Product Review....Dax Muffler

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I installed the new "High Perfomance" exhaust from Dax. Nothing to get excited about performance wise. Overall it is a quality exhaust, welds look good and the chrome is very nice. Twenty bucks is a fair price. I have bought two motors and the original mufflers broke where the weld meets the chamber. Overall a nice product!! The down side is the shipping......nothing to do with the muffler. Expect an order to take 2 1/2 to 3 weeks unless you want to pay an extra $39.00 and he will mail it the next day, otherwise it's up to 10 days to process an order and then travel time....7-9 days.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Red,

Thanks for the review....I was dying to know more about it.....I know you mentioned that the performance was nothing to get excited about but did you feel that it helped any at all? How does it sound compared to the stock muffler?.

Andrew

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
It is fairly quiet. I cut the baffle out of my original like Dax explains on his site. Had it re-welded and it was way louder. The new one sounds good....I may tinker with the baffle on the new one also. As per comparrison of the two performance wise, I cant tell a whole lot of difference.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
No I haven't. I read somewhere about re-jetting and they were talking about being so many feet above sea level set it at a certain spot. Right now it is in the factory position. Where do you reccommend setting it? Does sea level play a part? I'm in Florida if it does!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah try moving it (the clip) down one notch and see if it improves.

I "adjusted" my taper on the needle itself with a cordless drill and some 320 wet or dry sandpaper.

I don't know where you are in FLA, but it's close to sea-level.

I tried some modification to my exhausts and came up with the conclusion that the more you open them up to breathe better, the more they vibrate and the louder they get (obviously). Basically the power seems to be the same, just distributed differently. You might get a couple more top speed MPH but you don't want to run these little buggers wide open very much...they WILL grenade on you. The

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I tried the re-jetting. I moved the clip down two notches. It was in the top position from the factory. It improved the idle 100%.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
its a good looking mufler and need to change mine and will get one from dax. he show's a comparison on the site and i think for the few bucks extra it will be worth it

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you might need to go leaner being at higher elevation. Try the wide open run after its warmed up good. While at wide open and wound out push in on the kill button and keep it pushed in to kill the engine. Pull the plug and see what color the thing is light brown is good . If the plug looks like a new one no color or the electrodes are blue its too lean, nasty black and oily, its too rich. If its not broke in yet it will be kind of hard to do a plug check. I can't remember the clip setting but I think it is slot #2 from the top of the needle but check my post on carbs to be sure. Does that help you. If not take a picture of your plug in good outside light and I'll try to give you more help.
Norman

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
At 1000 above seal level, I'm running the second from the top, and it's on the border of too rich.

That said, start there and maybe go to the top. If the top is just a bit too lean, you can taper your needle with some fine sandpaper and a cordless drill.

Just a little "adjustment" at a time please!

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
you might need to go leaner being at higher elevation. Try the wide open run after its warmed up good. While at wide open and wound out push in on the kill button and keep it pushed in to kill the engine. Pull the plug and see what color the thing is light brown is good . If the plug looks like a new one no color or the electrodes are blue its too lean, nasty black and oily, its too rich. If its not broke in yet it will be kind of hard to do a plug check. I can't remember the clip setting but I think it is slot #2 from the top of the needle but check my post on carbs to be sure. Does that help you. If not take a picture of your plug in good outside light and I'll try to give you more help.
Norman

That is the BEST peice of info I've read on one of these forums. It's the kind of help I've been looking for. I never would have thought to check that. Thank you

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Norman is a genious. He can figure out anything if he can get his hands on it. He's on 24 hr. call this week so he's not been on here much. But wait till he gets some time off.....................:D

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just remember that when you are wide open, and you hit the kill switch to also pull in the clutch or your plug will be a black-ish wet mess that you won't get an accurate reading from!