download page? *smacks self on forehead*

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well I haven't ordered my kit yet (1 week to go) so I'm not 100%, but...

I think it should stay somewhat the same, since the inner chainring is used for the drive chain, and the outer is used for the motor. Don't quote me on that though. Hopefully Pablo or Ghost0 can jump in and comment.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I guess I don't really understand the question about the chain staying in the same place. As jasonh mentioned the position of the chainrings is approximately the same as any standard bike. You should not have any problems. What bike are you intending to use. This may help me assist you better.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The kit will not work on that frame. The reason is that there is no way for the chain coming from the jackshaft to meet up with the chain on the chainring. The only way it can be done is for an idler shaft to be created in the approximate location of a normal bottom bracket in relation to the engine. The cranks and jackshaft would both drive the idler and the idler would drive the rear wheel.

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
The kit will not work on that frame. The reason is that there is no way for the chain coming from the jackshaft to meet up with the chain on the chainring. The only way it can be done is for an idler shaft to be created in the approximate location of a normal bottom bracket in relation to the engine. The cranks and jackshaft would both drive the idler and the idler would drive the rear wheel.
The kit as a whole won't work, but elements of it will work for the application.

How much for the front freewheel assembly with cranks, jackshaft, bearings, and gears/sprockets?

I really don't want to buy the kit just to cannibalize it and toss the stuff I can't use.

Don't need engine mounts, jackshaft plates, etc.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The kit as a whole won't work, but elements of it will work for the application.

How much for the front freewheel assembly with cranks, jackshaft, bearings, and gears/sprockets?

I really don't want to buy the kit just to cannibalize it and toss the stuff I can't use.

Don't need engine mounts, jackshaft plates, etc.
Those items listed plus spindle will be about $126+~$10 shipping.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes that appears to be a bad grind job. If you can get the key in I don't think it will cause you any issues but we can gladly replace it for you. Send us and email.

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
Well, I didn't have the key stock either.

I looked at the instructions and they said to tighten one of the two set screws over the keyway. Since the key stock wasn't included I wasn't sure if this was a kit part or not.

I did see it (key stock) listed in the parts list at the end of the instructions, but was unsure if a running change was made that made the key stock unnecessary.

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
No.

I ordered the jackshaft assembly, front crank/freewheel assembly and associated parts.

I got the crank arms, front sprockets and gears, jackshaft, jackshaft gears, and bearings.

Didn't see hardware for the front sprockets or spindle for the crank assembly and no key stock or washer.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
It is becoming more clear now. You got the parts you ordered. You did not order any of the hardware that is typically in a complete kit. This is why you don't have those parts. If you would like to order them we would be glad to sell them to you. If not you can get keys at most hardware stores. They are 3/16 by 3/16 keys.

We will still replace the shaft if you want.

Long&Black

Nov 24, 2008
Georgia
So for $136 I got the cranks and sprockets but no spindle or even the hardware to mount the front sprockets to the freewheel?

Maybe it was a gross mis-communication but I thought I was ordering the front freewheel assembly as well as the jackshaft assembly and spindle as indicated in posts 8 and 9 in this discussion.