Riding in the hood.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I always do... If you need help putting it together just go here.... I thought, as I told him that, what we really need here is a mentor program. Where the main responsibility for helping is with a mentor. The newby can pick someone and that person will help them till the problem is solved.

I say that because most of the time after the problem is fixed we finally here oh yeah it was doing this or that before I just didn't mention it. It's hard to question a new person about what the bike is really doing when he is bombarded with a hundred things at once.

To really help we need to be able to ask specific questions and then after all the possible information we can probably come up with answers.. Well someone can anyway.

I am not qualified to mentor anyone but some of the people here are and there is always someone around who can help. Right now the biggest problem I see is we are all trying to help without enough information from the person with the problem.

I mean real time q&a the person trying to fix the bike should hang around long enough to answer the right questions to get the right help.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I only have one bike, I need to build a second one like a spare tire kind of thing. I'm still hoping the weedie will do it, but I have my doubts. Norman how do I find and use a brass bushing. I need something to support the off side of that motor. I want to make a hold down for the drive wheel on the opposite side of the wheel from the motor. I need a 3/8 interior dia bushing on a six or so inch rod. Any IdeAS.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I ran an errand today. Bike wouldn't start till i found the spark plug wire off. So I took off once I reattached it. Then i couldn't restart it at the home depot. I had to take the wire off and reattach it. I stopped and bought my second new spark plug wire. This one actually fits the plug they cant be just 7mm they have to have the right spark plug end for some reason they are not all the same. It started much easier when I tried with the wire attached lol...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yes the plug has the closed top. So the first 7mm wire I bought fit the black box but the top for the plug was too big. Since I had already cut the wire off before I found out, I squeezed it tighter. It worked for a while but it wasn't right. This one is smaller and it actually fits as does the boot.

Thats what I meant earlier about nickels and dimes. Just little things like this keep coming up with this bike. Nothing serious or really expensive just always seems to be something it needs lol. It definitely is a female always needing attention.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
I was at walmart today and in the hardware department I came across pillow block bearing of different sizes most around $4.00 or so those would possibly work for the bearing on the off side of your build you will have to make a plug to fit your roller and shoulder it down to fit a bearing.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the build is a nightmare but I'm gonna whop it or burn it up or maybe both. I'm still working on it every time I test it something else needs doing. I stink of gasoline at the moment and I'm to tired to care.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm going to try to keep my comments down to a minimum, but I did want to make an observation about ME. This probably doesn't fit anyone else but ME...

I was out today looking for a bike frame. I went to the thrift shop on my bike (any excuse to ride it). On the way back there a long downhill stretch and the bike just stopped in the middle of it. I checked the tank and since I couldn't see any gas, I poured my emergency fuel in. I just knew that couldn't be the problem but there was room for it so why not.

that's when I noticed the spark plug wire had come loose from the black box. No big deal I just shoved it back in. So I'm pedaling down hill to drag start it and it fires up. Just about this time a big bubble butt dumper truck passed me. So far no big deal. I know what a dumper sounds like, but then, but then, suddenly there is this huge sound like my bike just exploded. Needless to say It just scared the b jesus out of me.

It took a second to realize the dump truck had a blown exhaust manifold gasket. I have no idea how much pressure one of those things blows but it sounds like the death rattle of every mechanical thing within a hundred miles. My bike not excluded.

It was about ten minutes later that I realized. I ride that bike everyday just expecting and waiting for the next thing to go wrong. Like I said it's probably just me but I always expect something to go wrong when it doesn't I consider it a great day. And it usually doesn't but things like the wire coming loose happen often enough to stay in the back of my mind.

Okay some of it was me running out of gas. And I almost never have to push it home. Though I have left it chained to a post while I walked home for my car. I have ridden it home on broken spokes ect.

Still nothing like the death rattle of a 10 ton dump truck with a blown exhaust gasket.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
LOL, Deacon its not just you. I would have pulled to the side of the road and spent the next few minutes trying to figure out where the death rattle came frome and then would have been very carful ridding home in fear of completely blowing my bike up. A little bit of paranoia seems to run with these bikes...Kelly

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you know yesterday I got the mount fixed (I thought) today the pedals were jamed when I moved the engine enough to clear them I had a heck of a chain racket. I was sure the chain was striking the motor case so I moved the motor up a little and that fixed that but then the drive chain was way too tight and If I loosened it any the bike chain would not tighten even with the tensioner so I took a link out of the bike after I bought a new chain breaker.

so I had to move the tensioner back to the drive chain. Just asking for trouble I know. I'm going to break down and buy a half link even if it's on line and I have to pay three times what it is worth. No one in this town has one.

