Question about 66cc kit on a Walmart bike

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I hear a lot of controversy on if bikes sold at Walmart are good/safe to put engine kits on. I don't honestly know who's right. Kinda would like to put my kit on a newer bike. Preferably on a frame not made from aluminum. Should I consider getting like a cheap $100+ bike from Walmart or do they fall apart like I hear from a lot of folks? As would be expected with an older bike frame have run into several problems with trying to use this Trek 930 Singletrack frame from the 1990's. Please advise.

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
I've built 2 using new bikes ordered from walmart, a 26 inch hyper beach cruiser and a 26 inch kent avalon. I havent had any more trouble than is going to be common to any china 2 stroke motorized bicycle. anything that isnt locktite or double nutted is going to vibrate loose. to my view maintenance is just a given with this hobby.... kelly

Attachments

Reactions: indian22

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I'm trying to get one with a steel frame so down the road I can mod it for more power. How can you tell if it has a steel frame? I was thinking about this one.

Attachments

Last edited:

steveanson

Oct 2, 2014
Houston, TX
RUSTY - Use a magnet on the frame. I would however, not feel safe on any motorized bike with a single brake system, and I will avoid a coaster brake completely. Good luck and have fun and be safe...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Coaster brakes are good, if you have a good front brake. If you try and stop a motor bike with them alone they will be toast, especially the newer ones. Front brake is a must, and does most of the stopping........Curt

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Here is one on a roadmaster, doesn't get cheaper than that. No problems, it worked out perfectly and was a comfortable ride. I do suggest you find a bike with front suspension, you will be very happy if you do and unhappy if you don't. Larry

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Yeah, I saw one of those Roadmaster bikes at Walmart today. Was considering that one too. Thanks everyone for all the advice so far. Once I get a new frame I'll update as I work on my build.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
What makes Walmart bikes unsafe is not the frame. The bikes are often assembled wrong. The brakes are unfit without an engine. The spokes and rims are too light. The wheel baring suck

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Is this the same Roadmaster bike? Has 26" wheels? It's $98 at Walmart? If so, I'll probably get this one since its cheap and would be able to do my build on it.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Is this the same Roadmaster bike? Has 26" wheels? It's $98 at Walmart? If so, I'll probably get this one since its cheap and would be able to do my build on it.
Not sure about model. Would look at a few bike assembly videos. Small things can make your ride safer.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Built mine on the 29" Mongoose from walmart. Put over 100 miles on it so far, no troubles.
I put 4000 miles on a kent bayside form walmart. The bike came with fork installed backward and breaks sucked. For $99.00 it was a great deal. I later bought a gas tank frame and $50.00 HM comp mountain bike off craigslist. The two bikes and frame became my ride. Went another 6000 miles before starting my current bike build. The chain guard is off my kent bayside and seat post off my HM comp.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Yeah, I was most likely going to go with the Roadmaster bike. There's one at the Walmart down the street for $98. Just waiting on the good ol paycheck lol. Had to put a new clutch in my car and it cleaned me out on funds :(

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
The only thing I had to do was to slightly modify the mounting for the engine so that it would sit lower in the frame to allow the air filter to clear the top bar. On the cast part I shortened it some, I have a milling machine so I milled it off but a hacksaw and file would do fine, the mounting plate I cut a v in so that it also would go slightly lower in the frame, this worked out perfectly for me and the bike was very comfortable to ride and is probably one of the smallest frames that will let the engine fit without major alterations.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
I also did have to do a little shimming at the rear wheel to help align the sprocket but that happens on other bikes also. I remover the derailer on the front sprocket but left it on the rear. You will definitely appreciate having some suspension on the front fork. Larry

Last edited:

Zeldanumber17

Oct 26, 2019
Walmart bikes are fine just if it’s got a coaster brake add a front disk. Anything with front, rear brakes and steel frame is fine. Expect to need new wheel bearings in cheap bikes around the 800 mile mark though. I like building on giant mountain bikes, cheap but not to cheap and pretty good quality for price. Wheel bearings tend to last around 2k miles before they start getting sad.