Ported Piston

GoldenMotor.com

Cody Helton

Oct 30, 2018
I recently purchased a ported piston from gasbike and installed it on my stock motor without modification. Everything went into place as usual, I have spark, fuel and what I believe is strong compression. My issue is the motor needs to be drowned, literally drowned in fuel to start (like choke on full and throttle wide open to the point fuel is leaking from the carb intake, and once started, acts like it doesnt want all that fuel anymore. It will idle once started and clutch pulled in but I have to hold the throttle barely open, release the choke and it is super hesitant to rev. If I open the throttle too far, the engine dies. It has nowhere near enough power to pull me. What is my issue? Does the ported piston require a larger carburator than stock? Do I need to change something relating to the ports in my cylinder? Do I need a bigger jet in the stock carb? Ideas? Thanks and I look forward to getting to meet everyone here :)

Cody Helton

Oct 30, 2018
Also what should the plug gap be? Only other aftermarket thing done to the motor is upgraded ignition and the NGK spark plug.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I recently purchased a ported piston from gasbike and installed it on my stock motor without modification. Everything went into place as usual, I have spark, fuel and what I believe is strong compression. My issue is the motor needs to be drowned, literally drowned in fuel to start (like choke on full and throttle wide open to the point fuel is leaking from the carb intake, and once started, acts like it doesnt want all that fuel anymore. It will idle once started and clutch pulled in but I have to hold the throttle barely open, release the choke and it is super hesitant to rev. If I open the throttle too far, the engine dies. It has nowhere near enough power to pull me. What is my issue? Does the ported piston require a larger carburator than stock? Do I need to change something relating to the ports in my cylinder? Do I need a bigger jet in the stock carb? Ideas? Thanks and I look forward to getting to meet everyone here :)
Your "ported piston" will only work with a reed valve.
I presume that you mean that the piston has a window in it.

Cody Helton

Oct 30, 2018
Never mind, I found the part. I think I'll get that and a upgraded carburator. Anything else I would need? Thanks!