SBP large vs small mid-drives

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycle Non-hub Motor Drives' started by ajoh, Jun 6, 2016.

1. ajoh

ajoh Member

ok so i've been running a mid-drive for a fair while now (about 1.5yrs) starting with the standard little motor that SBP stocks, it's a great little motor as long as you can handle the whine from the steel straight cut gears and the over heating if you get to throttle happy (motor shuts down for about 3minutes)

recently i ordered SBP's large motor kit an damn! what a difference it's pretty much silent much like hub motors it is however geared differently what i noticed apart from the silence is i did lose some top end spend due mainly to more

built in gear reduction (a good thing TBH) an i think the motor doesn't spin as fast ie, it's rpm is lower (not tested just my feeling on it) think of it more like a diesel, lower rev-ing but more torque so a simple gear change will get my top end an cruise speed back no big deal honestly cuss it climbs the hill my street is on so much easier(^)

i've been out on it for the last two days ringing it's neck an haven't had one over heating shut down BONUS!

oh an the controller is inter changeable so if you are running the small motor an order the kit just unplug an leave your controller in place (^)

i'll add more later after i do some k's (miles) with this rig...........

thank you SBP (^) ...................

2. culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic Well-Known Member

I run a mid drive to a geared rear hub, it's quick and crazy top speed. You must have got the 3000 watt mid-drive, that's my next one. Keep us updated...

3. ajoh

ajoh Member

yes with the "small" motor i could hit 40+mph (60-65kph) flat out (honestly i backed off once i saw the speed) with a nexus 3speed running a 22t cog to a 48t chain ring on the motor side was 14t to a 52t using SBP's chain ring spiders

that little motor is fast, the new one(the large 1800-3000w motor) is geared differently so i've lost a lot of top end but it's a lot smoother an so damn quiet i've swapped my 48t for a 50t i had here an ordered a 20t cog for the back so that will hopefully get my cruise speed back where i like it on the twist throttle

if you do it culvercityclassic just buy the mounting kit an the motor as your controller will plug straight up (unless you want spare controller, throttle etc)

i'll keep you all posted...........

4. fasteddy

fasteddy Well-Known Member

I have one waiting it's turn on the Monark and sidecar. What size of battery did you get and how is your mileage?

Steve.

5. ajoh

ajoh Member

i run 2x 48v 25ah batteries on the small motor i've regularly done 130km (80miles) at a speed between 20-30kph but still haven't run the batteries dead flat an i'd prefer not to, i also have a 10ah battery on that back rack as a reserve

on this new motor i have no idea, yet..............

6. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Good public feedback - thanks!!

7. culvercityclassic

I just can't get enough of my ebike, my ride everyday to work....hauls as

Anyone have any idea what rear hub can withstand the 3000 watt motor, I have a SRAM I-Drive 3 speed that's kinda robust...really only need 3 speeds

Attached Files:

zing likes this.
  8. ajoh

ajoh Member

the 1800-3000watt motor is a lot smoother in power delivery than the small motor and just like with your current motor as long as you don't flat shift you should be all good.........

9. ajoh

ajoh Member

your welcome (^).........

10. fasteddy

Who did you get your batteries from?

Steve.

11. ajoh

ajoh Member

bud, i got mine off ebay from a guy here in australia they cost me $685 each(AUD) for the 48v 25ah batteries an the 10ah battery came from an old hub motor kit i got..........

this might help you http://www.goldenmotor.ca/categories/Batteries/Batteries/

12. fasteddy

Golden Motors are here in Canada. A 30 amp, 48volt battery delivered to my door is about $1,700 Canadian dollars.

Steve.

13. ajoh

ajoh Member

damn! ok well i guess all you can do is shop around look on ebay etc.......

btw my batteries aren't custom they look just like the silver ones one GM i have them mounted to my crotch bar (lol the top bar on my beach cruiser)
    one either side, it's damn heavy with everything mounted but it does the job i need it to do..........

this is with the old little motor (yes the mount is different from sbp's but the motor is from sbp)

Attached Files:

14. fasteddy

I stand corrected. With the battery charger it's about $1,850 Canadian. It's like shipping things to Australia to my niece. You get used to the price.

Steve.

15. ajoh

ajoh Member

damn man that seriously sucks try ebay an so on is all i can say.........

16. fasteddy

I was looking at the posts on the e-bike threads and someone mentioned Luna Cycle in California and they had some large 48-52V batteries for around $600 U.S. have to add 40% for taxes and dollar exchange but still it's a savings.

They must be good because they were sold out of any that I wanted. I have time to look around.

Steve.

17. culvercityclassic

18. fasteddy

C.C.C, thank you for the link. They are part of Luna Cycles and they are the people I've decided to buy from. I'll contact them and see what they advise for the Currie but I'll get as big as they make.
    They explain everything carefully in their product information.

The Monark and sidecar and myself will need all there is to get going.

Steve.

19. ajoh

ajoh Member

CulverCityClassic how's your hub been? i ask because i started out with a sturmey archer 3speed disc hub because i had read here it was tough and i wanted disc brakes, well it ended up breaking a pawl which i replaced but the hub never worked properly again

so i had to use my backup wheel with a coaster brake nexus inter-3 an or though the hub works great my only issue is it's not disc brake thus doesn't have the braking power i need hence why i ask about you hub.........