Rough weather riders! I think you're my only hope..

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm having a terrible time finding replacements for my spring-fall-winter riding pants. Several times I've scoured Amazon and Google, coming up empty-handed, until I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I've got a pair of rain bibs that must be ten years old now. They're just great. Comfy and flexible, with good pockets. I think they cost me $45.00 or so.

They're not as waterproof as they used to be. The material is actually feeling rather light and thin. I'm actually wearing them out. It's only a matter of time before the pockets rip out, I suppose. I need to replace them and I just can't find anything similar that doesn't have a couple hundred dollar, or more, price tag. I could even see myself, just possibly, shelling out those kinda dollars for what I need. But if I found that, say, the hips bound, then I'd be disgusted with the manufacturer, myself and the whole world.

I recently bought a set of Frog Tog bibs. About 30 bucks. No pockets. But I figured that I'd live with that for the sake of the right pants for bad weather. But what I got seems to have been designed for a guy who's pretty tall, with thin legs (so far, so good) and the belly of a sumo wrestler. Fail! I can't wear those stupid things. Had they cost more, I'd be throwing a real tantrum.

Here's a decent look at what I consider to be the perfect cold/bad weather riding pants.
DSCN0404.JPG
DSCN0405.JPG

The material, as opposed to a flat sheet of PVC, is a nylon weave of about the texture of a button-down cotton shirt. Maybe a slight bit heavier, but not much. The knees and butt are reinforced with a sheet of a heavier weave. There's no insulation. I prefer it that way, for that matter. Overall warmth is comparable to blue jeans.

Can anyone point me toward a source for something like this? If I could duplicate these at a cost of, say, 50 bucks I'd be quite happy. Though lower would be better, of course. I could see myself getting close to a hundred for something that's just right. I doubt if I'd go higher. I'd make something else work instead.

Thanks.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thanks. But hunting clothes come up more short than one might think.

Either they're too flimsy or they're over-insulated. Though they do tend to have good pockets, it's true.

And I have nothing against camouflage except that it's not quite right for applications where hi-viz is desirable.

Though I can see myself turning to hunting clothes if nothing else can be found.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well, I'm still searching. And I'm actually making some progress.

In the past I'd searched motorcycle accessory sites. But prices tended to be a bit much.

But here's an item that doesn't look bad at a good price. What's more the site gives a short video demonstration of the product so that you can have a decent look at it. I'm impressed.

And I'll link just in case anyone else needs to find some good rough weather gear.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-mototrek-two-piece-rainsuit?WT.ac=SLIsearch#

Here's another one that doesn't look bad at all.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/46242/i/nelson-rigg-wp-8000-weather-pro-2-piece-rain-suit

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I bought a few things from that site when we had dirt bikes, they will email you sale notices regularly. They have some pretty good deals from time to time.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. I've bought boot covers from them before and I've noticed the e-mails.

They're a pretty good outfit, actually, and probably deserve more attention than I give them.

I'm a former motorcyclist. But these days that's a world that I just don't pay attention to. But some of that gear could be useful to us. Maybe I should check in with them more.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Ive been looking to upgrade the ol wet weather gear, especially for my legs. Thanks for the links :D
I really like the one with the video, I'm not crazy about the color options there, but I'm not sure if I'm fond of the others either. I do already have a rain coat is its not really an issue.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Years ago I considered a divers dry suit, but if you need to get in and out in a hurry, they're not ideal.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
That big brass helmet would probably really kill your peripheral vision too.

Tom
You know full well I mean the modern ones that replaced wetsuits.

The only drawback to them is that eating the wrong sort of foods could inflate you to blimp size.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Duluth Fire Hose pants.

They make both lined & un-lined.
Those Fire Hose work pants do look very good for outdoor/riding. Thanks. I've even been considering something like that if I can't find what I'm really looking for.

That big brass helmet would probably really kill your peripheral vision too.

Tom
Still....if it gets them to wear a helmet, then it's not all bad.

If I added on two of those little eyeglass mirrors would I look like a dork?

Never mind.......I think I'm gettin' the picture.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Those Fire Hose work pants do look very good for outdoor/riding. Thanks. I've even been considering something like that if I can't find what I'm really looking for.
I quit buying Levi's - the denim pants from Duluth wear much longer.

The other thing that is nice on a bike or motorcycle is the front pockets. They are about twice the depth of regular jeans pockets. Nothing ever finds it way out of a pocket while sitting or pedaling.

I have always found that good rain gear is better if it is a separate item. Insulate in layers, and add a waterproof top layer if you must. Waterproof clothing traps moisture under it as well as it keeps it out.

Spent many a year in a duck blind, and just as many riding motorcycles year round. Clothes that are great in the blind - suck on a bike.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You're spot on about the good pockets and the uninsulated outer shell.

Good cargo pockets are almost a must. I can make do without them. But life is much better with.

And I don't even want any insulation in my outer shell. I can take care of that underneath, depending on weather conditions.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Talking to a friend that lives in the PNW about the rain gear issue this morning.

He says the best answer is Never Wet. Specifically the non-aerosol product for outdoor fabric furniture. He says any coat is a rain coat with this stuff. Spray a cheap hoodie & go.

This guy knows wet - I have hunted with him, and we both understand "Good weather - if you are a DUCK!".

I don't get enough rain here to test this anytime soon, but I believe him. It is cold here right now, ice in all the gutters & a closed highway because of ice...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thanks, FFV8.

I've used Camp-Dri and Scotch Guard and stuff like that with some success. I've found that that stuff will make a cotton jacket into a sem-rain jacket. Not water-proof. But water resistant, anyway.

I've never heard of "Never Wet". But if I can find some, I'll give it a try.