Replace/Repair/Adjust Chain

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by cpav13, May 24, 2008.

1. cpav13

cpav13 New Member

Hello All,

I'm the guy with the $15 motor bike that I bought at a garage sale last week. I keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and I had a gumption killing moment today I'm seeking advice on.

I realized that the reason the last guy got rid of the bike was because he had stripped out the engine mounts. I got impatient, and started it before I fixed the mount, and it jumped off the frame. It looked OK, so I spent the morning re-tapping the engine mounts (a cool thing to learn how to do, I must admit). I got it all back together and found out that when it jumped off of the frame I broke one of the links. Then, when inspecting the damage, I lost the master link (grrrrrr).

Are the chains with these 50cc motors basically standard? I know I can order a master link from zoombicycles.com, but then I'd still need the replacement link. Anyone know a place I can get one of those? Should I just buy a new chain? What do you all think?

Thanks!

Cory

2. cpav13

cpav13 New Member

Re: Replace or Repair Chain?

Hey, Now I'm replying to my own post!

I scrolled down the page, read a thread on chains, and saw a related threads section. Learned a fair amount.

Still wondering though, anyone know what kind of shop carries these 415 sized chains besides online retailers? Where would I open the yellow pages?

Is there a way to search these threads?

Thanks again!

Cory

3. misteright1_99

misteright1_99 New Member

You can go to the main page and search threads by keywords. I have replaced the chain with #41 chain. I got mine at Tractor Supply Co., 10 feet for under $15. and also a pkg of 5 masterlinks for another $2.

4. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Tractor Supply Co.
    #41 Chain.
    Mister right is right, mister.

5. paul

paul Active Member

i agree on the #41 chain. i think they are made of stronger metal and will last longer also

6. billyjoebigdaddy

billyjoebigdaddy New Member

I'm glad I found this post. I'm heading to the tractor supply to get a #41 chain for 12.88

7. misteright1_99

misteright1_99 New Member

8. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

I get my chain for a little over $4.00 from Bearing-Belt & Chain, Inc. 430 W. 22nd Street 520-792-1231...They used to be a sponser of mine and they still hook me up with 10ft and a handfull of connecter link's...

Stock Chinese chain on Left...New #41 on Right

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#8 Dave31, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  9. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

10. billyjoebigdaddy

billyjoebigdaddy New Member

I went to get a #41 chain. Did not work for me. My old chain was metric and #41 is standard. It is much wider than the chain that came with my kit. And it would walk on the sprocket. Glad I didn't take off on a long trip. The chain walked into the frame of my bike...ouch...

11. Bikeguy Joe

What kind of bicycle motor kit do you have?

12. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, I too would like to know :)

13. nogoodnic

nogoodnic New Member

I would guess that you have alighment issues. the width of the chain shouldn't matter if your sproocket and motor sprocket are alighned. Some of the kits come stock with a 415 which is even wider, this is what I use. I think I have one more 415 left then I will switch to the 41...Kelly

14. Bikeguy Joe

I think you have alignment issues too.

15. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Adjusting the chain

You want to have at least 1/2-3/4 inch of slack in your chain. To tight is just as bad as too loose.

With a tape measure...measure from the bottom chain stays to the top of the chain (the drive part). Alway's measure from the same place...I use my chain tensioner as a guide (about a inch and half away from it) Measure in the middle between the sprocket's.

Measure the chain first
    [​IMG]

Now with your finger pull up on the top chain (drive part) until all slack is gone...As you can see I have about a inch of slack...too much
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use your tensioner to adjust..If you do not have enough adjustment on your tensioner...moving it back (towards rear sprocket) should give you a little more adjustment. If you can't do that...you may have to remove a link. If you remove a link, you may also need to move the tensioner back towards the engine. BE SURE!! removing a link will not make your chain too short!!
    [​IMG]

16. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Here it is adjusted to 3/4 inch...The measurements are not exact in the pic's...it was too dificult to hold camera tape measure and chain all at the same time. But it should give you a good ideal how to go about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How to remove link with bench grinder coming soon

17. Norman

Norman LORD VADER Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to chime in and say rotate your rear wheel and find where the chain its at its tightest and use that point to set the slack in your chain. I run mine more on the loose side than tight.
    Norman

18. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

#18 Dave31, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008