Replace/Repair/Adjust Chain

GoldenMotor.com

cpav13

May 18, 2008
Hello All,

I'm the guy with the $15 motor bike that I bought at a garage sale last week. I keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and I had a gumption killing moment today I'm seeking advice on.

I realized that the reason the last guy got rid of the bike was because he had stripped out the engine mounts. I got impatient, and started it before I fixed the mount, and it jumped off the frame. It looked OK, so I spent the morning re-tapping the engine mounts (a cool thing to learn how to do, I must admit). I got it all back together and found out that when it jumped off of the frame I broke one of the links. Then, when inspecting the damage, I lost the master link (grrrrrr).

Are the chains with these 50cc motors basically standard? I know I can order a master link from zoombicycles.com, but then I'd still need the replacement link. Anyone know a place I can get one of those? Should I just buy a new chain? What do you all think?

Thanks!

Cory

cpav13

May 18, 2008
Re: Replace or Repair Chain?

Hey, Now I'm replying to my own post!

I scrolled down the page, read a thread on chains, and saw a related threads section. Learned a fair amount.

Still wondering though, anyone know what kind of shop carries these 415 sized chains besides online retailers? Where would I open the yellow pages?

Is there a way to search these threads?

Thanks again!

Cory

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida

You can go to the main page and search threads by keywords. I have replaced the chain with #41 chain. I got mine at Tractor Supply Co., 10 feet for under $15. and also a pkg of 5 masterlinks for another $2.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i agree on the #41 chain. i think they are made of stronger metal and will last longer also

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I get my chain for a little over $4.00 from Bearing-Belt & Chain, Inc. 430 W. 22nd Street 520-792-1231...They used to be a sponser of mine and they still hook me up with 10ft and a handfull of connecter link's...

Stock Chinese chain on Left...New #41 on Right

Last edited:

billyjoebigdaddy

May 29, 2008

I went to get a #41 chain. Did not work for me. My old chain was metric and #41 is standard. It is much wider than the chain that came with my kit. And it would walk on the sprocket. Glad I didn't take off on a long trip. The chain walked into the frame of my bike...ouch...

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

I would guess that you have alighment issues. the width of the chain shouldn't matter if your sproocket and motor sprocket are alighned. Some of the kits come stock with a 415 which is even wider, this is what I use. I think I have one more 415 left then I will switch to the 41...Kelly

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Adjusting the chain

You want to have at least 1/2-3/4 inch of slack in your chain. To tight is just as bad as too loose.

With a tape measure...measure from the bottom chain stays to the top of the chain (the drive part). Alway's measure from the same place...I use my chain tensioner as a guide (about a inch and half away from it) Measure in the middle between the sprocket's.

Measure the chain first

Now with your finger pull up on the top chain (drive part) until all slack is gone...As you can see I have about a inch of slack...too much

Use your tensioner to adjust..If you do not have enough adjustment on your tensioner...moving it back (towards rear sprocket) should give you a little more adjustment. If you can't do that...you may have to remove a link. If you remove a link, you may also need to move the tensioner back towards the engine. BE SURE!! removing a link will not make your chain too short!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Here it is adjusted to 3/4 inch...The measurements are not exact in the pic's...it was too dificult to hold camera tape measure and chain all at the same time. But it should give you a good ideal how to go about it.

How to remove link with bench grinder coming soon

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

I want to chime in and say rotate your rear wheel and find where the chain its at its tightest and use that point to set the slack in your chain. I run mine more on the loose side than tight.
Norman