I was talking to my wife about the senior citizens bike and she is the one who mentioned first this is not the motor for a senior to buy to run errands. It is too demanding of adjustments. I know you guys say you don't have to do that but I'm riding a couple of days then something needs attention.

I can see now that if I stay healthy enough to ride a hub motor is in my future.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought two of the half links the price was 9 bucks for two. Not too bad but I think they are probably worth about half that much. Maybe this will finally solve my multitude of chain problems.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If someone had come along today to offer me twenty bucks for my bike he might have been the new owner. The chain came off before I got it started. Just pedaling it threw the chain. I put it on it threw it.

It is the tensioner when I tightened and adjusted the engine's location it changed the chain dynamics. I had to remove a link from the bike chain. when I did that the engine chain was way too long so I had to move the tensioner there. It just won't do the job and I have the one with bearings. I'm just gonna let it sit till I come up with the half links that are on order. Then I'm going to go at it with a vengeance.

This chain drive has been nothing but a bad dream to me since day one. I will have to stay at it but I really don't like this at all. I'm not giving up on the bike but I am miffed at it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So I parked the bike until the half links come in. I stabbed my thumb with the screwdriver pretty good so the bike and I both could use a day away from each other.

Of course I did do something bike related. I live about a mile from the greenway hiking trail. It is also a bike path but the motor bike is not welcome there.

I need to start my walking again. It and the bike helped me get much much better than I was before I started both routines. I have been spending so much time with the bike that I haven't been walking regularly. I have lots of excuses but now the weather is getting nice so I'm going to do it regardless.

I decided to combine my trip to the path with a bike ride. The only problem I have thought of was the motorcycle helmet my step brat and her husband insisted on buying me for christmas. Yes I need the helmet but I don't want to lug it around for a couple of miles. so what I did was today I went to the goodwill store and bought a child's bike helmet. I sprayed it a solid color and put an extension on the chin strap. Yes I look dorky but it will keep me from getting a ticket for the mile ride and since it is ventilated I can run the bike locking cable through it. It offers a little protection, very little but It isn't much of a trip to the greenway walking trail.

So I did two things bike related, bought the helmet and screwed up the chain and tensioner again. What a great day this was. Oh by the way the helmet was three fifty so if they do steal it no big deal. The big deal will be if they cut the cable to get the helmet it will be only secondary to stealing my bike.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Deacon... post some pics of your chain tensioner, I'm very curious as to why you are having sooo much trouble with your chain!
Maybe we can spot something that might help??? :ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Deacon... post some pics of your chain tensioner, I'm very curious as to why you are having sooo much trouble with your chain!
Maybe we can spot something that might help??? :ride2:
thanks but this tensioner is running crooked I know the problem I just need to get the half link and get rid of it. It worked fine on the bike chain side cause it didn't get used much. On the motor side it didn't let the chain track straight. I couldn't get it straight. LOL...

With the half link at the least I can put it back on the bike chain side. At the best I won't need it on either side. I HATE TENSIONERS.

Joe

thats why I have patience I know it is my own fault. I have had chain issues from day one. I can go weeks without a flare up but change one little thing and the grelims come of of the woodwork.

I have been thinking hub as well Joe. I love this little devil but it's requiring too much maintenance for me these days. I ride mine every day as well that might be part of it. I might not be having all that much problem except I'm on it almost everyday going somewhere or doing something.

I'm also thinking honda friction drive on the rear for the range the electric doesn't have.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Whenever one of my tensioners runs crooked, I bend it a little so that it rolls inline with the chain... & I also make sure that it "feeds" the chain straight onto the rear sprocket then I pin it in place with a small sheetmetel screw.
I got real lucky with the "Bomber", The chain fit perfect with the 36T sprocket & I didn't need the tensioner!
Maybe I've just been really lucky with all my bikes, but I've had very few problems with the chains...:D :ride2:

Last edited: